What to eat pre-run or pre-workout?

Options
I'm getting back into fitness after a 15 year hiatus. I was a distance runner in high school. A lot changes in 15 years. I find that I can't just pop up out of bed and go running like I did back then. Anyone have some advice on what to eat prior to running and how far in advance I should eat? Running or working out on an empty stomach makes me weak and shakey. I wonder what the best foods to eat and how much before I work out?? I would love some help with this. Thanks!

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana about 30 minutes before I run and an apple after.
  • la_flaca
    la_flaca Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    something with carbs and a little protein, but not too fiber-y....half English muffin with peanut butter and half a banana....sometimes I can manage a packet of instant oatmeal and/or a hard boiled egg.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I second the toast and peanut butter idea :D Oatmeal's fantastic as well!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just talked to my weight loss doc about this today! He said to load up on the protein rather than the carbs. So...that's what I'm going to try!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana sandwich and a glass of chocolate milk... before and after.

Decent blend of carbs and proteins.
  • LibbyG77
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice! I will have to pass on the bananas as I have a slight food allergy to them. But I can definitely do the toast or english muffin with peanut butter or the oatmeal. I think I need the carbs prior to running and will eat the protein after. Back in high school I always ate a handful of Teddy Grahams prior to every race. LOL It just seemed to give me a good race.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the allergy. I do it for the Potassium. I find I don't cramp when I have one, maybe substitute something with Potassium.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/4 cup steel cut oats with 1 tablespoon almond butter an hour before my run. After, I eat a high protein yogurt.
  • LibbyG77
    Options
    I read that dried apricots, dates and even yogurt are high potassium. Maybe a couple dried appricots or even a fig newton or two before the run?
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    what about running on a empty stomach... I fun early in the morning and dont tend to have breakfast until I get to work.
  • LibbyG77
    Options
    KatieCuth, I have tried that. It leaves me weak and shakey. Even dizzy sometimes. That was why I was asking for advice on what to eat before my run. :)
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just talked to my weight loss doc about this today! He said to load up on the protein rather than the carbs. So...that's what I'm going to try!

That strikes me as odd - when you run easy, you burn fat. Run hard, you burn more carbs. Hit your aerobic threshold and all you burn are carbs. No carbs, no energy, especially over a distance. Protein is great for mending muscle after your run and serious athletes need more of it daily than a sedentary person, but you can't use it for energy. I'd be curious to know what your doctor says if you mention that to him.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I eat a Luna Bar (protein bar for women) :happy:
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    KatieCuth, I have tried that. It leaves me weak and shakey. Even dizzy sometimes. That was why I was asking for advice on what to eat before my run. :)

Can I eat a banana and run straight away? as Im getting up at 5.30am lol!
  • hloftin32
    hloftin32 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    KatieCuth. I eat a banana within 15 minutes of my run and i feel fine so maybe you could try that. As far as the OP, I am with you, i can not run without a little something something in my tummy! :) english muffin with peanut butter and banana on top is delish!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options

That strikes me as odd - when you run easy, you burn fat. Run hard, you burn more carbs. Hit your aerobic threshold and all you burn are carbs. No carbs, no energy, especially over a distance. Protein is great for mending muscle after your run and serious athletes need more of it daily than a sedentary person, but you can't use it for energy. I'd be curious to know what your doctor says if you mention that to him.

I'll have to ask him. As a side note, I don't have a whole lot of bodyfat to burn and I'm not trying to lose weight. It's more about building and maintaining muscle since I'm training to do a triathalon. In any case, I do tend to eat plenty of carbs during the day--I just am not going to carb load. In the end, I think whatever works for the individual is what is good. Prior to my talk with him today, I was eating a bran muffin with almond butter prior to the run or a smoothie with banana and then after that eating a protein bar.