Boredom during runs

Options
So during my last mile of my 5 mile run I found myself wanting to stop.... I wasn't too tired but my mind really felt bored for some strange reason and I really had to force myself to go on... I did finish the jog but it was weird.... it was if part of me seemed bored with running and I had to tell it to shut up and just focused on reaching the goal. How do you runners deal with this? I know once I get into lo.Ger runs Ill prob have the problem worst so I want to beat it now!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Do you listen to music while you run?

edit* spelling xD
  • larrysmith771
    Options
    Try changing the route you run, and take loads of MP3s. You could also try alternating different stages with slow/fast pace throughout your run, to mix things up.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yes. And I've only done 3 miles so far. It's like one side of my brain is making up excuses as to why it's ok to quit and the other side has to reason and tell me why I need to stay focused and complete the run. I make sure I just do one big loop that way no matter what I have to keep going even if I have to walk back.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    ipod
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Ipod^ for motivation
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I use a target and reward system.

work out something you would really like and set a distance you have to run to obtain that reward, when you get to the point in your run where you want to stop simply think of the reward you will get if you keep going.

Works a charm for me, my example from last month was to walk 100 miles in October, if i did i treated myself to a KFC at the end of the month, chicken has never tasted so good after earning it like that :smile:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    music. also sign up for 5k's. I do one a month. they keep me motivated to improve my times.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    iPod and focusing on things in the distance. In my head my runs go bin. Bus stop. Life belt. Pier. Lamp post. With me persuading myself to just get to the next stop - basically I focus on that item and just zone out ;-)
  • baxter07
    Options
    I use the Runkeeper app on my Iphone. Not only does it track my run but it also plays the songs that are on my phone.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, I get bored on the medium to short runs.. not the long runs (9,10,13 miles etc). I have to run down a checklist as if I'm talking to someone else: "I'm not hurting, I'm not out of breath, I'm not even tired. Now shut up. I'm not going to quit until I'm done with the goal miles." Pay attention to where your head is too: I find I get "down" when I'm looking down at the road.. I find that when I pull my shoulders back and lift my head to look at the sky or treeline, my mood instantly brightens and I'm not bored anymore.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    As others have suggested, music is good for the mind. Other ideas to keep your mind occupied are:

Think about every teacher you've ever had in chronological order.
    Think about every field trip you've ever been on.
    Think about every family vacation.
    Think about every place you want to visit.
    Think about the sport's events you've been to.
    Think about every major project you completed in elementary, middle, and high school.
    Think about your first date.

I think having a pocket of things to think about - really think about - helps.
  • kathas0trophal
    kathas0trophal Posts: 118 Member
    Options

work out something you would really like and set a distance you have to run to obtain that reward, when you get to the point in your run where you want to stop simply think of the reward you will get if you keep going.

Works a charm for me, my example from last month was to walk 100 miles in October, if i did i treated myself to a KFC at the end of the month, chicken has never tasted so good after earning it like that :smile:

hey that sounds at if it could work me. but I won 't do food rewards.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Join a running club. I joined a club about 2 years ago and I am running further and faster than I ever thought possible plus I have a whole new set of friends
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I-pod and a HRM...monitor gives you lots to do!!
  • Luvmysixpack
    Options
    I have felt this way the last couple of days. I run on a treadmill with a HRM. I watch my favorite TV shows and run. I joined a WL challenge to keep me focused.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options

hey that sounds at if it could work me. but I won 't do food rewards.

Haha, food reward was best example to use, everyone is different and other things are much more motivational to me than food :laugh: