What is the most difficult?

Options
Hey Guys!

I was wondering what you all think is the hardest part about losing weight. For me, it is getting discouraged easily and viewing my goal of weight loss (53 lbs) as impossible. What do you struggle with and how do you overcome it?

:)

Replies

• mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Dealing with the people you love the most who are happy having you the way you are and will do anything, ANYTHING, to keep you that way:sad:

Edit to add: haven't overcome it. I just try to carry on.
  • Cassandrat83
    Options
    I've found there are 2 things I'm struggling with. Meeting the calorie requirement (I'm not eating enough) and finding time to exercise. I know there are no excuses but I'm working 10-11 hour days waitressing so by the end of the day I am exhausted.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I struggle with staying motivated when I don't have a goal or challenge ahead of me. I plan runs and train for them.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I struggle with motivation loss. It comes and goes. I just had a long stretch of having NO motivation at all, but luckily it has finally come back to me, for now at least :) To overcome it I just keep logging on to mfp every day, even if I don't log and food or exercise. I like to see what my friends are up to bc they all kick butt every day so it really inspires me. It may take a while, but I always want to be back in the club of posting calorie burns and "under calorie goal" days!

If you get discouraged looking at your overall weight loss, try to get excited about the next five pounds. I think of my weight loss in 5 lb increments, meaning that when I weight 165, I was excited to get below 160, then i wanted to see 155, and so on. That breaks it up really nicely and is more manageable in my opinion! Good luck! :)
  • MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Overcoming my self doubt!!! Not seeing myself at 182 pounds but at 155. Saying positive things about myself. Really I could go on for awhile. :-)
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling because I lost 3kgs at the start and instantly hit a plateau and am still on it. I often feel like if my body isn't responding to better food and exercise why should I bother?
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    What I find the most difficult is knowing when enough is enough. I push myself too hard when it comes to exercise, my mentality being 'you've spent most of your life doing nothing, SO MAKE UP FOR IT!'
    I'm slowly trying to teach myself that any step, as small as it is, is a step in the right direction. Whether I'm making strides or baby-steps towards my goal, I only need to make sure I am headed towards my goal... faster is better, but not the crux of what this is all about.
  • chefgorman
    chefgorman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    WOW!! I can relate to that statement.
  • cjpg
    Options
    I struggle with motivation loss. It comes and goes. I just had a long stretch of having NO motivation at all, but luckily it has finally come back to me, for now at least :) To overcome it I just keep logging on to mfp every day, even if I don't log and food or exercise. I like to see what my friends are up to bc they all kick butt every day so it really inspires me. It may take a while, but I always want to be back in the club of posting calorie burns and "under calorie goal" days!

If you get discouraged looking at your overall weight loss, try to get excited about the next five pounds. I think of my weight loss in 5 lb increments, meaning that when I weight 165, I was excited to get below 160, then i wanted to see 155, and so on. That breaks it up really nicely and is more manageable in my opinion! Good luck! :)

Not to sound harsh, but maybe you're motivation loss could, at least in part, be a result of you not taking full responsibility of why you are losing weight. For instance, you said 'luckily it has finally come back to me', likes it a power outside of your control.

I feel I would be amiss if I didn't say you have the will to do whatever you want, and luck and waiting has nothing to do with it!
  • chefgorman
    chefgorman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Dealing with the people you love the most who are happy having you the way you are and will do anything, ANYTHING, to keep you that way:sad:

Wow I can relate to that statement..
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

totally, my mum and husband tell me all the time that i look fine, you don't need to go to the gym ....... yes i do, 1. i look ok but a little extra fat loss would be good. 2. i go to the gym not only to loose weight but to feel great, energetic, be fit. they just don't get it. i should be able to value their opinion but i just cant. sometimes you have to be your own worst enemy because your the only one who is honest with yourself!!
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I struggle with....that I don't have enough time in my schedule to get to the gym. I work alot of hours and I don't have enough time to get that in. There never seems to be enough time in one day...

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • alisonwww
    Options
    that's alot of exercise isn't it?
  • wesmellott
    Options
    I think that setting small goals is def. helpful!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have trouble not seeing myself as that fat guy who still weighs somewhere between 270 and 289 lbs. I've gotten somewhat better at it but I still gravitate towards the big and tall section when shopping for clothes if I don't watch myself and my first response when I faced with some sort of strenuous physical activity is "I'm too big". I'm working on both of them but it's hard to adjust the way I think since I've been the "fat friend" for most of my adult life.
  • ynms
    ynms Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The most difficult thing for me is to stay away from junk food. I'm used to being able to eat whatever i want and when i want. I find myself eating things i know i shouldn't be eating. Its not healthy for my body and it wont help me reach my goals. I love love love junk food! I have to train myself to stay away from these things in order to stay healthy and reach my personal goals.
  • cjpg
    Options
    I have trouble not seeing myself as that fat guy who still weighs somewhere between 270 and 289 lbs. I've gotten somewhat better at it but I still gravitate towards the big and tall section when shopping for clothes if I don't watch myself and my first response when I faced with some sort of strenuous physical activity is "I'm too big". I'm working on both of them but it's hard to adjust the way I think since I've been the "fat friend" for most of my adult life.

Buddy, I struggle with that one almost daily and didn't fully realise it until I read this post!
    I used to be so big, I'd try to give myself extra room when moving about a bus/train, and be scared to sit down because I might squash the person next to me!
    Now, I'm happy to say, its the small things I hold onto the most - like being able to comfortable sit in the middle of a 3-seater and not be brushed against anyone... it's sounds so ridiculous, but I'm proud of it!
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    mainly my family m hubby and mother in law say i dont need to lose weight and i dont need the gym, but thats not the case, id rather they be honset to me and say you do need it and push me more, and also meeting my calorie goal for the day, mfp is my new family and the incentive i need to keep going! :heart:
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    mainly my family m hubby and mother in law say i dont need to lose weight and i dont need the gym, but thats not the case, id rather they be honset to me and say you do need it and push me more, and also meeting my calorie goal for the day, mfp is my new family and the incentive i need to keep going! :heart:

They don't understand Em, yet. It's not JUST about weight loss, we are completely changing our lifestyle. By 2012 they will see!
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Having the patience all the while that weight loss is sloooooow. 9 lbs in 4 months isn't too bad but it's the following 2 month plateau.
    Knowing I"ll have to try to up protein, cut back carbs plus only eat half of my exercise calories back even though I'm still hungry at night when I'm done eating all I should be eating. And hoping I'll have the patience to keep at it if that doesn't work.