Yoga and Zumba

Options
I'm looking at classes to take next term and I happened to notice that my school is offering Zumba classes two days a week next term. I'm thinking of taking that and a yoga class, which is also two days a week, on alternating days. I've never done either, and I've been having a really hard time getting motivated to workout, so I figured if I was taking a class (that I'm getting a grade for!) that it might help me out a bit in that department. Anyone had a lot of success doing either of these?

Replies

• dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do them both weekly. Along with a good diet they are a great excersize! zumba is fun and yoga is relaxing
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    you are going to LOVE both!!!
    THEY will be your motivation to go to class everyday!!! (assuming instructors are engaging)
  • dmjacobs315
    Options
    I take Zumba 4 nights a week and just love it. It's great exercise and fun to do.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Yoga, I go to a class too, and while I haven't gone lately, I know it definitely makes me sweat, relax, and helps me feel better. :D
  • hjames0486
    Options
    I take zumba classes 2x a week and I love it. I have fun doing the routines, even if I don't know them, and I am always leaving covered in sweat. It is the best work out that doesn't feel like a work!
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes! I get sooooo bored working out and hate it, but going to fun classes is what keeps me going! I do Zumba once or twice a week, cardio boxing classes, and step aerobics. Zumba is the one that i find the most fun and goes by the quickest. I am trying to add in yoga twice a week too because I noticed a huge difference in my body when I was doing yoga regularly a few years ago...You should definitely try both :)
  • AwesomeMe
    AwesomeMe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Zumba is so much fun. Great to see guys taking the class as well.:laugh:
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the impression lately that the only way to really work muscles and get the "ideal" physique is by weight lifting, but that just sounds so boring to me. Have you guys seen an improvement in strength and muscle tone while doing these, or am I really going to have to do weights to get the body I want?
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I wish I could sign up for those classes! I think you will enjoy! I love Zumba and Yoga!
  • jillmarie31
    jillmarie31 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I taught Zumba for 2 ½ years and LOVE it!! I'm guessing you will, too!!!
  • jillmarie31
    jillmarie31 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    In response to the post about loving guys being in class... I used to LOVE when husbands would do it with their wives when I taught :). We just had a new guy come into class for the first time today :).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You will benefit greatly from both.

Zumba is hard at first, but once you get the steps down, you'll be good to go. It's like aerobics -- they do a routine to every song, so the same steps over and over and once you get the hang of those steps, you can just keep doing the routine. But it's FAST and complicated, so it may take a couple classes. Don't get discouraged! I figure as long as I'm moving and my HR is up, it doesn't matter. And everyone is so focused on the teacher, trying to get the routine, they won't know if you're not doing it right.

And I LOVE yoga.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've gotten the impression lately that the only way to really work muscles and get the "ideal" physique is by weight lifting, but that just sounds so boring to me. Have you guys seen an improvement in strength and muscle tone while doing these, or am I really going to have to do weights to get the body I want?
    You need both cardio and weight training, though the form of weight training can vary. Power/Vinyasa yoga is very effective weight training.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You need both cardio and weight training, though the form of weight training can vary. Power/Vinyasa yoga is very effective weight training.

The class is power yoga, but it's only twice a week. Will that be enough? I guess I could try it out for a while and add more if I feel like I need it. I'm just so lost in this muscle building thing, I'm needing some reassurance :/
  • claire7090
    Options
    Not doneYoga but Zumba is great. I started going and now 3 other Mum's from my daughters class come with me we have great laugh and burn calories at the same time!
  • rml_16
    Options

The class is power yoga, but it's only twice a week. Will that be enough? I guess I could try it out for a while and add more if I feel like I need it. I'm just so lost in this muscle building thing, I'm needing some reassurance :/
    You will definitely feel the burn if you've never done it before. It works your muscles very hard.

Whether you need more is subjective. Some people who are hardcore will tell you that you do, but I think it's an individual thing. I do about 30 minutes of yoga three times a week on my own and then I TRY to get to the gym three times a week for 20-30 minutes of weights. It's a preference.
  • lacespace
    Options
    Yoga is relaxing and meditation which is opposite of zumba that is energetic and pumps you up. Depends on what relaxes you, moving around with hiper music or slow moves and meditation music.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba when I can and I love it. The class atmosphere is great, especially if you click with your instructor. Also, I feel that being in a group makes me work a little harder, and I certainly can't give up!
  • kswift85
    kswift85 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to take Zumba classes and loved the class and the friends I made their. Once I moved I didn't have the time or money for a gym so I ended up getting the first Zumba game for kinect and then the dvd set. Love Zumba and have so much fun doing it...its one work out I know I will push myself to do!