Weights and Stuff.

Options
So I've been thinking and thinking.. and I think I'd like to venture into the intimidating world of weights and the like.

But i don't know where to start. I'm hoping (and I know it's early, but I'm a planner) to start putting focussed strength into my work out next year, but i wouldn't know where to start. I'm hoping some MFPers can steer me in the right direction - maybe some links or sound advice for getting started.

The New Rules of Lifting gets a lot of talk, but I don't know what it's about.. so yeah.

Anyone care to help me out? :) Should I join a gym, buy lots of equipment for home.. what's the best thing to do?

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated! The weight room is the best part of the gym because it makes you look hot and it is a great way to alleviate stress. Plus, as a girl you get mad kudos for even venturing inside ;)

It helps to have a plan - try the program picker here: http://rhainur.freehostia.com/programpicker/

Don't be afraid to go for heavy weights!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to get more into weights, too.

Bumping for ideas! :)
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i love body pump , weights , fun and fantastic!

because is a class i think its easier..
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I just joined a local gym about a week and a half ago. At my induction the Personal Trainer put me onto a weights program because he says I get more than enough cardio already. I have only tried the full program once so far because of screwing up my legs at spinning classes (knew I should have taken it easier first few times... damn pride). Hope to go back again tonight and do another session. Seems enjoyable so far, if a little bit scary :D
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    in all honesty. gym's are great, but lets look at the US Armed Forces.... Boot Camps in general, NO WEIGHTS but your body. So in all reality, sure they help but you don't need them. There is no better workout than using your own body as all the weight you need. Push ups, pull ups, squats... Core exercise is where its at. I would say start there before you spend any money on anything. See how your body reacts to some core exercises and go from there.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I have been thinking abotu using my own body - the local park nearby has, what I call, and adult playground.. with sit up thingie, chin-up bars and other things - plus random things around the circuit - maybe I should start by using that sort of thing?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I have been thinking abotu using my own body - the local park nearby has, what I call, and adult playground.. with sit up thingie, chin-up bars and other things - plus random things around the circuit - maybe I should start by using that sort of thing?

This is a good place to start.. but if you don't know what order to put them in, how many to do etc, then it's going to be useless.

I'd personally(if you can/have a place to do this) find a personal trainer that will sit down with you for a session... most do it for free. Have him/she show you what exercises to do, how to do them, etc.. esp if you want to work with free weights. If you don't have proper form while using free weights, you can get injured.. and thats not a good thing.

Also, new rules of lifting for women is a good book.. and it's all about weight lifting. It gives you workouts to do, meal plans(I believe) and modifications to do if you don't have the equipment it calls for.
  • Nikki582
    Options
    Would PTs REALLY do that for free?

I have a friend who's a PT, maybe I should pick his brain...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Would PTs REALLY do that for free?

I have a friend who's a PT, maybe I should pick his brain...

From what I can gather, it's pretty standard practice.. Mainly to get you to buy more sessions then after having one freebie, but if you only need one then thats all you have to do.

I would talk to your PT friend.. he can be a big help!
  • Nikki582
    Options
    Definitely joining a gym! :D My hubby cleared it so I'm so doing it! Will pick the brains of my PT mate (I don't like to ask him work off the clock...) and google..

If anyone's reading this - link me to anything decent.. including App recommendations. :D
  • CassandraD82
    CassandraD82 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Taking a BodyPump class at the gym is a really great introduction to weight lifting. The instructors are usually pretty helpful if you aren't quite sure your technique is right or if for, say, the "chest" track you don't feel the strain on your chest muscles but elsewhere in your body.

And you can take a lot of that knowledge out into the general gym area and lift free weights or use weight machines.

Otherwise I would recommend getting a personal trainer for a couple sessions and having them walk you through a basic program. One on one assistance is awesome and a great way to start on the right track and feel confident that you're doing the right thing.