Anyone else tried this

Options
So I was doing the C25K program before I messed up my ankle and I hate the idea of starting over so when my ankle got better I decided to try something different. My treadmill has a "workout by Heart Rate" button. I figured why not. So for the last week I have been running by my HR. I am 24 therefore the maximum HR recommended is 167 (85% percent of maximum). So I run for 30 minutes and let the machine slow down and speed up according to my HR. (I use a polar HRM with a chest strap it wirelessly tells the machine my HRM). I started out at an end average of 4.1mph, after 2 weeks I am at 4.4mph. Anyone else built up their running this way. Any opinions?

Replies

• Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    sounds like HIIT
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great way to do it. I would suggest varying the intensity though. A lower intensity 60-65% will probably do more for endurance than a higher intensity, which will do more for burning calories.

Scott
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    sounds like HIIT

I looked at HIIT it seemed not dissimilar to C25K, in the end I think I like not having to hit the buttons on the treadmill, go on "autopilot"
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    sounds like HIIT
    Not exactly. HIIT is when you do something extremely intense for only maybe 25-60 seconds then low intensity for a minute or 2, then repeat.