Anyone trying to lose weight with PCOS?

Options
2»

Replies

• allofourdreams
    allofourdreams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i have PCOS.. was diagnosed in 2004.. i had lost weight in 2006.. going from 270 to 220 with the help of the oh-so-unhealthy hydroxycut.. through the years i gained some back and lost it again.. repeat. i never got above 245 though. i lost 10 pounds in June.. didn't really try again until the end of September.. i've lost 11 pounds since then.. and i'm going strong!! it's definitely do-able. i eat based on the correct calorie deficit with my BMR. i exercise anywhere from 5-7 days a week. slowly but surely, ladies... that's the only way to do it!! :) i only take birth control.. i tried taking metformin back in the day but it made me feel weird so i stopped. good news is i had an ultrasound the other day... and the nurse said that either my cysts are gone or they are so small that they're undetectable by the ultrasound due to taking my BC. YAYYYY!!!
  • pianokeyteeth
    Options
    Believe me, I've been told that about a hundred times before. Thing is, once I start eating more than 800 per day I start gaining weight. Sucks, huh?
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago. This year I have been taking my meds and eating balanced meals and I have lost 34/36 pounds I try to keep a reasonable carb diet. Add me if you want to.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Me! :happy:

Me too!! It can be done! :)
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    i have PCOS.. was diagnosed in 2004.. i had lost weight in 2006.. going from 270 to 220 with the help of the oh-so-unhealthy hydroxycut.. through the years i gained some back and lost it again.. repeat. i never got above 245 though. i lost 10 pounds in June.. didn't really try again until the end of September.. i've lost 11 pounds since then.. and i'm going strong!! it's definitely do-able. i eat based on the correct calorie deficit with my BMR. i exercise anywhere from 5-7 days a week. slowly but surely, ladies... that's the only way to do it!! :) i only take birth control.. i tried taking metformin back in the day but it made me feel weird so i stopped. good news is i had an ultrasound the other day... and the nurse said that either my cysts are gone or they are so small that they're undetectable by the ultrasound due to taking my BC. YAYYYY!!!

WOW that's amazing news, i really didn't know that was possible. Congratulations. Does this mean some of the symptons are lessened now? I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17 (10 years ago now). I lost weight a few years back, when from 13 stone down to 10.5. I was happy with that weight. Then I slowly crept up to 11.5 after getting married and managed to lose a bit recently, lost 16lbs eventually but then put some back on, now the scale isn't budging but my clothes are getting looser.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. The major turning point for me was getting on the right birth control. I still have had to work my butt off to get results but it helped. Also, I heard good things about Glucophage. I tried it and it makes me pass out but I guess that is pretty rare and has helped a lot of women lose weight and get their hormones under control.
    To me, I would suggest waiting for the surgery until your close to the weight you are aiming for. The healthier you are the less risk in the operating room.
    You sound like me, I was at 44.6 BMI and now I am at 32.9 after losing 63 pounds. I am so excited to go from obese to overweight! Only 2 more points! ;)

Good Luck!
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am! And its so frustrating. I take Metformin 3x/day, which does help maintain my weight but the PCOS makes it so hard to lose. I eat <600 calories everyday, all low-carb, exercise, and my weight just won't budge =/ It really puts a damper on pretty much everything.

that is definitely not enough calories to eat in a day.. you know they calculate it for you on here so you'll get the best results? you could be starving your body and any/all nutrients and fat it takes it, it might be storing.. hindering your weight loss. you really need to check out BMR under the "TOOLS" section.. that's how many calories your body burns just by living..

^^^^^i agree!
  • kiwi_tobi
    kiwi_tobi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am! And its so frustrating. I take Metformin 3x/day, which does help maintain my weight but the PCOS makes it so hard to lose. I eat <600 calories everyday, all low-carb, exercise, and my weight just won't budge =/ It really puts a damper on pretty much everything.

I'm not sure you are eating enough. I am border line PCOS and I have found that if I fule my body with more cals that are low in carbs I can lose better. Just a thought that might help you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!