Gained a pound and didn't change anything on my diet.

Options
I am into day 7 of the 17 day diet and got up to weigh this monrning and had gained a pound after losing 4. Days like this make me feel yukky.. I know I am eating right at or below my 1200 calories. The calories consist of lean chicken, turkey and fish, gresh non-starchy veggies, 2 servings of a probiotic dairy such as cottage cheese and yogurt. 2 fresh fruits such as apples, plums, grapes, berries and oranges. I get moderate exercise doing things around the house and shopping. I drink 8-10 glasses of water everyday and I only drink one diet, caffeine free soda a day. Trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Replies

• Mark2303
    Options
    Hi dkbaron,
    Did you by chance change the time you weighed yourself?

Mark
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I can gain/loose anywhere from 1-5 pounds in a day, depending on when I weigh myself.
  • Luchesse
    Options
    your weight fluctuates daily anywhere from 2-8 lbs. It could be water retention. Also if you worked your muscles yesterday you may gain from that. If your bladder was full, Really there is a ton of reasons.

Also you really should aim for at least 1200 calories a day so your body doesn't think its starving and burn calories more slowly.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i think that everyone that posts is probably going to agree with me in that you are probably not eating enough. idk how tall you are and how much you should eat, but you should probably be eating something like 1500 calories a day.

your choices sound great and delicious, but you should probably be eating a little more of them.
  • dianhathaway
    Options
    Don't worry about this so much. Often times the weight will fluctuate. It is part of the losing process. The body is trying to balance itself. Don't weigh yourself more than once a week, and even sometimes after a week of good eating you may gain a bit. If you keep trying it should go down again. It's all part of the process. Good luck!
  • coralbeauty
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? That can affect your weight too.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Don't let it discourage you, a lot of things besides actual weight gain can affect the number on the scale, like how well hydrated you are and even what time you ate dinner the night before. Obviously if you weighed yourself after eating a meal, you're going to weigh more.
  • divainme
    divainme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I try not to focus on the weight so much. In the past when I've tried to loose weight and it doesn't come off I get really discouraged and quit.

I did find at one time though that the scale wasn't going down but the inches were coming off.... have you measured yourself? I try to use measuring more than weight over a longer period of time to keep from quitting.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    water weight
  • roseemb
    roseemb Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So much can change from day to day that weighing yourself every day is an excercise in frustration... and definitely - don't drop below 1200 calories and eat more than that if you're doing a lot of exercise. You have got to eat in order to lose weight. Food is fuel!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    i think that everyone that posts is probably going to agree with me in that you are probably not eating enough. idk how tall you are and how much you should eat, but you should probably be eating something like 1500 calories a day.

your choices sound great and delicious, but you should probably be eating a little more of them.

I agree with this. Some perspective - I'm sedentary, and before working out, I burn about 1200 calories by noon.

You should be eating at least your BMR, but below you TDEE. Here is some good information about what TDEE is and how to calculate it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390142-what-is-tdee

And here is a BMR calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

EDIT: Although I still think you need to eat more, it is only 1 lb, and you should not be so concerned with such small fluctuations.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am into day 7 of the 17 day diet and got up to weigh this monrning and had gained a pound after losing 4. Days like this make me feel yukky.. I know I am eating right at or below my 1200 calories. The calories consist of lean chicken, turkey and fish, gresh non-starchy veggies, 2 servings of a probiotic dairy such as cottage cheese and yogurt. 2 fresh fruits such as apples, plums, grapes, berries and oranges. I get moderate exercise doing things around the house and shopping. I drink 8-10 glasses of water everyday and I only drink one diet, caffeine free soda a day. Trying to figure out what I did wrong.
    I wasn't sure what the 17-day diet was. That's the first thing I noticed in your post. So I looked it up and see that it is a book that gained popularity after being on TV on Dr. Phil. I also noticed that the tagline for the book is "A simple plan that targets both belly fat and visceral fat that produces fast results that last!"

I predict disappointment in your life.

I say that not to be rude, but because you are worried about (what most people consider normal) weight fluctuations within the first week of a fad diet that claims to target belly fat. I don't know what your expectations are, but most published science will illustrate that spot fat loss is impossible without surgery. And the idea of changing your body/health significantly in 17 days seems a bit suspect.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt - maybe you picked up the book and started the diet as a 'kick start', found your way to MFP and plan to migrate to a long term healthier lifestyle of regular exercise while gradually losing weight using a calorie deficit until you reach your mainenance weight. If that's the case, then you don't need to worry. As others have posted, your weight fluctuates a lot through the day. Look at weekly or monthly progress to determine success. Good luck.
  • suzan40
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Ive been dieting for just over three months and havent really lost anything weighed myself monday 75 kg { was 74 at doctors on friday} yesterday i was 74.9 today i was 73.7 and am eating exactly like i was last week? personally i think my digital scales are although new buggered! lol
    now to you i wonder if you are turning fat into muscle? thats what my doctor says ive been doing...i wasnt convinced but i keep going and so should you...you doing so well!
  • loving8
    loving8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DONT RELY ON THE SCALE, SOON ENOUGH YOU'LL BEGIN TO SEE IT. THE SCALE CAN BE A BAD THING IF YOU LET. IF YOU STAY OFF THE SCALE YOU'LL HAVE MORE CHANCE OF VICTORY CAUSE THE NUMBERS WONT BE ABLE TO BUM YOU OUT AND KNOCK YOU OFF YOUR HORSE. YOU GOT THIS, JUST KEEP IT UP. PLUS I ALWAYS SAY "EVEN IF I DONT LOSE WEIGHT I'M HEALTHIER AND THAT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD"
  • gpacheco0768
    gpacheco0768 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Debra, the 17 day diet may sound "faddy" but it's overall principles are good, healthy eating that are long term and substainable. I too gained a little from one day to the next; it could depend on when you ate last, last had an "elimination", maybe retaining water... these are all reasons to probably NOT weigh yourself everyday. I do it too though as a motivator, but it's not for the weak minded (me included!) It's too easy to be discouraged when in reality, tomorrow, you'll be back down. Don't get discouraged! Stick with the plan! DO eat your 1200 calories, and if you exercise, go ahead and eat those calories too... This WILL work, maybe try weighing in only one day a week instead? If nothing else, for the mental health! ;-)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    DONT RELY ON THE SCALE, SOON ENOUGH YOU'LL BEGIN TO SEE IT. THE SCALE CAN BE A BAD THING IF YOU LET. IF YOU STAY OFF THE SCALE YOU'LL HAVE MORE CHANCE OF VICTORY CAUSE THE NUMBERS WONT BE ABLE TO BUM YOU OUT AND KNOCK YOU OFF YOUR HORSE. YOU GOT THIS, JUST KEEP IT UP. PLUS I ALWAYS SAY "EVEN IF I DONT LOSE WEIGHT I'M HEALTHIER AND THAT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD"

Caps_Lock.jpg