I need Running tips :)

Options
Hi MFP!!!!! OK so my story is I have been working out on average 5 days a week since July and lost 16# so far :bigsmile: I started a running class in September and we started very slow. I wanted to quit once we got to running only 3 mins at a time!!!! But I signed up and will finish the class which ends Monday. Last night we ran 22 mins straight!!!!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!!!!! I never thought I could EVER do that!!!!

When I work out it's for an hour min...spin, step, zumba weights, hikes. So I should have some stamina right????? I run soooooo slow!!! My legs are OK it's my breathing...I am huffing and puffing!!!! When will that get better????? I don't smoke..:noway: So how do I get to that place of it's fun to run???? Will I????

Thanks for your tips and feedback!!!!:happy:

Replies

• Enginette
    Enginette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I have to really concentrate on my breathing. At first, it was extremely difficult and felt like I was having even more trouble trying to breathe and run, but now I have it down. I breathe in for 3 (just count to three) and out for three. In through the nose, out through the mouth. To be honest, I'm not actually sure if that's how you're supposed to do it, but that's what works for me, so that's what I do. It's helped immensely.
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump. Great job!!!
  • esmecgg
    Options
    My advice *based solely on my own common sense and absolutely no medical training* would be to give it time. Don't try increasing distance or speed, just get used to where you are at now. All good things take time, and one day you'll realize you're breathing a little easier! It may also depend on how much you have to lose.

Good luck!!!
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    When I slowed my pace a little bit, the breathing part got much easier.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Great job on what you have accomplished so far! I wasn't much of a runner until starting C25K last year and breathing was one of the obstacles for me. I just really focused on it, tried to start breathing through my nose more and more and then worked on switching from nose to mouth also. Not sure when, but after getting the point where I could run any sort of distance the breathing just became easier for me.
    Stick with it, it will get better!
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    im newer to running too, but ive got to where i can jog 36mins straight @5mph, so that's 3miles straight. ive learned that if i think about my breathing, i over think it and breathe heavier. if u just try to keep a steady, slow pace it will eventually become easier. i have never in my life been a jogger/runner. couldnt even finish a whole mile without stopping before so for me to be able to do 3 miles straight is amazing. another trick i use (which some may disagree with, but it really helps me) is have a piece of gum in ur mouth, it keeps ur mouth from drying out and makes it easier to breathe. i know that sounds strange but it helps...
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Don't worry about your pace.

I've been an off-and-on runner for a couple of years now, mostly as something to do when it's too dark or cold for me to drag out my bike. The advice I get from the family kiniseologist (my brother-in-law) is to start slowly, don't up your time or distance by more than 10% a week, and give yourself plenty of recovery days until your legs toughen up.

Also, learn to love breathing hard. I don't know any way to run that does not involve huffing and puffing. I find the first 15-20 minutes of running is hard, but once I get good and warmed up, it gets easier. The tough part for beginners is that those first 20 minutes of suck end just as your workout is ending. It will get better.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Work on your breathing technique like Icky described. Increase your speed work a bit. Might increase your ability get O2 to your muscles. Keep at it, 22 mins is great. Keep it up.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have been running between 60 and 80 miles per month, and have been a runner in different chapters in my life. I can honestly say that "Fun" is not a word that I ever used to describe running. I run because I feel that it is the ultimate solitary sport. It offers me the ability to challenge myself, to better my time, or run farther, or faster. If I had to choose a word to describe running, it would be; satisfying. I will say that the challenge of running is satisfying, in that your body will adjust quickly to running. My advice would be to enter charity runs, and short organized runs (3 mile, 5k's). Although it is a solo sport, it is motivating to be around other runners. Running also offers the ability to just take time away from the day to day, and clear your mind. Enjoy the run!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a year and still have trouble with the breathing part. It takes practice. Concentrate on breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth and breath from your diaphragm, not your lungs (your belly should go out instead of your shoulders going up).
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    another trick i use (which some may disagree with, but it really helps me) is have a piece of gum in ur mouth, it keeps ur mouth from drying out and makes it easier to breathe. i know that sounds strange but it helps...
    I do this too for the same reasons! I hate running when I forget my gum :laugh:
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have to really concentrate on my breathing. At first, it was extremely difficult and felt like I was having even more trouble trying to breathe and run, but now I have it down. I breathe in for 3 (just count to three) and out for three. In through the nose, out through the mouth. To be honest, I'm not actually sure if that's how you're supposed to do it, but that's what works for me, so that's what I do. It's helped immensely.

That's exactly what I did! I was pretty slow when I completed the C25K program but I kept at it. Two weeks after I completed the program I started B210 and spent most of that time concentrating on my breathing...I made sure I took deep breaths through my nose and exhaled through my mouth. I also paid attention to my stride and making sure I swung my arms above my heart (or I'd cramp). I ended up running my first 10K a week and half after I started the program. I did it in 66 minutes but that was a lot faster than my 5K speed. It probably took 2 - 3 weeks before it became habit and I didn't have to think about it anymore. Now I can run 6 miles on my treadmill at 6 mph while reading.

