Turkey Burger

Options
I like turkey burger but I'm having a problem with cooking it when I make a burger. It always comes out like a hockey puck. Any suggestions or help is welcome. Thank you

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    it is because ground turkey is so lean, you need to add fat to the ground turkey so it stays juicy and doesn't dry out
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    A meat thermometer to check the temp. I believe its 165 that is safe for eating. Another tool is when all the juices in the burger run clear, that means it cooked through.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I add a little barbecue sauce. That will make it moist.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I buy the Jenny O turkey burgers - cook on the grill - never end up with hockey pucks.
    Like the Jenny - O ground turkey too....
    I haven't found another brand that I like and one I tried was just gross.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey is our favorite because it's so juicy. Anytime I make burgers I shape them and then make a hole in the middle all the way through. This serves several purposes: the burgers cook from the inside at the same time they are cooking from the outside so there's less time on the grill/skillet, as the burger shrinks up it doesn't become a "tall" burger - it just stays flat. I make and freeze all my burgers with a hole in the middle. It's funny when people are at a picnic and give a quizical look when they see my uncooked burgers. After explanation and seeing how the burger cooks it's like they want to run home and do their burgers just like that. :-)
  • sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah , you can't cook it near as long as beef. I never add grease but I agree with the cooking it only until the juice runs clear :) Yummo!!!
  • FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Honey mustard will moisten it also. I love, love, LOVE turkey burgers!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    http://www.lightdelish.com/2011/01/buffalo-turkey-burgers-with-chili-sweet.html

These are amazingly moist and delicious! I used to hate turkey burgers until I figured out how to make them properly!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    This is one of the best turkey burgers I've had.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/actually-delicious-turkey-burgers/detail.aspx
  • qtpie99
    qtpie99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of these suggestions. I knew there had to be some kind of trick. :smile:
  • jonisteenhoek
    jonisteenhoek Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I always chop up carrots, green peppers, and onions (really fine) and mix it in with the fround turkey. I also make the patties pretty thin so they take less time to cook/dry out. They come out moist and delicious.
  • mcintyrekn
    mcintyrekn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I always put a little chicken broth in mine. More or less depending on how many I am pattying up. I also chop up onions to mix in with the meat. They are fantastic! Hope this helps!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Not much you can do about dryness with ground turkey, unfortunately.
  • godsem
    Options
    If you saute your onions in a little olive oil before adding them to the meat that helps and yes I also add fresh mushrooms, green and red peppers and spices, and sometimes a little mustard or bbq sauce. Just be careful not to over cook them. Sometimes I just put all those ingredients together with the meat and then in stead of making it into patties, I put it in a meatloaf pan and bake it, that usually keeps nice and moist then just slice and use like you would the burger.
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    you can add some veggies in there. mix in cilantro and egg and onion even. you can mix in some zucchini for a little body and flavor. mixing in veggies or even a lil oil into it will help plump it up. if i make a turkey burger from scratch i HAVE to flavor it and HAVE to mix stuff in there, its just a must. you can do a turkey spinach feta burger! the spinach will help to moisten it a bit