Weight Fluctuation

Options
My weight never really knows what it's doing. I had been weighing myself once a week for a while but noticed how it kept going up and down, even though my diet/exercise hadn't changed. For the past week I've stepped on the scales several times each day and I've noticed that my weight fluctuates a lot. During a day it will fluctuate up and down within about 3kg, but within a week it can go down and up within 10kg.

How the hell am I supposed to know if I've lost weight? One week it's 77, then it's back to 82 the next, then down to 75, then back up to 80... I just don't get it! When is the best time to weigh in? Should I reduce it to once a month or something??

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, and sometimes multiple times a day. I only log my weight when it stays at a new low for more than three days.

So, if I'm 157 today, and 158 tomorrow, I don't log the 157 until I can see it again on two more days. Then, I count it as weight lost. I might creep back up to 158, but again, unless it happens for more than three days, I don't count it.

Also, it helps to weigh at the same time everyday, wearing more or less the same clothes. I used to weigh in my pajamas, in the morning, but now I weigh naked and get more accurate results. Clothes weigh a lot, and as the weather gets colder, you'll find yourself piling more of them on.

This might be a little gross, but I usually weigh in the morning after my bathroom duties are done.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    It's just really screwing with my self esteem. I hate it when I see under 80 but then the day/week it'll be over 80... argh!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Water weight
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I can be 72.3 in the morning and 75 at night. weight changes in the day so weigh in at the same time of day. I do it first thing in the morning after I pee.

If you don't drink enough water, eat a big meal or even exercise your weight can be temporarily higher which is why I don't bother weighing the day after lifting weights or a hard workout and never at night....unless I am curious to see just how much weight i can gain in a day (I read somewhere that 1kg is normal well I do 3 sometimes 4kg lol all gone the next morning or the one after that)
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Weighing in multiple times during the day, or even every day, is not usually helpful. Your weight is going to naturally fluctuate as someone said based on time of day, month, intake, and exercise. If you weigh yourself once a week consistent day and time and you aren't seeing a change, maybe it's time to mix up your workouts, as you mentioned these haven't changed.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I weigh as soon as I dry off from my morning shower. Every Friday.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Water weight, my weight fluctuates 2-3kg sometimes, it's very frustrating. I guess best thing to do is go by measurements/clothes sizes and other things to know if you're losing. The scales haven't budged for me and I have even gained a little the last week(ish) and yet my clothes feel loser and people are saying I look like I've lost more weight... so who knows!

I think it's worse if you're a girl cause there are period hormones that make you retain fluid.
  • RedHeadChick
    RedHeadChick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Pick once a day to weigh yourself! Stop stressing over the number. The best time to weigh in is in the morning when you get up. As you progress through the rest of your day your weight will depend on what your are doing, eating, if you are sitting for long periods of time, drinking enough water, if it is that time of the month... A lot goes into how your body will react through out the day. So it is important to pick 1 time in the day to weigh yourself and then don't look at the scale again until the next day at the same time. You will get a better idea of what is going on if you do it this way.

Also, I would suggest a measuring tape. You will see more positive results by measuring yourself. Do it in the morning and measure once a week. It is less stressful then the scale.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    So I guess in every way I haven't lost any weight as I still am just as big and if anything my clothes have got tighter. Yay. Eating healther and exercising is making me gain... woo...
  • ritajean3
    Options
    mmmmm how many cals a day are you netting?
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    are you eating at the same time of the day?
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    You weight will fluctuate constantly throughout the week. you only want to weigh yourself once a week. Pick a day and weigh yourself first thing in the morning in as less clothes as possible. Weight will fluctuate constantly through out the week, and water weight is a killer.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    Netting at LEAST 1200 a day, and that's only if I'm really busy or something so don't get to eat as much as I really want to.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with your GP just to find out if it's a thyroid thing - I don't know that much about it but if you are positive your logging is accurate then you may have some sort of underlying issue (which could be treated with medication).
  • ritajean3
    Options
    Netting at LEAST 1200 a day, and that's only if I'm really busy or something so don't get to eat as much as I really want to.

how tall are you? If you are very short it may be too high to loose weight and if you are tall it may be too low

Also are you sure your portion sizes are correct?

I second thyroid function test. Under active thyroid can lower you metabolism. It leads to hair lose, depression, constipation and fatigue amongst other things.
  • flossybach
    flossybach Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    By all means weigh yourself as much as you like, just take notice of it once a week. Remove any variances by making it the same time of the day and the same day of the week. the scales should face the same way and you should either be in no clothes or the same ones each week.

Good luck :happy:

6969471.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning after my shower and before I eat. You may want to track your sodium (water weight), I noticed that is one thing that makes my weight go up and down.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    weight weight weight... going to fluctuate. You can guess and stress over all the why's you won't but conjecture doesn't lead anyway but to more questions.

Try measuring instead and weekly to monthly - you won't see much difference day to day which is the point.

Weigh all you want to get that instant gratification and measuring is far more accurate and reliable. Now if THAT fluctuates alot, then you KNOW there's something more to be looked at. Weight has a thousand variables; measuring doesn't.
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's the trend that matters and not the up and down each week.
    First, only weigh yourself once a week and try to stick to first thing in the morning, after you've had that early morning bathroom visit.
    If your weight goes up in a particular week, see what you ate the day before. If you've been good all week but had starches such as breads or pastas or something high in sodium the day before you weighed yourself, they'll hold water in your body which will artificially hold your weight up.
    The human body reacts in different ways to food for each individual.
    Second, don't weigh yourself every day, unless you want the men in white coats to visit you. You'll drive yourself nuts and it's a sure fire way to failure. Just use common sense when eating and consider only weighing yourself once or twice a month.
    From the numbers you gave the trend is down in general so that's what matters.
    Hide those scales for a while and just relax.