Eating well on a budget

Options
I see a lot of posts asking for suggestions on how to eat healthy on a budget and wanted to share some tips I have learned. I absolutely do not know everything and would be grateful if y’all have anything else to share.

WARNING: this is going to be a long post but I’ll break it up into sections for easier reading.

GENERAL TIPS:
•Couponing does help. I am far from an extreme couponer but I do make use of them but only for things I want/need. Coupons are rarely available for healthy food items but they are plentiful for paper and cleaning products, condiments, and pharmacy items. The key to making it work financially is being able to buy a lot of something when it’s on sale and you have coupons. I try to keep about 20% of our budget available for such items so I can get a really awesome deal.

•Cooking/making/growing as much as possible yourself is always cheaper and generally healthier. My personal motto at the grocery is, if it comes in a package or box, I can make it myself and it will taste better and be cheaper.

•Your freezer is your friend. If I make something that works out to 5 servings, it will be just as easy to make 20 servings and freeze the extra for later. One of the sweetest compliments I ever got was from a new friend visiting and she told me I reminded her of her Jewish Aunt, “You’re hungry? What would you like? Hamburger, stew, beans, chili, meatballs, soup, muffins, banana bread? Let’s see what we have in the freezer.” Having pre-made meals in the freezer can be a life (and diet) saver after a long day at work mid-week. A small chest freezer will run you about $100-200 but it’s worth the investment.

•Investing in some decent cookware will actually save you money in the future. For years I spent $40-80 on super cheap cookware sets from Walmart, etc. but they only last 1-2 years if you’re lucky. In some cases I have destroyed frying pans in less than 3 months. Two pieces that will get you through almost any dish are a cast iron dutch oven and cast iron frying pan. I got these at my local grocery for $35 and $20 and rarely use anything else. This time of year is a great time to get good quality cookware on sale. Christmas list? A few other things that will come in handy are decent bamboo cooking utensils, a silicon spatula (it’s worth paying $8, it will last forever), a meat thermometer, a turkey baster (not just for turkeys), cookie sheet, muffin pan, and a pyrex baking pan. If you buy quality materials, you should only pay ~$200 for everything you need and they will last FOREVER!

•I have recently discovered that glass storage containers last a lot longer than Tupperware. Of course, there are times when glass will not be appropriate but more and more I have been using glass quart jars for storage instead of plastic containers. Like the cookware, it’s a higher initial investment but they last forever.

MEATS (including seafood):
•Buy lots of meat when it’s on sale and the family packs are always cheaper. You can separate things at home before freezing to make it easier to deal with. I have been known to buy 3-5 turkeys this time of year because they are so cheap. I love turkey and a Saturday turkey feast in March or June is just as exciting as in the fall.

•Concerning poultry and seafood, buying the entire animal is generally cheaper and cooking the whole animal tastes better. In poultry a lot of the flavor is in the bones and skin, so the breast off a whole roasted chicken will taste way better than the prepackaged boneless, skinless chicken breasts. However, roasting a whole chicken every night is not something I have time for. I usually buy the split chicken breasts when they are on sale for </= $1/lb. I will spend $15-20 on chicken, open the packages when I get home and freeze them individually for convenience. Other great options for chicken are the family packs of chicken thighs and the whole frying chickens. You can cut up a whole chicken and then freeze it. Cut up, it will cook faster than whole.

•In seafood, the flavor is in the skin, shell, and head. Baking a whole fish or boiling whole shrimp or crabs is much more flavorful than using the pre-cleaned/cut/cooked seafood in the frozen isle. Concerning shrimp, living in New Orleans (and marrying a man from Mississippi) has ruined me. I won’t eat shrimp unless it’s fresh, whole, Gulf shrimp. Anything else will just be a disappointment.

•Another benefit to the whole animal is the broth. Boil the bones, shells, carcass for 2-3 hours, strain, and put in containers to freeze. Every dish I’ve ever made tastes better when made with broth instead of water.

•Concerning beef and pork, the cheaper cuts of meat are tougher, that’s why they are cheaper. You can counteract this by cooking them slowly. A super cheap beef round roast (~$1-2/lb) will be delicious after simmering in the slow cooker (crock pot) all day. SAVE the liquid from the pot! That will be the most delicious broth for your next meal.

VEGETABLES:
•Buy in season! This will make a huge difference in cost, especially if you are trying to buy organic or from the farmers, etc.

•For veg like green beans, peas, and corn, I buy them from the farmer’s market in season, clean and freeze them for later.

