How do you do it?

Options
How do you stay motivated on a day to day basis? I find that I can keep up the passion and motivation for a few weeks at a time, and then one small slip up, and I'm on track to gaining everything back. I'm constantly fighting this feeling of imminent failure, and I'd love to be better at picking myself up after a small slip up and get back on track instead of totally giving up.

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I take it one choice at a time. There are no "forbidden" foods and I focus on keeping my calories below my limit and getting my exercise in. In the past when I would try to go from my normal diet to a totally clean diet, I would fall off the wagon very quickly. Now, If I have a brownie (like I did at lunch), I log it, and make sure I have the calories and go from there. One bad choice doesn't lead me to multiple.

Hang in there. You can do it!
  • jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    One good way is to have a few friends who hold accountable as well as being your support and encouragement. Knowing they are looking forward to seeing your activities, complimenting you on your accomplishments, is a bit of motivation that just might keep you going.
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I consider myself to be blessed with an awesome support group. My wife and friends continue to encourage me and compliment me as I progress in achieving the body of my dreams. I've been on this journey for close to three years and have worked into a good rhythm of watching what I eat and exercising. Now I'm pretty much addicted to working out.

I hear a good motivation for some people is to post a picture of their dream body on their fridge or mirror to remind themselves what they want to achieve.
  • viennad
    Options
    I'm always afraid to talk to friends and family about my goals. I feel like then when I fail, it'll be even more embarrassing. I'm also afraid to become that person who ONLY talks about weight loss and exercising. Maybe I need to start talking about it though. I'm sure my true friends will support me- and tell me to shut up when I'm getting annoying.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am sorry about you staying on track. what seems to set you back with the slip ups? For me I allow myself to have anything I want but just a small amount of it. I have found over the years that if I refuse to eat anything bad for me I then pig out and lose all desire to try again.
    This time...I eat what I want and when I want it. ...it is not a matter of IF I slip but when I slip I pick myself back up and start over the next morning. I wake up each morning to challenge myself in some way. It could be working out, or even eating. I have to have a challenge to keep me fresh. Write your goals out and try to reach one each week.
    We all have set backs, I just recovered from rotor cuff surgery, I had knee and feet problems but I just keep going. If YOU want to lose then you have to find your way of doing it It will be 2 yrs for me in March but I am still going after my prize...A thinner healthier Me!!!! You have to remember this isn't a diet...diets are made to fail...this is a LIFE CHANGE!!!
    Mary
  • viennad
    Options
    It always starts with missing a workout. When I get a run or a workout in, I stay on track with food. Once I miss a workout, or start skipping gym days, I loosen up on eating choices, it gets harder to go back to the gym, and then I'm in a crazy cycle.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    when I do something, I don't see messing up as an option. Even my friends ask me why not eat this for instance, I simply answer cause its not an option for me right now, maybe latter on but not now.
    That worked for me.
  • kellyss20
    kellyss20 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Set small goals for yourself and reward yourself for meeting the goals. For example, if you can complete x number of workouts per week for 4 weeks then buy yourself a treat (new nailpolish, a new pair of jeans, new shoes, whatever will fit in your budget).
  • MissGoHard
    MissGoHard Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A few things have helped me stay for the long haul this time

A) My attitude and perception about the change has change. I no longer view this as a diet or short term goal. This is for life so it doesn't matter how long it takes me to get there, I will get there. Remember you didn't get here in a month, so its going to take some time to get to where you want to be

B) I have set aside smaller goals. I used to say I want lose 20 lbs in 1 month. Thats crazy and a lot of pressure to put on myself. So instead I starting setting smaller goals, like losing 4 lbs by the end of the month. And if I did great BUT if I didn't then I wouldn't harp on it, I would move on. But I would be honest with myself and reflect on whay could I have done better, but I wouldn't dwell on it

C) Exercise in disguise. My choice of exercise has changed. I no longer view working out as something I have to do, but I view it as something I want to do, because I've selected workouts that are fun for me (running, zumba, kickboxing), whatever it is you like to do, DO IT!

D) Track! Track! Track! It is so important to track what you eat! Even if you get off course one day, still track it! Its important to know how bad are you are on bad days, so that you can learn from them.

Good luck!

Friend me if you wish!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I just dont waste my time feeling guilty about falling off the wagon once in a while. I try to eat healthy and get back on track right away.