Plateauing... help!

Options
OK, I'm usually the plateau-breaking queen. I know all the tricks (or at least I thought I did until now) and usually they work, but lately I feel like my body is rebelling against me! It seems that no matter what I do, it's holding onto everything I have left to lose!

I have been losing and regaining the same five pounds for almost two months now. I was losing about 8 lbs. per month before this.

My WOE is low-carb and calorie watching. I usually eat between 1200 and 1800 calories per day and 20-75 net carbs per day. I try to mix it up a little so my body doesn't get used to anything.

I've tried doing induction for awhile as a means of stimulating my metabolism. That did nothing (usually that works like a charm!). I tried upping my calories. I tried lowering my calories. I tried exercising more than usual. It seriously seems like NOTHING is helping! It's like my body is flat our refusing to let go of anything anymore. How this is scientifically possible, I don't know. A calorie deficit HAS to result in weight loss eventually, right?!

What the heck is going on here? :(

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm usually the plateau-breaking queen. I know all the tricks (or at least I thought I did until now) and usually they work, but lately I feel like my body is rebelling against me! It seems that no matter what I do, it's holding onto everything I have left to lose!

I have been losing and regaining the same five pounds for almost two months now. I was losing about 8 lbs. per month before this.

My WOE is low-carb and calorie watching. I usually eat between 1200 and 1800 calories per day and 20-75 net carbs per day. I try to mix it up a little so my body doesn't get used to anything.

I've tried doing induction for awhile as a means of stimulating my metabolism. That did nothing (usually that works like a charm!). I tried upping my calories. I tried lowering my calories. I tried exercising more than usual. It seriously seems like NOTHING is helping! It's like my body is flat our refusing to let go of anything anymore. How this is scientifically possible, I don't know. A calorie deficit HAS to result in weight loss eventually, right?!

What the heck is going on here? :(

low carb diets have no metabolic advantage

ht/wt and daily avg cals?
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a diet break where you eat at maintenance for 2 weeks or so?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    If you've been stuck at the same weight for a few months you are simply eating too much food. Either via underestimating your intake, or overestimating your TDEE. What is your calorie intake and macros like?
  • meowy12
    meowy12 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. Ive been stuck between 72-76kg for too long now :(
    and im doing more exercise!
    meh
  • h0taru
    h0taru Posts: 43
    Options
    I had a 2 months plateau recently. Broke it by starting musculation ( I don't spend a lot of time in it but I am serious for a woman, trying to use heavy weights for exemple), and changing my elliptical bike cardio training session type to "cross training". Now when i'm doing my sport I can tell I shock my body: If I do not eat during the sport I am doing hypoglycemia!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My low carb diet has a distinct advantage (I am hypoglycemic and it helps to keep my BG in check). In addition, many studies do indeed show that people benefit from eating a lower carb diet (at least most studies I've read). Not low-- lower.

My BMR for my height and weight is 2049 cals. That's sedentary. I am absolutely 100% sure that I am not over-consuming calories. Even with a decent margin of error, I should still not be topping my BMR. I track everything eat down to something like one chocolate chip. The only thing I don't track is water (which i should).

My macro breakdown is 10C/45P/45F. I've tried 20C/50P/30F and down to 5C/45P/50F. My calories range from 1200 to 1800 per day.

To assure that I wasn't going crazy, I dropped my cals to 1500 for 10 days and added an extra 30 mins. of cardio 3 days a week into my usual.

I must be doing something wrong. I don't want to hear anyone who is going to bash my LC WOE (seriously... read... this works for me for a number of reasons and has already led me to a 75 lb. loss). Any other ideas? I appreciate the thought.s.
  • LATeagno
    Options
    If you've been stuck at the same weight for a few months you are simply eating too much food. Either via underestimating your intake, or overestimating your TDEE. What is your calorie intake and macros like?

I'm going to sound like an idiot, but what is TDEE?
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    The scale is a poor measurement in my opinion. I have been at the same weight for a couple of months now but my belt has gone in three notches in that time, too. So, you tell me. Is that progress? I think so. I don't really care what the scale says as long as I am still going down in belt notches. Maybe that is the wrong attitude but it seems to be working for me.
  • h0taru
    h0taru Posts: 43
    Options
    If your BMR ( it is what your body would consume if you would stay in your bed all day right?) is 2000 calories, so you should not eat less than 2000 calories.

After a diet, even if the diet is not too hard, the body is slowing down. You cannot avoid that: basically it is your body that knows how to anticipate the calories restriction and the sport consumption, and learns how to better manage your energy for NOT loosing weight. There is nothing wrong with that.

So you need to surprise it, doing something that it is not prepared for.

In my humble opinion you need to practice sport in a different way ( not more sport). And you will see the difference and understand truly that your body is adapting: for exemple whith my old cardio training, I was used to do it 45 min easy. And when I changed it... It was a pain to reach only 20 min of training! I was sweating and feeling weak, knowing that I am doing sport almost every day for at least 2 years.

If things are easy in your sport, you will know that your body is tricking you and manage its calories. So change your sport and feel the pain. When you will see the results on your scale, you will be happy to be in pain ;)
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a diet break where you eat at maintenance for 2 weeks or so?

i would try this...^
  • LATeagno
    Options
    Thank you for all the ideas. I am going to try eating at maintenance and completely changing my workout routine, but I will leave the duration alone.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

I'm going to sound like an idiot, but what is TDEE?

total daily energy expenditure