How do you celebrate a special occasion?

How do you celebrate a special occasion when trying to lose weight? In the past, most special events included a big meal. An anniversary, birthday, holiday, or even family or friends getting together seems to always include food - and not the variety that you want to add to your diary. Of course, there is always using self-control (if anybody has extra of this, I need to borrow some) but there has to be a better way. Anybody have any suggestions?

Replies

• Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    1. Exercise that morning, try to get a large burn to compensate for the night's meal/ alcohol consumption.
    2. Half or one third the meal you order, eat only that and take the rest home in a doggie bag.
    3. Eat/drink whatever you want that one night, enjoy yourself. Next day, go back to your healthy lifestyle and sweetly reminisce about the awesome time you had the night before.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    1. Exercise that morning, try to get a large burn to compensate for the night's meal/ alcohol consumption.
    2. Half or one third the meal you order, eat only that and take the rest home in a doggie bag.
    3. Eat/drink whatever you want that one night, enjoy yourself. Next day, go back to your healthy lifestyle and sweetly reminisce about the awesome time you had the night before.

^^^^ exactly this :)
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    bump
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Perfect!
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    By the way, I usually do number 1, then that night, promptly do number 3. Just FYI.....lol
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Our society is all about food and celebrating with food and drink. I personally think it's ok to go out and eat a nice meal. Just take care to eat reasonable portions and make sure the food is basically lacking in too much fat, sugar, etc. I don't think we should treat food as our enemy. We're designed to eat in order to function and be healthy. But many of us have simply eaten too much. And, I think, lots of crap is added to our food. Antibiotics, etc. So if you can try and eat organic when you celebrate, you should be in great shape. Just don't make it an excuse to pig out.

Also, drink a glass of cold water before you eat. You won't eat nearly as much if you do that.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    It can be a tough one but just make good food choices and dont go mad with the booze, or try doing extra training in the afternoon and create a deficit in calories. Either way enjoy it!
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    On my birthday I had an Edible Arrangement instead of cake and ice cream, still food but much healthier.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    I do it with a big nomnomnomnom. I log every bite. I enjoy every bite. Life's too short to avoid special occasions. That's why MFP is not a diet, it's a lifestyle.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Yep. what he said............
  • janeitg
    janeitg Posts: 33 Member
    I've been aiming for a non-food rewards, for example, attending a sporting event, purchasing something special, some special travel, a show, etc.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    I LOVE this question!
    One thing we have to remember in this journey is to NOT make our lives about food. A celebration is just that, meant to celebrate the day or event, not to have a free pass to overindulge.

My husband and I celebrated our 10th anniversary last fall, and I had scheduled to have grilled chicken breasts and steamed veggies for dinner. We decided to stay home and make just that . . . but ate it by candelight with some of our favorite music playing i the background.

Just because you are celebrating something does not mean you need to make it about food. Life has so many joys to offer without overdoing it in this area "just because that is what you have always done".

I cooked an amazing and healthy thanksgiving dinner as well, no stuffing, no pie, and had no complaints, only compliments on an excellent dinner.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    There's healthy stuffing out there...no need to skip the stuffing. Eliminating a tradition everyone likes (stuffing) could result in negative feedback behind your back. Don't assume people are okay with no stuffing and no pie.

Life is too short.

Seriously.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Here's my way of attacking the event...

1. schedule the meal earlier in the day. Instead of dinner out, do lunch or an early dinner.
    2. make healthier food selections. If not possible (rare), then reduce the serving size. I'll still have the meal but maybe 1/3 or at most 1/2 of it.
    3. do 2 high intensity cardios that day (1-am, 1-pm).
    4. or just enjoy the time for what it is and get back on it the next day. One even that are few and far in between will not undo everything you've worked for....unless you make it back into a habit.
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    I've worked pretty hard to lose this weight and one nice dinner isnt going to undo it all :)
    Just remember that weight loss is all about calories in vs. calories out. Enjoy yourself but use caution. Pass on the bread basket, and make sure to order a green salad to take the edge off your hunger before the entree arrives.
    Don't go out to dinner after starving all day or you will over indulge!
    Order clear broth soup instead of creamy chowders.
    Many restaurants have huge servings that can feed two people- sometimes my fiance and I will order one meal and split it. It's plenty.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member

I usually go with #3. One meal, or even one whole day of indulging isn't going to undo all your hard work. In fact, eating an excess of calories now and then (even once a week) keeps your body burning fat. It tells your body that even though you're eating at a caloric deficit most of the time you still have access to plenty of food, so your metabolism doesn't start slowing down.