Is p90x worthless?

Options
13»

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    If personal trainers are in it for the money, then that would mean Tony is in it for the money as well. Why? Because away from P90x, he's a personal trainer and one session with him cost more than P90x.

I'm not a fan of P90x, it's not my cup of tea. I don't own it and I will not own it, unless it's given to me or I get it at a very low price. I do own P90/Power 90 and couldn't do it as a program. I've incorporate it into my other workouts. I'm not saying that Tony's workouts aren't good. I like some of his workouts. In my opinion, a workout doesn't get people results. A person's results depends on the person. I never let a workout work me, I always work a workout.

P90x is not focus on one person. It's designed to give everyone that does it, the same results. A personal trainer takes your body's information into account and writes out a program that's designed for your body.

If I'm not mistaken, P90x has a fit test. A person has to be able to pass the fit test to be able to do the program. Well, a personal trainer doesn't need a fit test to help a client. Everyone's body and fitness level is different.

A personal trainer can help you with your form. Tony can't see your form. He will never know if you are doing things right or wrong. Tony can't even see what you are eating, so therefore he can't tell a dieter where he feels they are going wrong.

I'm not going to say that P90x is worthless, but in my opinion a person can't say that a personal trainer is out there for the money. Because that would mean that Tony's out there for the money as well.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Know what just made P90X even better...P90X app (iPhone only right now, sorry Android users, hopefully later). It is an awesome tool for those doing P90X or those thinking about doing P90X. The app schedules your workout program into your calendar, you can track your measurements throughout the 90 days, log your workouts, track your workouts (weights, sets, reps), take before, 30, 60, 90 day photos, tweet/Facebook your results, it comes with the fit test and ab ripper x for free. If you on the go and want to buy more workouts on the phone you can, but they will not be the videos, just a walk-through of the exercise and count down the moves....and so much move. (edited by moderator)
  • zumbawhit
    zumbawhit Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    P90X focus IS muscle confusion.... I'm not a beachbody coach, just have done the program and INSANITY and really love them. Changed my workout habits and I was at one point a gym rat to begin with.
    OK... it's not that these things are worthless, BUT at this point, if you have already been doing a routine of these things for a lengthy amount of time, he is absolutely CORRECT! While these things would be great for maintainence, they are not going to serve you any purpose if you want to lose the remaining BFP. In order to do this, you must insert some muscle confusion... different strength exercises. You're probably right. The stuff he's giving you may VERY MUCH resemble what you're doing in your P90X routine, BUT if it even slightly works the muscles in a different manner, you are going to begin burning off that body fat at a quicker rate (by the spring) instead of the lengthy amount of time it would take with a routine that your body is already accustomed to. If he's a good trainer and is keeping you moving toward this goal, he will probably change your routine up again in 6-8 weeks. At that time, he may even send you back to what you were doing... it's all about the muscle confusion. It's not that you can't keep with your running/P90X routine, it's just that it won't benefit you toward those goals right now. Does that make sense?
    Ok, well obviously by your quotes and come-backs to so many statements, you're out to argue and are not really open-minded to anyone else's opinions, but I will say it again: P90X, if done on a regular basis, is NOT muscle confusion. Does it work? Yes. But if she is trying to get rid of the remaining body fat, she needs to change up the routine. Anything you do for an extended amount of time is not muscle confusion. Period. Your body gets used to it and no longer gives the same results... at least not as quickly as she is going to want them. P90X works the different muscles, but it is not MUSCLE CONFUSION if you do the same thing all the time... even if you're alternating days on the muscle groups. The same muscles are still being worked. That's why it's P NINETY X... maximum results in 90 days.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok, well obviously by your quotes and come-backs to so many statements, you're out to argue and are not really open-minded to anyone else's opinions, but I will say it again: P90X, if done on a regular basis, is NOT muscle confusion. Does it work? Yes. But if she is trying to get rid of the remaining body fat, she needs to change up the routine. Anything you do for an extended amount of time is not muscle confusion. Period. Your body gets used to it and no longer gives the same results... at least not as quickly as she is going to want them. P90X works the different muscles, but it is not MUSCLE CONFUSION if you do the same thing all the time... even if you're alternating days on the muscle groups. The same muscles are still being worked. That's why it's P NINETY X... maximum results in 90 days.
    P90X is not the same thing all the time, your workout routine changes ofter. Once after week 3, again after week 4, the next changes comes again after week 7, then another change after week 8, week 9, week 10, week 11. So you change up your routine 7-8 times in 90 days, if that is not muscle confusion then what is?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    From Martin Berkhan
    You are not methodical.

The only thing that should be changing from week to week is the load on the bar or the reps with the same load you used last time. If you're doing it right, these should be increasing. Everything else stays the same; the movements and the order you did them in, the sets and the rest periods in between sets. You don't add in new stuff.

This is the only way you can fairly evaluate your progress and see if you're headed in the right direction. It might sound tedious to keep doing the same movements every week and the appeal of "mixing it up" can seem strong.

However, the tediousness will soon be replaced by the much stronger joy you get from seeing your lifts go up on a weekly basis. Don't fall for "muscle confusion" bull****. The only ones confused are the people who keep talking about such nonsense.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Well...you could also join a gym and start up a more long-term (and cheaper) lifting regimen like Stronglifts, NROLFW, or Wendler's 5/3/1 but.....I'm sure the trainer may dismiss those as rubbish as well.

Anyway.

P90X works. I've done it. IMO, not sustainable in the long run if you have a short attention span like myself. I don't like working out along with a DVD everyday. I'm more of a "hang out at the gym" or "run down the road whenever I damn well please" kind of person.

I better not be runnin' down the road anymore, though, because as someone nicely pointed out, that's a BAAAAD idea.