•For the leaf veg and things like bell peppers and cucumber after they are cut, store them in the fridge in a loosely closed ziplock (don’t squeeze the air out) with a paper towel and they will last a long time. I love spinach but never buy the prewashed kind with the other fancy salad mixes. I buy bunch spinach, which is usually over by the other lettuces. I pinch off the stems, wash it, shake it dry in a dish towel, and put in a ziplock with a paper towel. It will last up to 3wks in the fridge, maybe longer. Difference in price is AMAZING! Bagged baby spinach is easily $3-4 and the bunched spinach will give you twice as much for ~$1.25.

•Celery – yes, it deserves its own bullet. In New Orleans, I learned the holy trinity to cooking is chopped onion, green pepper, and celery but celery always wilted (went saggy) in the fridge. Cut off the bottom (not too much) and put it in a big cup with a little water in the fridge. It will stay crispy and fresh for a long time. In the holy trinity, use the celery leaves. Just chop them up like the stems and toss them in or you can use them on their own in salads. The leaves have more flavor than the stems.

FRUIT:
•Buy in season! This will make a huge difference in cost, especially if you are trying to buy organic or from the farmers, etc.

•Frozen fruit from the grocery is really expensive. You can make your own in the summer and it will last all winter. This year was a great year for strawberries. Every trip, I bought 4-8 quarts, trimmed off the stems, washed them, and froze them in ziplocks.

•Often at the end of the season, you can buy fruit for super cheap. I buy tons of it and freeze it. Just about any fruit can be frozen. Peaches, nectarines, plums, blueberries, melon, grapes, strawberries, anything! Frozen fruit is a great snack on its own, can be used in smoothies, or thawed and used for muffins, pies, exciting chicken dish, etc.

•Over rip banana’s also go in the freezer at our house. I use them to make muffins or bread or whatever. If you’re a gardener, you can also bury them under your roses and the potassium will boost the number of blooms.

FINAL TIPS:
•If you read the whole post, you have probably noticed that I use A LOT of ziplocks. I actually wash and reuse them because I go through so many. The ones I store meat in, I usually throw away but the ones that contain fruit and veg, I just wash them in warm soapy water, rinse well, and prop them open on some cups to dry. They are perfectly good for 4-5 uses in general before they start to fall apart.

Replies

• Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    bump for later... Thanks
  • lackie09
    lackie09 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    OMG! I ditto EVERYTHING I just read... (i didn't know about the bananas for roses though, will have to try that)

Also, I went to the store yesterday... got zucchini, baby carrots, celery, and bell peppers, enough to last me for about 3 to 4 days, all for about 5 bucks. WHICH is the cost of a fast food meal!

I too wash and reuse my ziplocks I use them alot as well.

One other tip, is buy bulk dry goods... beans legumes, etc... I LOVE hummus and I eat it alot, its nutritious and filling. I buy dry garbanzos and cook them. They taste MUCH better and you get so much more for your money (you may have mentioned this in your post but I don't remember seeing it, that was alot to take in LOL)

Thanks for the post;)

Ronney
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I <3 you.
    That is all.

p.s. I do not use ziplock baggies at all, but do appreciate that they are useful. We invested in a couple sets of reusable, freezable, microwavable, dishwasher-safe storage containers from Costco, and I use freezer paper for meat. Saves me even more.
    I also use canning jars, etc.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Great tips! A lot of people don't cook at home because they think it's too expensive, too difficult, too time consuming. I find it takes just as long to order and go pick up take out as it does to cook a healthful, delicious meal for a fraction of the cost (e.g. last night my husband got take-out Mexican, it was $25 and took him 35 minutes from phone call to dinner table; I can do a lot better).

Thanks for dispelling the myths.

My favorite Frugalista tip to add is that I put the tops and bottoms of onions, celery, and carrots, sometimes squash and other veggies, in a ziploc in my freezer instead of throwing them away. When I have a chicken carcass or bones for stock, I use those frozen veggie ends that otherwise would have gone to waste. Also, I never have to worry about having enough onion, carrot & celery when I want to make stock!
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This is a GREAT post!!! I do a lot of the same things myself. When I shop people think I have a family of 8...when actually there are only 2 of us there.... I also like to go to the meat dept early in the morning when the store opens. They usually mark down the meat they put out the previous day... the last time I went to the store I got 15lbs of ground beef for $6.00.... I premade 4oz patties with some and out the rest in 1 lb packages....

PS... I reuse baggies too.....

