little question

Options
So, this past week, I have felt like I have needed a coke after lunchtime. Well, is one coke everyday for a week going to be bad for me if I still stay in my daily calorie intake?

Replies

• summerchick1785
    Options
    So, this past week, I have felt like I have needed a coke after lunchtime. Well, is one coke everyday for a week going to be bad for me if I still stay in my daily calorie intake?
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay with in you daily calories I don't think that it will hurt. I know you will probably get lots of replies about how bad pop is for you, but I personally don't see the harm as long as you account for it. Have you tried diet? I love diet pepsi and it saves me all the calories from regular pop.
  • wiesk1
    wiesk1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Just be sure to drink plenty of water as well. Pop can actually dehydrate you, probably not the one can a day, but it might add up, so just keep in mind to be drinking enough water and I don't see the problem!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    If I drink any at all, it is canned caffeine free diet coke, the only one I can really get down. A 12 pack will last me for a couple of years. I don't like soda, or tea, or juice. So I have one or two cups of coffee a day and then about 80 ounces of water.

That being said, there is no nutritional value in soda so I would encourage you to find a healthy replacement in the future. Let it me one of the things you learn as you go. Personally I would not make a switch to the diets as the research from artificial sweeteners shows it to be more harmful than the real stuff.

My vote is, drink the soda if you need it, add the calories (and whatever else) and see how your body responds. Also, is your coke a 12 ounce can or a 64 ounce 7-11 special?? Big difference. Weight loss and lifestyle changes are about recognizing what you want to change and making steps towards improving those habits. That will be different for each person. So enjoy until you one day decide it's really giving you nothing of value and want something else.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

here are the numbers for a coke (note: this is for a 12 oz. can, NOT a 16 oz. bottle)

Calories 143(Kilojoules 599)

Total Fat 0 g 0%
    Sat. Fat 0 g 0%
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 49 mg 2%
    Total Carbs. 39.9 g 13%
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugars 39.9 g
    Protein 0 g
    Potassium 0 mg

What does this mean? Well, sure, you can have it. But it's going to max out your daily sugar intake (or bring it close at least), and it's kind of a waste of calories. So go for it if you want, but they are very empty calories, as there is essentially no nutrience in it.
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options

here are the numbers for a coke (note: this is for a 12 oz. can, NOT a 16 oz. bottle)

Calories 143(Kilojoules 599)

Total Fat 0 g 0%
    Sat. Fat 0 g 0%
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
    Sodium 49 mg 2%
    Total Carbs. 39.9 g 13%
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugars 39.9 g
    Protein 0 g
    Potassium 0 mg

What does this mean? Well, sure, you can have it. But it's going to max out your daily sugar intake (or bring it close at least), and it's kind of a waste of calories. So go for it if you want, but they are very empty calories, as there is essentially no nutrience in it.

I agree. Especially when you are trying to reduce your calories, 143 calories can be used for something that will do your body good. Have you tried Coke Zero? It does taste very close to regular Coke and has nothing in it. I would still limit it but this would be a better solution than drinking full calories Coke.
  • dfra789
    dfra789 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking diet coke, I recently saw an article online and in several papers about how the body processes artifical sweetners and those that use them appear to gain more weight, has something to do with the way the body processes the chemicals.

Here is a link to one of these stories but there plenty of others: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20080211/artificial-sweeteners-increase-weight
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

"One Coke" probably won't hurt much, but...

A coke a day is around 1,050 calories a week. That's equal to 1.5-2 hours of exercise at high level depending on your body weight and choice of exercise.

So, its up to you, but this is another way to look at it.

Good luck!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I read this article, be wary, they stop short of saying it DOES cause weight gain, they only say that, in rats, (only 27 rats in total by the way) the ones that were given splenda had a propensity to stop associating sweet flavors with caloric intake, and ate more. While it is the beginning of a beginning of a theory, it's far from conclusive. And While splenda has been on the market a short time, saccharin, and aspartame have been out for over 20 years, and have been studied and tested to death. No main stream labs have reported either one as having averse effects on healthy adults (that I could find at least) With the possible execption of pregnant or nursing women with aspartame. Infact, besides the FDA (I know how some of you guys feel about those jokers), The American Diabetes Association and American Heart Association both endorse the two as safe alternatives to sugar.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I believe that one coke a week is more than fine as long as you plan for that in your calories.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If that's your one vice, go for it. If I drink pop, it's always regular. I'm a bit wary of sweetners. In addition to the article mentioned, I have a girlfriend who had abnormal pap cultures which were traced back to her diet pop consumption. Abnormal cells in your body because of diet? No thanks!

The key is to include it in your daily caloric balance and limit the caffeine: it is a diuretic (will dehydrate you), and often causes cramping in the legs. So, enjoy every last sip if it's worth it to you! :drinker:
  • littlespoon
    littlespoon Posts: 165
    Options
    I read this article, be wary, they stop short of saying it DOES cause weight gain, they only say that, in rats, (only 27 rats in total by the way) the ones that were given splenda had a propensity to stop associating sweet flavors with caloric intake, and ate more. While it is the beginning of a beginning of a theory, it's far from conclusive. And While splenda has been on the market a short time, saccharin, and aspartame have been out for over 20 years, and have been studied and tested to death. No main stream labs have reported either one as having averse effects on healthy adults (that I could find at least) With the possible execption of pregnant or nursing women with aspartame. Infact, besides the FDA (I know how some of you guys feel about those jokers), The American Diabetes Association and American Heart Association both endorse the two as safe alternatives to sugar.

I not only read the article, but I went and found the original study. What a load of ***** (insert whichever word comes to mind first). When you read studies (not what the media puts out about studies, but actual studies, there are SO many factors you have to address, most of which unless you have SOME kind of statistical background (I do in case youre wondering) you arent able to read the actual figures. The FIRST question you have to ask is who did the study and who paid them to do it (research is very expensive).

If you're honest and look around, its a chicken and egg theory anyway....
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I stopped soda in September07. I love soda but I know if I drink that soda it's one less water bottle I will drink. If you can try to wein your self off the stuff. I stopped buying cans and went to bottles so that I could give myself smaller and smaller amounts each day until I didn't need it anymore. It wasn't easy I had headaches for the first two weeks. I wish you luck either way.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    They sell those little 100 cal cans of coke.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options

I not only read the article, but I went and found the original study. What a load of ***** (insert whichever word comes to mind first). When you read studies (not what the media puts out about studies, but actual studies, there are SO many factors you have to address, most of which unless you have SOME kind of statistical background (I do in case youre wondering) you arent able to read the actual figures. The FIRST question you have to ask is who did the study and who paid them to do it (research is very expensive).

If you're honest and look around, its a chicken and egg theory anyway....

Ha Ha Ha :laugh: I think every article should come with an introduction to statistics! TOTALLY different reading experience when you understand p. values!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem after I worked out and after lunch or dinner. I found that if I added a little fruit and yogurt that took care of the sugar I was probably really wanting. It may not have any nutritional value to you...as many here have said, but if you keep it in your calories then you should be fine.

Personally I would have the fruit and/or a bit of yogurt but sometimes you just have to have an ice cold coke.
  • Lydia28
    Lydia28 Posts: 2
    Options
    I keep having cravings for cokes also lately but we drink Coke Zero typically with our dinner every evening which takes some of the craving away.