photoshop or lightroom?

Options
I would LOVE to have photoshop for Christmas. I have a friend who suggested lightroom. i looked up the LR vs. PS and the only thing im worried about is LR i dont think can merge a photo of Johnathan (my son that died) and the rest of our family so i can have pics of all of us together. does anyone have either one of these? what is your opinion? also, what version? im looking up on the internet and im like huh? i just need something basic yet functional for home use and not over 100$ or so

Replies

• tonlynn
    Options
    I have never used lightroom, but I have photoshop elements and can merge photos. I hope this helps!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    2 completely different softwares. Lightroom is geared towards digital negative (RAW) conversion and development and library organization and Photoshop is geared towards photo editing.
    You have 2 versions of Photoshop though, the creative suite and a smaller cheaper version Elements.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have photoshop, painter, and LR. They are all very different and accompolish different tasks.If you don't want a lot of high end features and want to basically merge photos, try avairy. It's a free online tool:

http://www.aviary.com/
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    You can also try GIMP. It's a free open source tool similar to photoshop:

http://www.gimp.org/
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    2 completely different softwares. Lightroom is geared towards digital negative (RAW) conversion and development and library organization and Photoshop is geared towards photo editing.
    You have 2 versions of Photoshop though, the creative suite and a smaller cheaper version Elements.

QFT

If you're post processing large batches of RAW files, get lightroom. If you want to start doing creative stuff with jpegs/bmps, start with Photoshop Elements until you get the hang of things. You'll be overwhelmed with Photoshop CS if you've never used Photoshop before.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Go for Photoshop Elements, it combines the organizational features of Lightroom and many of the editing features of the full Photoshop, about the only thing I wish I could do in Elements, that I can't, is to script activities. Unless you are a student or an educator the full version of Photoshop and Lightroom is very expensive. You should be able to get Photoshop Elements for less than $100.
  • judkinsjenny
    Options
    Sweet, thank you so much!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Elements.