Thanks for this!!!:drinker:
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    So glad you mentioned coupons :) I save at least 80-100% on ALL my cleaning, laundry, Health and beauty and paper products.. This allows more for the fresh and organic fruits, meats and veggies :) I also find i save a lot on my very spoiled kitty :) Looks like we have alot of the same tips and tricks :)
  • geri1955
    geri1955 Posts: 106
    Options
    AWESOME TY FOR SOME OF THOSE TIPS! some I already do, but ty for the new ones!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kpxfiles
    kpxfiles Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Great tips.
  • DesertCowgirl
    DesertCowgirl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Those tips will certainly be helpful to me! Thank you!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    •I have recently discovered that glass storage containers last a lot longer than Tupperware. Of course, there are times when glass will not be appropriate but more and more I have been using glass quart jars for storage instead of plastic containers. Like the cookware, it’s a higher initial investment but they last forever.

You are obviously not as clumsy as I. :wink:
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    WONDERFUL! THANK YOU FOR PUTTING IN THE TIME TO MAKE THIS
  • claire7090
    Options
    I have always cooked from fresh - bought when things are in season/or on special offers but when I was on maternity leave with my second child money was still really tight. The great tip I was given was to plan a week of meals and write a list of exactly what I needed after checking the cupboards/fridge/freezer for anything I already had and did not need to buy again. We found it saved us UK£100 a month (approx US$150) and we still ate great healthy homecooked food.
    Four years on I still write a menu plan each week and the book I write it all in is affectionally known as 'the brain' and my husband no longer has the excuse if he is first home from work of saying he did not know what I had planned for dinner and so starts cooking. Money saved and the cooking is shared!
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options

You are obviously not as clumsy as I. :wink:

LOL ditto! I can't count how many glasses I've already broken this year. Our cupboard is starting to look empty again, might be time for another trip to Walmart for cheap glasses.

OP and others -- thanks for the tips!
  • ydeleon
    Options
    This is great information...Thanks for posting.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    p.s. I do not use ziplock baggies at all, but do appreciate that they are useful. We invested in a couple sets of reusable, freezable, microwavable, dishwasher-safe storage containers from Costco, and I use freezer paper for meat. Saves me even more.
    I also use canning jars, etc.

This is a good tip for me. Thanks, I will look into it. I bring my own bags to the grocery. I do care about the Earth but really I do not need 20,000 plastic shopping bags in my house. I also do not use the plastic produce bags as much as possible. I get the stink eye occasionally when my 5 green peppers are rolling around on the check out belt but I don't care. Some things though I do use the bags for like the spinach bc it's wet or when I buy 20 lemons bc they are on sale for 5/$1. I've been on the lookout for some reusable mesh produce bags but haven't found them anywhere. I am considering making my own.

Have you seen those reusable mesh bags anywhere? Online possibly?
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    So glad you mentioned coupons :) I save at least 80-100% on ALL my cleaning, laundry, Health and beauty and paper products.. This allows more for the fresh and organic fruits, meats and veggies :) I also find i save a lot on my very spoiled kitty :) Looks like we have alot of the same tips and tricks :)

LOVE the pet coupons! Our cat and the dogs are well cared for :wink: however, they are particular about their brands and I often find coupons for other brands. I've been making use of them as best I can afford and taking the stuff to our local animal shelter. I know Meaw Mix and Kibbles 'n Bits are not most nutritional brands out there but I figure the starving cats and dogs will not mind, at all.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I spend $100-150 a month on groceries for 2 and I do NOT coupon, it's easy!

I'd love to be an Extreme Couponer but the system just isn't set up like that in Canada. There is no such thing as doubling-up of coupons, no rewards points and coupons cannot be scanned, you have to sit there while the cashier reads the fine print to make sure you picked out the right model/size item.

I’m a working professional so no, I do NOT go around town to all grocery stores to buy their flyer deals. I go to Walmart and get whatever I need matching for cheap especially produce which is easiest to match. Flyers from Asian grocery stores that often have dirt cheap deals like .38 cent lb bananas and 58 cent lb peppers and zucchini.
  • rajalaw
    rajalaw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    Awesome tips. I do most of the same things. I rarely throw food away & i try to use everything before it spoils, sometimes I have to get creative! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my cast iron skillet & dutch oven. I rarely use any other cook ware. I also grow my own garden, so I grow what I use & freeze, can, or dehydrate what I want to preserve. I have recently purchased a few glass storage containers & I told my boyfriend I want a large set for xmas. I will have to try your celery suggestion, never heard that one before. A friend told me to trim my celery, wash & dry, then wrap in foil. It works, it stays crisp for weeks. Another kitchen aide that is well worth the investment is a salad spinner!!! Beats using all those paper towels for your salad greens & spinach. I grow alot of spring greens & spinach in my garden. I let them soak in cold water for a little while & then ryn them thru my salad spinner - works perfectly & is a big time saver, not to mention it save me from using a ton of paper towels. Your post was great, I love hearin & sharing food & money saving tips. Thanks!!