What do you use to fuel your body - Runners?

Options
Currently training for a half and full marathon. I'm just wondering what others use to fuel their bodies during a race? cliff shots, pretzels, gels, beans???

Replies

• lifeismoto
    Options
    personally...nothing in a half marathon...but gels are the way to go!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use gels :)
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I use red seedless grapes. My skinny wife uses a slice of pecan pie.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I get hungry midrace in a half marathon so I use Honey Stinger chews. On my recent long run a friend brought Honey Stinger Waffles and we tried those... yum, like a cookie while running. I can do that. lol
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    normally I don't for a half but thinking it might be a good idea for this one. It's Jan 7th and the full is Jan 8th. (Goofy Challenge at Walt Disney World)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Marathon Bars and Gu gels. I've also used Honey Stinger chews and Gu chomps.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Sport Beans, Gu Chomps and gatorade.
  • coreymusonda
    coreymusonda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    vanilla power gel around 10 miles
  • saffir27
    saffir27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I liked Luna Moons but they stopped making them about a year ago. Now I like gummy bears and pretzels.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I use the jelly belly energy beans on my longer runs, the energy gels upset my stomach too much.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Is it good to take stimulants for/during runs? Wont you become dependent and perform worst if you don't have them? I know if I drink coffee right before I run I can run significantly faster...
  • chicmama
    Options
    I'm curious too. I've done a half and needed nothing (can't manage to choke down the gels) but am
    Thinking I'll need somehow for my full...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've been eating regular Jelly Belly beans. I don't want anything with caffeine, I just need the sugar.
  • biobreak
    biobreak Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have one Gu (Vanilla Bean) every 5 or so miles during training for a marathon and on race day. For a marathon, you need to keep your fuel topped off or you're more likely to hit the wall around mile 20. By about 20 miles, most people have burned through the glycogen that's stored in your muscles, which the flame that lights the fat-burning fire you use for distance running. Try different things - there are lots of options - to figure out what sits best with you for race day.

My husband does ultras, and he's been known to eat PB&J sandwiches, soup and just plain ol' candy while on a run. Crazy man, but it works for him!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I use red seedless grapes. My skinny wife uses a slice of pecan pie.

I think I love your wife.

I'm experimenting with fueling during longer runs. I kinda like fruit ropes cut into small pieces. Going to try jelly belly energy ones sometime. I run first thing in the morning and eating before just doesn't work for me, but about an hour in I am definitely needing a boost.

My husband thinks I'm crazy because when I get home I make hot chocolate to mix with my coffee, and then inhale brownies.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Before I run (even training), I take a PowerBar caffeinated gel. I generally run super early and don't have time to let toast/banana settle in my stomach, plus I need the caffeine.
    When necessary, I will take a second one, sans caffeine, in the middle of my run (if it's a 10+ miler). I also love Shotbloks.
    Not everyone needs to refuel mid-run tho, so you don't have to if you don't want. But I would never, ever, try anything new on race day. I would recommend trying out all of the different brands and flavors, because they work different for everyone - I can't stomach the GU gels, but PowerBar is fine. Some races will hand out gels for runners during the race, so it's important to pay attention to the brand they work with - if your race hands out GU then you would want to train with GU if you plan on using the free race days ones, KWIM?
    Good luck!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Gu chomps or clif shot blocks. I've tried and tried to like the gels but they are just so. gawd. aweful! The chewies are a bit harder to deal with but its worth it to not feel like I'm going to vomit trying to choke down a gel.

ETA: banana and toast or bagel few hours before. And I've only done halfs. I bring fuel for anything over 10 miles but I'm slow (average ~13 min/mile long runs lately).
  • ksubbert
    ksubbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I can't stomach the gels.

For a half I just drink the Gatorade they hand out. Most full M's nowadays have some sort of food handout in the latter stages. I really like the little Snickers. But I never bring any food along, just take what they give. I also don't take the beer from HHH at around mile 20.