Cottage. Cheese.

Options
As I am now working with a fairly strict budget, I decided to buy some out-of-my-usual-repertoire cottage cheese. I don't know if it's the brand (Daisy) or if it's the fat content (2% vs 1.5%), but it is heinous! I had to force myself to choke it down for a snacky when I usually love it.

Does anyone have any serving suggestions to get rid of it without having to throw it away? Or should I just give up and try to find a practical purpose for it, like for patching drywall or as a soothing face mask?

FYI I normally eat it with some raisins, cashews or chopped up fresh fruit.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I love cottage cheese!! :D

Some put it in with protein powder, it tastes like a dessert i guess xD
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    you could try blending it up and adding some stuff to it for mac and cheese, or stuffed shells...
    im kind of a cottage cheese snob...really only like Darigold.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i have some in my fridge right now... purchased about a week ago and still unopened. not a big fan, but do know that it's got a decent amount of protein and like you, was looking for something a little different.

i only think i will like it savory...the idea of sweet cottage cheese is not a pleasant one (imo).

maybe with some fresh cucumbers and tomatoes...and a little black pepper?
    or maybe on a green salad?
    maybe with some whole grain crackers?

good luck. sorry i am not much help.:ohwell:
  • swim018
    Options
    I only like 1% and usually go for Ae. I add lot of pepper and usually eat it with either fresh tomatoes or applesauce. Also good with peaches. I do not like 2% or fat free...
  • sojojoshua
    Options
    We Indians make delcious curries with it.. u can search for paneer curry recipes on google.. we call cottage cheese, Paneer. Hope it helps..
  • wondergirl1003
    wondergirl1003 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ahh... Cucumbers and tomatoes actually sound good. And I happen to have them in stock.

What's the deal with the 2%? I mean, .5% makes THAT much of a difference in, not really the taste, but the texture? It was so thick and hard. (I'll go ahead and say it for you... "that's what she said"). Blech!
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    I love to add some of the sugar free applesauce on top of the fat free cottage cheese. Then is it bearable :love:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Love Cottage Cheese- plain, with fruit, in recipes as substitution for higher cal ingredient....

Do you think it's gone bad or you just don't like the taste of it?

Definitely going to try with protein powder... great idea sunshine88
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the fat content that is giving you the problem, more likely curd size or just an off batch. I like mine with extra whey. When I buy it I always shake it a little bit to make sure there is enough whey to my liking. If I happen to have some that does not have enough whey, I add some skim milk to it.

I like Daisy brand it is not any different in taste or texture than any other brand, so I'm thinking you maybe just have a batch that is lacking in whey or you just have the wrong curd size.
  • ak_honda
    ak_honda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love Lucerne brand, and can only eat small curd :P

Cottage Cheese is awesome with crackers :-) I buy my crackers from the hippie food section.
  • wondergirl1003
    wondergirl1003 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love Lucerne brand, and can only eat small curd :P

Cottage Cheese is awesome with crackers :-) I buy my crackers from the hippie food section.

Would the hippie food section be in the same aisle with peace and free love?

1. It has not gone bad. Yet.
    2. It's small curd, but it's drier than what I'm used to and the curds seem "tougher". I've put whey powder in my cottage cheese before, but I think doing it with this stuff would dry it out even more. Maybe if I add some milk it would even it out.
    3. Applesauce may work well to fix the consistency. I'll have to try that.
    4. I'm going to have to look up some Indian food recipes for sure.
    5. Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated.
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    its AMAZING with pineapple in it:)
  • ak_honda
    ak_honda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    its AMAZING with pineapple in it:)

also with strawberry fruit spread!! (takes a bit to mix, but it's healthier than jelly or jam)