Any "healthy" places to eat

Options
Does anybody know any other restaurants that have a under X amount of calorie menu?

Being a college student I find it hard to stay on diets when roommates or friends constantly want to go out and eat (seems to be a great stress reliever for stressed students) but I hate having to say no all the time and feel left out.

Is there any healthier places I should suggest? or even one healthy item on a menu at a popular place..because I've heard salads aren't always the healthiest options at places depending what they put in eat.

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The Guiltless Grilled Salmon at Chili's has 480 calories. :) That's my go-to choice.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    subway... if u cut out the cheese and mayo
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Most places will have an online menu with nutrition information. I suggest you look up places near you and see what you can find :]
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    Going to chain restaurants are easier with nutritional values on the web. If you know ahead of time, you can research the menu and decide what would be a good choice. Good luck!
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    I work at subway so of course I will tell you that it CAN be a really healthy place to eat: stick to ones labeled as 'jared's favorites' or 6 grams of fat or less, only use cheese if you really have to, WHEAT bread (I scoop out the excess bread in mine, just ask nicely- its in the food database), keep to the fat free sauce, add a ton of veggies to fill you up :) If you need to know anything about subway, I almost live there.

Applebees has 8-10 items under 550 calories

On the border has some decent items (they have a little mark beside them)

TGI Fridays has some ok items, stick to the right portion right price menu

Before I go anywhere I look at their website for the nutritional menu, also I keep a copy of 'eat this, not that' they have a restaurant survival guide that is small enough to slip in a purse or backpack for places I dont go often.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell FTW!

Fresco menu - cutting cheese and sour cream cuts calories.
  • ccpace4
    ccpace4 Posts: 100
    Options
    Thanks for advice guys..and good to know about Chili's because that's where my sister loves to go on the weekends!

So far I've done the Applebee's under 550 calories and I like that (though a little off put by the amount of sodium, but still better then other options)

I try Subway because that's what my fam likes and it's cheap..but kinda boring for me because the only toppings I like are lettuce and cucumber lol
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Beware of Subway...it's LOADED with tons of sodium.
  • ccpace4
    ccpace4 Posts: 100
    Options
    oh thanks for letting me know!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    My 'Eat This, Not That' book always brings up Chick Fil' A.. Apparently they have a lot of food under 500 calories...

Oh! And whatever an 'Au Bon Pain' is.. they apparently rated it an A-. It's pretty much the highest rating they've given.. no A+ just yet.. Apparently, "Each store has an on-site nutritional kiosk to help customers find a meal". Hope that helped any.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm all about the taco bell fresco menu.....and subway
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    IHOP!!!!!! I LOVE FREAKING IHOP! They have all these tasty meals for under X many calories! They always have one marked, generally it includes turkey bacon, egg substitute and a tasty sweet treat! So far I've had crepes with caramel sauce and granola, and the last one I had was Pumpkin Pancakes! They are the BEST pancakes I've ever freaking had! Pair this with their low cal Cary's syrup... we've got a winner!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    There are so many low cal options at Japanese restaurants. I steer clear of chains and go to family-owned restaurants and chat with the owner about what they use to cook with. Learning about cooking/your calories intake will help you when you go out, too, because you will be able to eye what's in the dish. Always ask for your food cooked in water or light oil, try a sandwich sans bun, and stick with fresh sides (ex raw veggies over sauteed).
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm weary of chains promising certain calories, because oftentimes the kitchen may not adhere to standards and/or the chain is lying about the actual calorie count. This has been revealed before.
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Panera has calories listed right on the menu board. They have some reasonable salads with low fat dressing. Just tried the wendys chicken cranberry walnut salad with pomegranet vinagarette dressing and it was very good with resonable counts.
  • slinky8113
    slinky8113 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Pizza Express do a range of leggara pizzas with under 500 calories for each - they are a full pizza with the middle cut out filled with salad and low fat dressing. Absolutely delicious!!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Panera Bread.