weight gain

Options
Ok so here i am needing to have a foot put up me bum ... i need motavation i am getting disheartened by the weight gain instead of loss. I am now on a why bother mood . I am on meds for my epilepsy an syncope they were supposed to add a little weight but i have gained 4lbs in two weeks if less. I have no motavation here where i live since both my friends work and don't need to loose weight. I am slowly loosing intrest :sad:

Replies

• shazzahare
    Options
    I know exactly how u feel I am on medication and last week I did no exercise at all and put 4 lb on while still eating healthy. I then did hard exercise swam 7 mile and lost it all but cant see why i have to flog myself to death to lose it. drives me mad.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well keep in mind weight fluctuation is a normal occurrence is not linear. It may or may not be due to the medication but it's hard to tell without being able to look at your diary to understand what you are eating and weather or not it's truely enough. Also, do you exercise or do you have limitations due to your condition?
  • Yorkshirelass2
    Options
    I try to do different exercises and the one i can get into most is the wii dance because it's fun an has more cals burnt. I am g oing to try and do some treadmill this afternoon. It doesnt help being on meds though does it. I feel i have to work twice as hard which is prob not true and i am not the only one having a hard time i know this. I just am loosing that get up an go feeling. Wishing i had someone to walk with or at least here to back me up. I don't want to be moaning on here all the time it gets old.
  • Yorkshirelass2
    Options
    I have some limitations right now because i have epilepsy and nuero cardio syncope. Hence the meds. I am in the process of trying to get one of those brilliant dogs to help me with the seizure part and that may even help me with some confidence but without having any one to be here with me to exercise with or pick me up when i'm having that down day it's hard to do since i cant do some stuff alone.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I am starting my period tonight, and praying the weight gain is from that...:(

I was 97.5 last time, and now I am 101 D: I feel really depressed because I was so excited to have reached under 100...it was my dream haha. ^^

Maybe you should speak with your doctor about this! >.<
  • Yorkshirelass2
    Options
    I did an he said to expect a few lbs of weight gain. So i am expecting it .But thinking it's going to be harder to try an loose
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I did an he said to expect a few lbs of weight gain. So i am expecting it .But thinking it's going to be harder to try an loose

My wife is on medication for hypertension and it can add a few lbs but it's just initial. You can get past it and still lose weight. The biggest thing with my wife is she has to have low carb due to PCOS (as well) in order to lose weight. If you can open up your diary, I can take a look.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I know how you feel. I am starting my period tonight, and praying the weight gain is from that...:(

I was 97.5 last time, and now I am 101 D: I feel really depressed because I was so excited to have reached under 100...it was my dream haha. ^^

I sure hope you aren't talking lbs because even if you were 4"10 that weight isn't healthy.
  • Yorkshirelass2
    Options
    I have to have a certain amount of sodium infact a lot of sodium due to my syncope my body doesnt hold it and i have been put on a pill that holds it in. It could be water weight but still is disheartening... i think my food log is open a few people have looked at it.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I sure hope you aren't talking lbs because even if you were 4"10 that weight isn't healthy.

Sure it is, especially if she has a small frame. I am 5'2" and weighed 95lbs in high school without dieting. Totally healthy.
  • TahliS
    TahliS Posts: 52
    Options
    Thank you for adding that in about PCOS. I have this and couldnt work out why i was really struggling to get some good loss momentum going. Lower carbs it is! Thanks! :D
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options

Sure it is, especially if she has a small frame. I am 5'2" and weighed 95lbs in high school without dieting. Totally healthy.

Thank you! I can't stand people who are *obviously not* 4'10" pretending they know what it is like to actually BE 4'10" <.<
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thank you! I can't stand people who are *obviously not* 4'10" pretending they know what it is like to actually BE 4'10" <.<

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blweightfemale.htm

Here is my sources of information.. All state the same thing. Just a concern, not acting like I know everything.
  • _Peacebone_
    Options

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/army/l/blweightfemale.htm

Here is my sources of information.. All state the same thing. Just a concern, not acting like I know everything.

Your second chart (the military one) lists the minimum healthy weight for someone who is 4'10" as 91 lbs. The first chart is majorly skewed.
  • Yorkshirelass2
    Options
    I am 5 2 and apprently i am obese at a size 8 and 175lbs.. i wouldnt call that obese and if i went to that military chart I would have to loose a hell of a lot lol .. I used to weight 155 , here's the story , 3 years ago i got salmonella and couldnt eat for four months straight i lived off sprit an crackers horrible. I finally was able to eat and maintained a good weight, over this past year i have gained more and have gone from a six to a 8, which to me is a good enough size s ince at a size 4 i looked ill. Now i have gone up to 175 and want to get at least back down to 165 or 160. Not too much to ask but i am having a hard time of it. This is why i am getting disheartend ..
  • _Peacebone_
    Options
    Everybody's body is different, and we are all comfortable at different sizes and weights. It's all about losing until you reach a size that is comfortable and healthy for YOU.

A chart someone found on the internet can't tell you how much you should weigh.

Meds can suck for weight loss. I had to take a corticosteroid for eczema and OMG I could not lose even though I was busting my butt everyday for weeks! You shouldn't get disheartened though! Keep your chin up! How many calories are you eating? Are you exercising?
  • Yorkshirelass2
    Options
    I exercise once a day thinking of going to twice a day depending on when i feel good. I am mostly under my calorie intake.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I exercise once a day thinking of going to twice a day depending on when i feel good. I am mostly under my calorie intake.

Well more exercise wont help if you arent eating enough calories. Do you want us to figure out your caloric needs? Its quite possible you are under eating now.
  • lifewithme2
    Options
    I lost my motivation last week and I gained 4 pounds. I know where you are coming from. This is a new week and we have to try our best to take care of ourselves. It's one area of our health that we can be in control of. I wish you luck. Let me know if you want to become my friend and we can be accountable to each other. Good luck and I hope you start feeling better soon.
  • discoburn
    discoburn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First of all it's great that you have come to the boards for encouragement and advice instead of just flat out giving up.

It can be such a knock back to realise that you have put on a few lbs after thinking you had been getting somewhere, but don't let it trick you. Once you start to see and feel the weight coming off again, you will be so glad you stuck it out.

While you are adjusting or fluctuating from the medication, try not to weigh yourself because you know that seeing another lb here and there will make you feel frustrated and give up. Just concentrate on eating the right amount and exercising and it will work itself out. Set a short term goal for yourself so you can get back your sense of control and determination. Good luck :)