12 hour shifts

Options
Anyone else out there like me that is a nurse or in some other profession in which you have to work 12 hour shifts and have little to no time to eat anything? Just wondering what other on the go constantly people do to keep themselves from "pigging out" once their shift is over? Any suggestions for healthy (not nasty chalky) shakes or anything else I can prepare and eat quicly with out totally ruining my diet when I get home? Thanks!!

Replies

• GrandmasterZiggy
    Options
    Hey you should friend request JenWWJourney she is in my friends list, she is a nurse too and works at night 12hr shifts and deals with some of the same problems. Y'all could share interesting ideas...

GL
  • androidgal
    androidgal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hello, I also work shifts, but not 12 hour ones at the moment...

I mostly make sure I have at least 2 apples with me and some nuts, and also try and get healthy snack foods as I know how hard it can be stopping to eat...and my digestion wont let me eat sandwiches unless I have a good hour to sti down after eating which is impossible most shifs...

If you do have fruit its a good idea to have it first as it gets digested easy and keeps your blood sugar levels stable then if still hungry try something else approx 20 mins later...

oat cakes and peanut butter are good also for blood sugar levels....feel free to add me as a friend I am considering starting a new group for shift workers... :))
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I had this problem at my job and I am hypoglycemic so it was a health issue for me also. cheeseheads, bananas,carrot sticks,prepacked trail mix from sams club has lots of protein and only two hundred calories.those things were easy for me to shove in my mouth and keep going!tuna salad or egg salad with lots of celery and you can use celery sticks instead of crackers to scoop it onto. if you have time but the previous items are easy to remember and if you pack a lunch bag with your total calories for the day, voila, no worries, just quick add calories when you get home. you dont always have to eat everything but it is really easy to count after a day of being on your feet.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This is about a lifestyle change. Preparation is key. You must get breaks - 10 - 15 minutes. Just prepare yourself even a sandwich and a piece of fruit. That takes 5 minutes to eat. Hydrate yourself regularly and eat your large meal BEFORE you go to work. Then you get to burn it off helping others.
    There are also lots of wonderful 400-500 calorie microwave meals available and many of them go on sale reguarly. If you eat filling meals without oveindulging then you will not need to overea after work.
    Good luck. Just plan!
  • annabellj
    Options
    unfortunately some jobs dont give you breaks even though they are supposed to. they just dont give a rats!
  • androidgal
    Options
    Carrot sticks are a great idea!! thanks for that one, sometimes I get bored with fruit which I eat a lot especially at work as so easy to digest.....but most veggies are not so nice raw except perhaps corn on the cob!!

Sometimes I take in homemade green smoothies but they can be messy but very good for energy although not so good if you are on nights as they contain around 300-500mls water so not ideal before you sleep...

Not keen on microwaved food myself...due to all the additives they have and personally microwaves change the structure of food making it harder for the body to digest...(although if you have no problems with digestion you might be ok with that)

Soups are good after work in the winter and porridge is filling and not too bad on calories...
  • loopie2534
    Options
    On some nights, as a nurse in a very demanding hospital setting, you don't have a choice just because you are so crazy busy and if you "force" a break it could mean someones life....I always try to squeeze in a break, but don't always suceed. I do however always carry water with me :)
  • androidgal
    Options
    I agree with the post on not getting breaks...if its busy and you work for emergency services...sometimes breaks are just not possible...
  • androidgal
    Options
    yup water is crucial....and can also help control appetite a bit ....I can handle no breaks but I have to drink water quite often or my voice would get too strained.....
  • annabellj
    Options
    although not a nurse, I feel for you! I kept those packs of trail mix in my pocket because sometimes I couldnt even make it to the breakroom and I would start to feel light headed. No time to sit or stop.But time to stuff that in my mouth when I got the chance, lol. At least I never ended up on the floor, but quit that job so no worries!