Sugar vs. Calories

Options
I've noticed that almost every day I am going over on my sugar intake (according to what it says I should be having on here - 30g).

I'm just wondering- if I stay within my calorie range for the day will going over on the sugar have a negative effect? Will it stop me from losing weight? I'm pretty good at eating healthy foods, but it seems like regardless of what I eat I go over on the sugar.

I guess I'm just concerned about how much that plays into weight loss and my overall nutrition.

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I don't track my sugar at all. I did a report once, and last month i was pretty much double on every day.

Has it stopped me losing fat? See my ticker! I'm stronger, fitter, and feeling healthier than ever before. :)
  • irreligiouspiety07
    Options
    Just watch where your sugar comes from. For instance, going over your recommended sugar intake based on fruit consumption is greatly different from doing the same from processed sugar. If you are eating a balanced diet, I would not worry about it too much. Also, remember that if you are physical active a good amount of that sugar should be put to good use!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    nope
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The sugar itself shouldn't be a problem. Unless you're using your calories on sugar, to the point where you aren't getting enough of other nutrients. But if you are "pretty good at eating healthy foods" you're probably ok.
  • misscase
    Options
    Thanks for the responses- now I'm definitely not too worried about it. :)
  • jessenicole
    Options
    Let me start off my telling you that I have Type 1 diabetes (if unfamiliar, this is NOT CAUSED BY SUGAR- my pancreas doesn't work and therefore I take insulin injections)

That said, I use real sugar.
    For years,,,, YEARS... I did the "right thins" by getting sugar free stuff, drinking diet soda etc etc and I got sicker and sicker and fatter and fatter. I got up to 320.
    Then, I started using real sugar. In moderation, yes, but real sugar.
    I lost 155lbs and continued losing/kept it off for 2 years before I got (unrelatedly) sick and swelled up like a balloon.

Yeah. Real sugar. Real butter. Whole milk. Exercise. Moderation. Worked for me.

I wouldn't worry too much if you are exercising and not sitting around eating bonbons all day. ;)
  • jljune
    jljune Posts: 59
    Options
    Just watch where your sugar comes from. For instance, going over your recommended sugar intake based on fruit consumption is greatly different from doing the same from processed sugar. If you are eating a balanced diet, I would not worry about it too much. Also, remember that if you are physical active a good amount of that sugar should be put to good use!

AGREE! Just watch where it comes from. I go over on sugars regularly but it is because I love grapes, apples, and berries. As long as your sugar isn't coming from candy bars and lollipops you should be fine. Staying within your calories is the most important thing.

297714.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jljune
    jljune Posts: 59
    Options
    Let me start off my telling you that I have Type 1 diabetes (if unfamiliar, this is NOT CAUSED BY SUGAR- my pancreas doesn't work and therefore I take insulin injections)

That said, I use real sugar.
    For years,,,, YEARS... I did the "right thins" by getting sugar free stuff, drinking diet soda etc etc and I got sicker and sicker and fatter and fatter. I got up to 320.
    Then, I started using real sugar. In moderation, yes, but real sugar.
    I lost 155lbs and continued losing/kept it off for 2 years before I got (unrelatedly) sick and swelled up like a balloon.

Yeah. Real sugar. Real butter. Whole milk. Exercise. Moderation. Worked for me.

I wouldn't worry too much if you are exercising and not sitting around eating bonbons all day. ;)

Yeppers! I am a REAList also. REAL sugar (raw sugar), real butter--REAL eggs (non of that egg fakers stuff) ! I am a naturalist also. I don't do a lot of 'light' stuff. I just look for healthy food to eat.