Insomnia

Options
How can not sleeping affect weight loss? Does it affect it at all? I usually get 4-5 hours of sleep a night.

Replies

• Nurse_Ratched
    Options
    Well, I took 10 mg of Ambien last night...and I still tossed and turned in my bed. I finally gave up about 3 a.m. Working night shift really messed me up. I just want to be able to get some good sleep on my nights off!
  • buhbuhbeccuh
    Options
    Well, I took 10 mg of Ambien last night...and I still tossed and turned in my bed. I finally gave up about 3 a.m. Working night shift really messed me up. I just want to be able to get some good sleep on my nights off!

I'm trying to stay away from sleeping pills. But that sucks it didn't work for you :( It's weird, on the days I'm not doing anything, I can sleep. But on the days I have work or have to wake up early for something, I can't.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    It does affect muscle building, so indirectly weight loss in way.
    On the other hand, you probably burn a few extra cals for being awake longer.

It's very hard to quantify though...
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It does affect muscle building, so indirectly weight loss in way.
    On the other hand, you probably burn a few extra cals for being awake longer.

It's very hard to quantify though...

As long as you aren't eating during those extra awake hours.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

I've worked night shift for the past 3 years and the only thing that works for me is melatonin. It's not a sleeping pill, but something natural your body makes anyway. No side effects...just restful sleep.
  • determinedcrystal
    determinedcrystal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    i cant sleep right now :( almost 5am
  • Nurse_Ratched
    Options
    My sentiments, exactly!
  • Nurse_Ratched
    Options
    I think I will give melatonin a try... thanks.