heart friendly exercise???

Options
Just wondering if there are people out there who have a heart condition that limits their physical activity. I was born with a heart malformation but I love to be active. My heart beat is completely irregular and I find it difficult to know when I can keep going and when I need to stop. Any suggestions of activities that are not dangerous but effecive???

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor that question. Someone else with a heart defect is going to have different protocol than you have. This is NOT a safe place to get that kind of advice.
  • AMKO28
    Options
    Good point! I know myself pretty well and have spoken with my cardiologist many times so I know my limitations. I just thought that someone may have some low impact exercises that are new to me and that I could try out. I feel like I don't have enough options when it comes to low cardio impact exercises...I always do the same thing.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor that question. Someone else with a heart defect is going to have different protocol than you have. This is NOT a safe place to get that kind of advice.
    Agreed! When you speak to your doctor it might be worth asking him about whether using a heart rate monitor would be a good idea when you exercise too so that you can keep an eye on your heart rate, but you definitely need to check with him as to what exercise you can safely do. Good for you wanting to keep active and I hope your doctor gives you the advice you want to hear :happy:
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Tai chi is supposed to be very good for you and very relaxing too (provided you're not doing combat tai chi!) That might be something to suggest to your doctor, or perhaps one of the gentler forms of yoga. I would recommend going to a class though rather than doing it at home and always let your instructor know of your heart condition and make sure your doctor is in agreement with you taking the class. Walking is always a good option. If you wear a heart rate monitor while walking it may help you to know when you are doing too much but again this is really a discussion you need to have with a medical professional.
  • AMKO28
    Options
    Thanks! I've never done Tai Chi...I will look into it.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but I would say something like walking (outside or on a treadmill) or yoga that would not put strain on your heart, but still keep you active. I have done tai chi and I would also think that this would be a good exercise.
    Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.
  • daisynsunshine
    Options
    HI. I have Mital vp and hbp. B4 my dr. released me to a weight loss plan they did a stress test. they told me to walk slowly and if I get dizzy stop. I cycle on my bike and do leg lifts low impact stuff like that. I can't burn alot of calories a day right now but they said that with time I will make my heart stronger and will be able to do more. just take it slow. I do keep walking if I get a little dizzy but if it gets bad I lie down.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but I would say something like walking (outside or on a treadmill) or yoga that would not put strain on your heart, but still keep you active. I have done tai chi and I would also think that this would be a good exercise.
    Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

In general (but I still say ask your doc!) I agree about walking and yoga. Also, swimming, biking (avoid hills) and you could even get on an elliptical and just go slow on a low level. I would imagine you could modify any exercise to fit your needs.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Check out www.scoobysworkshop.com He has a section for that kind of stuff.
    Also try www.bodybuilding.com forums and ask experts who work with ppl with your condition.
    You never know...one may be in your neighborhood!
    HUGS!
  • AMKO28
    Options
    Thanks people!!!! I really appreciate the suggestions and encouragement :)