When to adjust your calories?

Options
Does anyone know when you should adjust your calories for losing weight or does MFP do that automatically?

I was thinking when I lost 5 or 10% of my starting weight???

Replies

• losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know when you should adjust your calories for losing weight or does MFP do that automatically?

I was thinking when I lost 5 or 10% of my starting weight???

it gives goals based on the stats you give it. "I weigh X, want to lose Ylbx/week therefore MFP says to eat Z". As you update your progress with weight loss, or if you change your goal to lose per week it will automatically readjust. You can also readjust your intake goal manually should you see fit by adjusting your settings. Hope this helps!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    When progress stalls
  • runningartist
    runningartist Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you ever have the opportunity to do the BodPod Body test, do it! I was eating 1200 calories to lose weight, suggested by MFP. After doing the BodPod, it turns out at a resting rate my body burns 1388 calories per 24 hours (this is if I were to lay in bed for 24 hours). Which meant eating 1200 calories was forcing my body into starvation mode = not losing weight. Therefore, I've adjusted to 1400 calories and am buring body fat like crazy now.

The BodPod gives you a total body analysis based on your body fat %. The first time I got in it, I was pretty upset, but to have the data as baseline is a fantastic resource. Second time around, 4 months later, I've lost 9% body fat and turned 10 pounds of fat into 8 pounds of muscle. Facinating!
  • ShaSimone
    Options
    As you check-in with your weight loss, MFP tells you that you have lost 10 pounds and should adjust your calorie intake based on your weight and will ask you do you want to adjust your calorie goal based on that. Mine is at 1200 calories and doesn't need to go any lower than that, I don't think MFP will allow you to anyway.
  • maryh1986
    Options
    That BodPod test sounds really interesting? Did you find a doctor's office to do that?