Oh I forgot to mention, I graduated the C25K program on 9/21, running at 5mph. Now my best run to date is 6 miles in 58 minutes. I'm still a work in progress though. I use B210K for interval training to increase my speed.
  • chrikoko12202007
    Options
    another trick i use (which some may disagree with, but it really helps me) is have a piece of gum in ur mouth, it keeps ur mouth from drying out and makes it easier to breathe. i know that sounds strange but it helps...
    I do this too for the same reasons! I hate running when I forget my gum :laugh:

i find it hard to even make it through the first mile without a piece!! LOL
  • curbnoise
    curbnoise Posts: 37 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I do when I feel winded or my HRM shows my heart rate getting too high. I focus on breathing in deeply through my nose (3 count too) and exhale through my mouth for a three count. No scientific data by it seems to work for at least two of us.
  • tamaranash
    tamaranash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Everyone gave great advice! Some food for thought would be that possibly you have exercise induced asthma. Most people don't realize it ( I didn't ) and go on through life not knowing.. Some signs you may have it are, frequent chest colds that you tend to lose your voice, or that colds tend to go to your lungs.. Lived in a home as a child with smokers.. have lots of allergies to environmental pollens or pollutants. Also, some just experience this with cold air when running.. Your family doctor can likely rule it in or out with a breathing test (non invasive, like blowing out candles) I am a nurse.. and I had to use puffers.. and wow did my running improve tremendously.. Ventolin, the airway opening medication, is what I take before running has changed my life, I run father and faster.. I also had to go on a steroid, but not all people do.. I have horrible allergies.. and that is likely part of it.. Hope this helps. you can google exercise induced asthma, or reactive airway for further information, Tamara
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I was not a serious runner until this year. I had never run more than a mile at one time prior to January. On October 16th I completed a 1/2 marathon... I was slow at 11:34 min mile, but I finished it without walking one step...

That being said, besides getting the right shoes for my tragically flat feet, learning how to breathe so I didn't think I would die was my biggest obstacle. This might sound kind of weird... but it works for me, so it might work for you too... and that is to sing while you run. Now, I have a terrible voice, and acknowledge that openly, so I don't really sing, but rather, whisper sing along to whatever tune is on my ipod but whenever I feel like I just can't get a good breath, I listen to the song that is playing and start to sing along and before I know it, I feel like I could run forever.

Honestly, I think it has something to do with completely emptying my lungs so I can get good complete breaths in, but this is the method that has proved successful for me.

I wish you luck...

Feel free to add me as a friend is you are looking for low pressure running support... I'm still fairly new to it... but going strong, none the less.

:smile:
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Your still in the beginning stages. Your cardiovascular system has not caught up with your muscular system. This is the reason for the breathing issues.

If you really want running to be 'easy', you need to become a runner and not simply somebody who runs.

When you can run 3 miles without stopping, you need to slowly add distance to a couple runs/week and leave the remaining runs at 3 miles. Eventually the shorter 3 mile runs will become easy and fairly enjoyable.

If you keep at it long enough and continue to add mileage and push yourself, you will reach a point where your cario system is not the limiting factor. There will even be days where you feel like you could run forever if you had the time.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Everyone gave great advice! Some food for thought would be that possibly you have exercise induced asthma.

it's worth checking out with your doc. I've been asthmatic since I was a kid, although symptoms decreased a lot in adulthood. For me, If I'm gassed when I'm running, I breathe a little differently than a lot of people do. First, I breathe in through my mouth AND nose. If I'm breathing hard, it's because my body wants more O2, so I'm going to get it in any way possible. Second, I try to exhale in a controlled way, by pursing my lips slightly and breathing out through my mouth in a controlled way, almost as if I'm trying to whistle. That seems to help when I'm having airway issues.

I pre-treat with Ventolin(albuterol) about ten minutes before EVERY workout, whether running, biking, walking, playing sports, whatever. It's a massive help.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    :happy: WOW - THANKS!!!!!! You guys are AWESOME.

Tamara ~ I do have asthma and take Advair daily...or most days :ohwell: I also have a rescue inhaler which I did take before my run yesterday....Thanks soooo much!

Wow gum!!!! I buy it by the case....I will give it a try along with counting....not sure about singing...but maybe :wink:

I did get fitting for shoes the week after the class started. I was having hip and knee pain...but NO MORE!!! Shoes are the foundation!

I am going to go for a 5K...we just had one last weekend in our area - I missed it...kind of glad since it rained!!! I am going to see if I can find another coming up soon. I am signed up for a half marathon in Feb 2012. I can't imagine running it.... but I joined this class to get to were I can run for a mile or two. Now that being said...with your feed back I am wanting to go for another run today and I just might beable to run the whole 1/2!!!!! Who knows :bigsmile:

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love MFP!!!!! I really need to get back to work :grumble: Enjoy the day :wink: