knee and ankle pain

Options
Since I have started doing the 30 Day Shred - I have been having ankle and knee pain. I assume it is from all of the jumping she has you do during cardio.

My question is:

Is there any way to strengthen your knees and ankles so that they don't hurt during this type of exercise?

Thanks!:drinker:

Replies

• wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Since I have started doing the 30 Day Shred - I have been having ankle and knee pain. I assume it is from all of the jumping she has you do during cardio.

My question is:

Is there any way to strengthen your knees and ankles so that they don't hurt during this type of exercise?

Thanks!:drinker:
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    I had the same problem, except it was my ankles and shins. It got so bad that I could barely walk andI had to stop doing that workout all together.:sad: I really liked it too!

So if someone has any ideas, please let me know too:flowerforyou:

150201.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club! My knees and feet are feeling horrible...for me, its just bad biomechanics and I try to strengthen what I can! Women's knees tend to go in more than men which make us more prone to knee issues! It sux! :explode:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    What I've been told, and it's also been my own experience ( I had knee surgery on both knees, at different times, when I was a teenager), is that eventually, the aches and pains will go away as your body conditions itself.

You would think the opposite is true, and for a long time, that's what every one thought, but I guess the studies have shown that the more you exercise, the more your body builds up cushioning against it and you eventually will not feel it.

The key is obviously to stick with it, and of course, be CAREFUL you are not causing yourself harm. Perhaps some chondroitin supplements also - can't hurt to try them.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I don't have tips but I can say make sure your form is correct-- Having the wrong form can hurt you --
  • thincindi
    Options
    I would also say to make sure you have good shoes. Most people pronate (walk more on the outside of their foot). Our weight should be squarely placed on the centers of the ball and heel. Proper shoes can correct for pronation, but you have to go to a running store or something to get fit for them. I had horrible foot/knee issues (and I don't even pronate) from using cheap shoes and now I have no problems.

Good luck!
  • doctork29
    doctork29 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Find time to do some strength training and get specific with a good leg workout. The stronger the muscles are around those joints, the more support those muscles will give. It will also strengthen the ligaments attached to those bones giving you more support. This should help alleviate the pain.
  • heather93277
    Options
    I don't have pain but have a terrible cracking/popping sound in my joints since I've been working out. I think I'm falling apart LOL!! what would cause all the noise?
  • xhanson
    xhanson Posts: 18
    Options
    I just bought some of those gel inserts that go in your shoes this morning. My heels have been killing me!! I think they had ones for knees and ankles too. Hope they work!!!
  • RyanTompsett
    Options
    190261.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    What I've been told, and it's also been my own experience ( I had knee surgery on both knees, at different times, when I was a teenager), is that eventually, the aches and pains will go away as your body conditions itself.

You would think the opposite is true, and for a long time, that's what every one thought, but I guess the studies have shown that the more you exercise, the more your body builds up cushioning against it and you eventually will not feel it.

The key is obviously to stick with it, and of course, be CAREFUL you are not causing yourself harm. Perhaps some chondroitin supplements also - can't hurt to try them.
    Have to agree here, mine were KILLLING me when I started working out, I think it kinda shocked them to have to exercise, now they hurt VERY little or not at all, depending on my intensity, I noticed that when I run, very little that I do, they sometimes hurt, but it's getting better. Like it's been said be CAREFUL!!!:flowerforyou:
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I bought the gel inserts a few days ago also. They helped the pain in my calf, but now my ankles hurt. I did two runs with them in and then took them out for the third, but my ankles are still swollen and ache. I am hoping it had nothing to do with the inserts and it's just TTOM. I will rest today and see how tomorrow is. I love my runs and don't want to give them up. good luck...