Tips on changing the foods I eat please!

Options
I love to cook, I'm always trying new things in the kitchen, and it's hard for me to want to try something that healthy because I'm scared it'll taste nasty SO I would really appreciate some easy healthy recipes (vegetarian is welcome too) and would also like for someone to have a looksie at my diary and tell me what I can do to tweak things to make my eating habits healthier

thanks!

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    My first thought are, to eat more fresh veggies even if they are steamed, they are still better than canned. Beans, and things like nuts and seeds are great! My first step to eating better and more vegetarian was to get rid of all canned foods and boxed foods, and making my meals from scratch!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    YES! Eat more veggies - and less processed stuff! AND you need to eat breakfast on a daily basis! Breakfast and lunch should be your largest meals of the day since they fuel your body throughout the day. All the processed stuff makes you retain water and weight -- it's loaded with sodium. Check out my blog... I post healthy recipes, along with nutrition information -- they are all easy with easy to find ingredients - all just recipes I have tried myself. :)

marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Veggie stir fry is GREAT! Add in lots of cabbage, snow peas, carrots, onions, and then season with ginger (chopped Finely) and a low sodium Teriyaki sauce... You can add in whatever meat or starch you like, and it reheats very well! I personally like mine with pork rib meat and Miyoji noodles (250 cal/pack)

Also, I have meen making my own fries/chips out of a sweet potato, then baking them. A sweet potato only has around 200 cals, and you can buy seasoning packets, or just add on some sea salt and EVOO
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday and it was yum!

Healthy Bolognese

Borlotti Beans, 1 can (or any kind of bean: Kidney, black eye etc.)
    Onions - 1 cup
    Curry Powder, 1 tsp.
    Garam masala, 1 tsp.
    Salt 1 tsp. (I use 'lo salt')
    Chicken Stock Cube
    Crushed Chilli
    Pomodorino Tomatoes, 250g (or regular tomatoes)
    Quorn Mince, 150g (you can use lamb/beef mince, but it means you have to use less of it).
    Carrots - Raw, 1 cup
    Flora - Cuisine, 15 ml (or regular oil)
    Garlic, 1 Tbsp.

**If you don't like spices, just stick with black pepper.

Sauté the onions and garlic together until soft
    Add the carrots, cook on high heat for 5 mins
    Add the salt, curry powder and garam masala, and fry for 2 mins
    Then add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 mins on high heat
    Dilute the chicken cube in one cup of water
    Add the quorn, beans and chicken stock.
    Simmer for 20 mins

You can have it with wholemeal pasta, quinoa or cous cous.

This serves 2 large portions or 3 medium ones :)

Just experiment, this is what I do every week, makes cooking so much more fun!
  • 6packngunz
    Options
    Hey,
    The first thing Iearned in my weightloss is that you don't have to be sad and hungry.
    Second you need to figure out your calories and your macros(protein, fats and carbs needs). To lose weight you need to burn more calorie than you take in. Let's say you need 2500 calories a day by cutting to 2000 cal you could lose 1 lb every week (1 lb of fat has about 3500 calories).
    I agree with Fairysoul. You should do some cooking so you have a better control of your intake.
    I would also recommend getting a scale. I got one on Amazon for $15. Makes measuring a lot easier.
    Buy some spices that you like. It will allow you to make tasty chicken, lean beef or fish and still stick with the diet.
    You can still eat what you want on A LIMITED PORTION once a week just to keep you sane.
    You can also try low cal products. For me the hardest thing was giving regular coke so I started drinking Coke Zero.
    One idea for breakfast if you like eggs is to use egg whites. I mix one whole egg and 1/4 cup of egg whites.
    I also use coconut oil instead of oil or butter. It has good fats and make the food taste great. 1 tea spoon cooks my whole breakfast (egg, egg whites, turkey sausage, cheese).
    Just remeber this is a marathon not a sprint. You have to manage yourself and make it work.
    Feel free to ask if you have more questions. I am not a pro but I will be happy to help.
    Good luck.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you like to cook, www.skinnytaste.com has GREAT recipes. Most are very easy and I haven't had a bad one yet!

Overall, I think you need to try to have more balance. When I did Weight Watchers, I learned that it's best to have 2 dairy servings, a minimum of 5 fruit/veggie servings, healthy oils (olive is a good one), and some lean protein each day. (I don't think dark meat chicken is very lean - although it's yummy!)
  • skpresley20
    skpresley20 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    The first thing Iearned in my weightloss is that you don't have to be sad and hungry.
    Second you need to figure out your calories and your macros(protein, fats and carbs needs). To lose weight you need to burn more calorie than you take in. Let's say you need 2500 calories a day by cutting to 2000 cal you could lose 1 lb every week (1 lb of fat has about 3500 calories).
    I agree with Fairysoul. You should do some cooking so you have a better control of your intake.
    I would also recommend getting a scale. I got one on Amazon for $15. Makes measuring a lot easier.
    Buy some spices that you like. It will allow you to make tasty chicken, lean beef or fish and still stick with the diet.
    You can still eat what you want on A LIMITED PORTION once a week just to keep you sane.
    You can also try low cal products. For me the hardest thing was giving regular coke so I started drinking Coke Zero.
    One idea for breakfast if you like eggs is to use egg whites. I mix one whole egg and 1/4 cup of egg whites.
    I also use coconut oil instead of oil or butter. It has good fats and make the food taste great. 1 tea spoon cooks my whole breakfast (egg, egg whites, turkey sausage, cheese).
    Just remeber this is a marathon not a sprint. You have to manage yourself and make it work.
    Feel free to ask if you have more questions. I am not a pro but I will be happy to help.
    Good luck.

I cook every day, but I am a stay at home mom, so I'm limited to what my husband buys for food. I know I should be eating leaner meat instead of dark chicken, but that's all we can afford atm.
    I'm an avid water drinker, and every now and then I'll sneak something sweet, or make iced tea.
    We def. use coconut, and canola oil because they are the healthiest.
    I most definately have a problem with breakfast, because I have a 7 month old, and I attend classes at night, so by the time I get home, get H.W done, clean, and get the baby in bed, and myself in bed, it's LATE, so that causes me to sleep in late in the morning.

I'm so discouraged because I feel I do okay with exercise, and I FEEL like I eat okay (maybe not the best considering our financial circumstances) but I try to do good with what I have. I attempt to stay under my calories, and on the rare occasion I go over, I try to make up for it with exercise and eating less during the rest of the week.

But I'm STILL not seeing any weight come off. So that's why I asked for help.

Is MFP lying? because it says you'll loose a pound a week staying under your calories and I've been doing that, But I'll jump jump a pound then loose a pound, But I'll never go under my original weight. Just up one, down one.

I JUST started losing weight like a month ago, so I'm wondering if I hit a plataeu....or is it too early in the game for that?