Yogurt and sugar

Options
I need help finding a yogurt without all the sugar. The one i get now is great value light strawberry yogurt mostly because it has less calories and its the cheapest for its size (can't pay a dollar for one yogurt), but the sugar in it is killing me, even the light and fit yogurt has more sugar.

I can't eat plain yogurt, (can't even muscle it down), anyone know of a flavored yogurt without all the sugar.

Unless i should worry about the sugar for some unknown reason.

I've looked at Fiber one and activa, are they better even with more sugar, or am i missing their low sugar variety.

Replies

• aimsnz2011
    Options
    Greek Yogurt with a little honey is lower in sugar and higher in protein than the flavoured.Its natural and way better for you.Hope that helps
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    try plain and add your own fruit or sweetener
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    I think Dannon light and fit yogurt has a "low sugar" kind. I've seen it before in the grocery store, I think it is geared towards diabetics.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Buy plain yogurt and a jar of sugar free jam. Mix and VOILA! sugar free flavored yogurt. I use homemade sugar free jams, but the principle is the same.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Athenos Greek yogurt (Strawberry) has 9g sugar I believe.

EDIT: sorry....10g sugar :)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    See if you can get full-fat yogurt. The reason all the companies add sugar is because when they take out the fat to make it low-fat or no-fat, it tastes like crap. So all the low-fat or no-fat versions add sugar to compensate. IMHO, the sugar is worse for your body than the fat, but that's just me... everyone's body is different.

Other suggestion: buy plain unflavored yogurt, and then mix in a scoop of flavored protein powder OR a crystal light packet to flavor it. Tastes great!
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    totally hands down greek yogurt rules with lower milk sugars and higher protein. I get the plain and add agave or stevia to it and then add in my own alcohol free extracts like vanilla, almond, coconut and also fresh lemon juice is another.

If you have not ever tried this, you probably won't go back to pre-sweetened yogurts again.

But, that is just my experience.

Great question btw.

Nyla
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I agree. Get plain and add your own sweetener and perhaps a drop of flavoring if you like. There is a lot you can do with yogurt and make it taste good. You can even make smoothies with it. If you have a blender, the things you can do are endless. I love the Greek yogurt. I forget the brand but it has very little sugar.
  • vee_b
    vee_b Posts: 2
    Options
    Kroger Carb Master....My favorite is cherry. It only has 3g sugar.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    totally hands down greek yogurt rules with lower milk sugars and higher protein. I get the plain and add agave or stevia to it and then add in my own alcohol free extracts like vanilla, almond, coconut and also fresh lemon juice is another.

If you have not ever tried this, you probably won't go back to pre-sweetened yogurts again.

But, that is just my experience.

Great question btw.

Nyla

^ Agreed!
  • cinder701
    Options
    Greek Yogurt with a little honey is lower in sugar and higher in protein than the flavoured.Its natural and way better for you.Hope that helps

This was what Iw as gonna suggest I love it..
  • patellen
    Options
    There are yogurts made with splenda at Krogers.
  • Kris10V77
    Options
    Greek Yogurt for sure. way better for you and lots more protein. You can add your own fresh fruit to it, and I even sprinkle a spenda packet to make it a little sweeter. Hope that helps!
  • beckyhester
    beckyhester Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get Trader Joe's - Greek Style Nonfat Plain Yogurt - it is the one with 0% on the front. 1 serving (1 cup) is 120 calories and 22g of protein and only 6g of sugar. It is one of the highest grams of protein for yogurt that I have found. I then add fresh/frozen berries to it for a little sweetness.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    A couple others mentioned Dannon Light & Fit. This is what I eat. The "diabetic-friendly/carb control" version, to be specific. Each 4 oz container has 45 to 50 calories (depending on flavor) and 2 g of sugar.

Plain Greek yogurt works, too, but I also have to add artificial sweetener to it or it's just too sour for me.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating yogurt too because of the sugars. I started eating non fat plain greek yogurt for the protein but I hate it plain. I mix in 1 ibs of peanut butter and stevia and it's delicious that way.
  • brooksaceb
    brooksaceb Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    thanks i'll try mixing my own