Getting Back on Track

Options
Hi Everyone,

My name is Dawn and I'm new to the site. I went to the doctor this morning and the whole office is using this program and they were telling me their success stories. I've been overweight my whole life and I have multiple health problems. I've been seeing a nutritionist for almost 2 years but it's not really working for me anymore. My weight just went back up to my highest and I feel awful. Nausea, headaches, trouble breathing, etc... way too many problems for a 25 year old! It doesn't help that I don't have much outside support either. My biggest supporter was my mother but, unfortunately, she lives 2000 miles away now and we can't get together and walk like we used to. My fiance has been great: we both have different goals (he was severely underweight due to illness for a long time) but we've been trying to help each other. The problem is, we've lost our motivation.
I don't know what it was but, something changed when I looked in the mirror this morning and I felt like a thin person in a fat suit that I can't get out of. It was a strange feeling but it felt right and I think that's the moment of awakening that I was looking for. The only way I can get out of the "suit" is to get back on track and strip away a little at a time. I'm very patient with other people but when it comes to myself, I'm very impatient and I want it done NOW. It's a really hard habit to break but I'm trying. I know it's going to work this time. It has to.
I'm getting married in 9 months and I don't want to get to that day and be upset with myself that I let another year pass by without changing my habits and getting healthier. I want to start having children soon after we're married and that can't happen if I'm not in the best shape I can be.
I'm ready to do this! I need to do this and today is the day.

Replies

• georgiagirl424
    Options
    I am in a very similar boat as you. I have been overweight most of my life and I am still not where I would like to be. As well, I am engaged and want to be "fit" and/or at my goal weight by my wedding. Unfortunately, it does take time and it will not happen as quickly as we would like it but it WILL be worth it! Take baby steps at first and don't go into a hard core diet/exercise because you will want to have more slips up (which slip ups are okay every once in awhile). Try not to drink calorie drinks. Stick with water. If you don't like water at crystal light to a bottle water to help you! I am still fairly new to this site as well but I love it! It is a great way to keep track of what you are eating. It is huge shock how much I did eat and go over with my past! Good luck and congrats on starting today! Very proud :)
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can do it Dawn! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! What a great goal to work towards...
  • Stoptheviolins
    Stoptheviolins Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm getting married soon myself, and understand the desire to look better and be healthy for having kids! If you want more encouragment, add me as a friend!
  • moonblu
    moonblu Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know you have found a great site.....I have been with MFP for only 3 weeks but it is a life saver to me....just gives you that extra push and support....I couldnt do it without this place good luck to you :smile:
  • SoCalMike
    Options
    Hey Dawn! Welcome, I'm new as well, and so far have really enjoyed the tools, and people, available. Just remember that (my opinion) slow and steady wins the race. And, setting a good example for your children is an important piece of instilling healthy habits in them. And, just think of the wedding pictures and how big that smile will be with the two of you! I too am impatient, but try not to beat myself up over the past, but look ahead to steady progress toward a life long goal of health.
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    First of all WELCOME and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!! I have been trying to lose weight for 3 years and I found my motivation when I set small goals. I have lost 27lbs and still have 25-30 to go. If you log in here and follow the plan...you WILL lose weight! You might gain if you start working out at first, but then you will drop. Keep a picture of your wedding dress or something else that will motivate you. I have tropical island pictures in my workout room at home because I want to go to one with my husband some day and I want to wear a bikini and that will NOT happen at my current weight. You will get a TON of support here! Good Luck!!
  • silvergirl19
    silvergirl19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Dawn. You can do this is you keep thinking like a thin person and make smart choices about food and exercise every day. Don't stress about how many pounds or inches you have to lose. Instead, feel good about every pound that comes off. Every time you lose a pound, you've done something right! Have patience and don't get discouraged. If you keep at it, you will achieve your long-term goal of a healthier, slimmer you.
    Your post today motivated me to get back on track, too, before I gain back every pound I worked so hard and long to lose.
    Wishing you great success, a beautiful wedding day, and health and happiness "ever after."
  • nicolemariedwyer
    nicolemariedwyer Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I just started too! let's keep each other accountable!
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, for all your kind messages! I can tell I'm going to like it here :smile:
    I took a 12 week class with the nutritionist that taught me all about the right way to eat and how different foods affect my body. I'm going to try and be more mindful of those lessons. She was a big advocate of "Don't worry about the weight, just change your eating habits and the rest will fall in to place."

Good luck to everyone! We can do this!