What hair color should I go with?

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
When I hit my goal weight a couple of months ago, my gift to myself was to get my hair done. I chopped off about a foot of length, got some awesome layers, and had highlights and lowlights put in.
Unfortunately, I am broke and can't afford to do upkeep on my hair, so my highlights look quite silly at the moment.
I think I need to get a box of hair dye and just color the whole thing (I am very experienced with at-home dye jobs since I've been dying my hair since I was a young teen, so please don't suggest to go to a hairstylist - I cannot afford it).
What color should I go with?
I've tried just about every color out there, so I am open to any suggestions except for black, which just looks silly on someone with my skin tone (I have a classic redhead complexion - pink skin and freckles).
This is what my hair looks like now, except of course my hair is about 2 inches longer and my lovely highlights are grown out :sad: ...
2193703_6478.jpg

Replies

• Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    A light golden brown would be pretty on you.............kind of what you have going on now, actually :)

I, too, am fair skinned with a few freckles and greenish eyes........I tend to like golden colors, and sometimes a little red (only not TOO much!) I used to color my own - and did so for about 20 yrs! I've since found a very reasonably-priced stylist who will cut and color for $40! Yah, baby!

But I understand how sometimes you can't afford it. And I think that hair color has gotten SO nice now - haven't had a chance to use that foam-in stuff, but it looks quite efficient.

Good luck!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    to the tune of "raspberry beret": strawwwwwwwwwberry looks great!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    As someone who dyes their own hair as well, I suggest strawberry blonde, a light reddish brown, dark blonde, or a light golden brown as good color choices. Those kinds of colors would look great against your skin tone.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Red baby! its that time of year go for an auburn, But always go a lighter color than what you think
    Then always come out much darker than the box.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I hear this one is really easy to use and is "true to color".

http://www.clairol.com/en-US/how-to-page.aspx?collectionid=67&gclid=CPLH77S0rKwCFeNdtgodZTGW2g

I normally wouldn't suggest doing a single color over already highlighted hair, but I totally get that you can't afford to have someone else do it.
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i color my own hair too-- MUCH too EXPENSIVE to pay someone to do it!

I like the honey brown colors, and if you pick one that's light enough your original highlights might show thru too...

just a thought-- my SIL did my highlighting once, and it seemed fairly easy-- if you have a friend or your hubby could help ya...
    L'oreal always has coupons for their hair coloring in the paper and on line, I've never been disappointed by the results either.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Strawberry for sure!! It's the most beautiful color of hair (in my opinion) and would be so gorgeous with your skin! Either that or a dark auburn color :)
  • dancefloordevil
    dancefloordevil Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    RED. RED. RED :wink:
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    if you wanna mix it up a medium brown maybe? oh and i know your experienced but if you havent tried it before i absolutely LOVE the new foam dye much easier to do by yourself with less mess
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Dark auburn with hightlights of caramel and golden blonde !!!!!!!!!!!!!! with just a few dark plum this will be PUUURRRTYY!!!!!!!!
  • IsleOfThanet
    Options
    Never underestimate the trouble a small bottle of peroxide can cause.
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm a hairstylist and I won't lecture you on going to a salon because I understand money is tight, please please please at least go to Sally beauty supply and get decent salon quality color. You will spend the same amount as box color but quality is much better!
  • avarielle1215
    avarielle1215 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    L'Oreal Colour Experte Toasted Coconut: http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=fs797843

Color + Highlights at home. I think it would suit your skin well. :)
  • ammbbbeeeerrrrr
    Options
    reddish brown would look really good on you!!
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think you are beautiful just as you are! But if you are wanting a change I've always thought red is fun...but sadly my hair just won't seem to hold red color:( Have fun and enjoy whatever you choose!
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I agree, Strawberry Blonde with your complexion would be perfect. I also agree with the stylist about getting quality color from Sally's Beauty Supply. I have colored my hair for nearly 40 years and only had a salon color my hair once. I did not like it and couldn't wait for it to grow out. I have light hair and she wanted to "highlight" it. I said "You can put highlights in my color of hair?" She replied, "Oh, yes!". Needless to say, she darkened my hair to put highlights in it! I was very upset and never returned!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I just got done coloring it. I went with the closest I could find to my natural color - light reddish brown.
    It isn't dry yet but so far it looks pretty much exactly like my natural hair color.
    I figured that would be the best thing to go with because I don't know when finances will be better and I'll be able to do something with it again.
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    I'm going with a darker red!
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    looking forward to pictures
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like it!