Hi does anyone know why my doctor would put me on these pill

Options
Recently my doctor put me on glucophage to lose some weight but when i reaserched glucophage i found out it is a drug for diabetes type 2 sufferers and it said nothing about weight lose im confused as my doctor said my blood tests came back perfect. I don't have diabetes or any conditions so why did my doc put me on a diabetes type 2 drug?? im confused and should i take them? i took them twice and they made me feel a bit sick :cry:

Replies

• crazybaby
    crazybaby Posts: 17
    Options
    Recently my doctor put me on glucophage to lose some weight but when i reaserched glucophage i found out it is a drug for diabetes type 2 sufferers and it said nothing about weight lose im confused as my doctor said my blood tests came back perfect. I don't have diabetes or any conditions so why did my doc put me on a diabetes type 2 drug?? im confused and should i take them? i took them twice and they made me feel a bit sick :cry:
  • vstarcher
    vstarcher Posts: 28
    Options
    I've heard of doctors putting their patients on glucophage (metformin is the generic name) for weight loss.

Here's an article I found on metformin and weight loss. I hope it helps.

http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/N117.htm
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You should call his office and let them know you would like to speak to the doctor and just ask him why he prescribed this particular drug. Just because the doctor prescribes something doesn't mean you should take it. Be a smart patient and ask him the questions you have. The only person that will watch out for you is you, :wink:

Also, I have not heard of dr's RXing diabetes meds just for weight loss unless you are pre diabetic and they are trying to help you get some pounds off to avoid full blown diabetes.
  • Maria061
    Maria061 Posts: 118
    Options
    hi,
    if You have a question about You medication, try to ask a pharmasist, they are a doctors also. I hole that will help.

I am trying to avoid a carb, use a lot of fiber and omega 3, drink a lot of water. With me,I have 1200 cal/day, loose 1.5 lbs a week, that is a healthy number per week.

Good luck to you.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I would also question this. You are young, apparently healthy, and not very overweight. IMHO, you don't need ANY drugs to achieve your goal!!!:huh: :flowerforyou:
  • peachykate
    peachykate Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Do you have PCOS?
  • crazybaby
    Options
    No i don't but every women in my family exept for me and my younger cousin has PCOS bit i do not have it at all my blood work came back healthy
  • crazybaby
    Options
    Thank you
  • tabbiekaye23
    tabbiekaye23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am on the same med. I have pcos. It has helped me alot with weight loss. Even though your not a diabetic it realy helps keep your insulin levels in check which can realy help with the weight loss.
  • becbec71
    becbec71 Posts: 136
    Options
    I have PCOS and I have been off and on it for 8 years now. With PCOS you are generally insulin resistant. Your sugars are fine but you insulin is very high to keep them that way. I am not sure how or why but the meds will bring down your insulin level. Just be careful as you loos weight and get healthier as it can run your blood suugars too low and your dose will have to be adjusted. Do you cycle normally? It brough mine back into normal days were I wouldnt miss a cdycle. PCOS affects your hormes from sugars, insulin to your ovarian hormones. Chances are pretty good you will develop PCOS with having that high a rate in your family. Good luck!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts, ask him why he put you on it. I'd say 75% of the medications prescribed in the US aren't necessary.

[soapbox warning]
    I'm not a fan of doctors in general, since MOST of them seem to be little more than legal drug dealers. Ever notice that 99.9% of everything in their office has some kind of drug name on it? Yeah, those would be bits of schwag given to them by drug companies. My dad used to work for Merck, I've seen the packages they send to doctors to get them to sell more drugs. I've also seen some of the bonus packages that outline kickbacks that doctors get for prescribing X number of new patients. Unless its something I deem worth going to the ER for, I don't bother with doctors. You're nothing but a wallet to them.
    [/end soapbox]
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If your Doc prescribed something and you aren't clear why or what it is supposed to do, you really, really need to call your doc and have a chat to get clear on it. It is your body, you need to understand clearly what the doc is trying to do. Take notes and make sure you understand the reasoning. Good luck!