Running Cramps

Options
Today at the gym I started getting a cramp in my side, very similar to the kind you were always warned about as a kid, "don't go swimming after you eat!". But I ate at least 2 hours before, and drank plenty of water. I always warm-up with a 3-minute walk before I run so I'm not sure where the cramps are coming from? Any idea how to curb these cramps? My first 5k is around the corner and I can't have this happen come race day! As always, thank you for the feedback!

Replies

• skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    I got a stitch in my side my first 5K...someone told me to slow down and take 3 very deep breaths and it will go away. It worked!! And I picked up my pace and was fine after that.

So maybe try that?
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Its hard but try to exhale when your right foot hits the ground.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Side stitches suck.
    Slow down and control your breathing.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you find that you become dizzy when you run, develop cramps or simply run out of steam quicker than you would like, your breathing technique may not be ideal. Military.com explains that using improper breathing techniques when you run can cause a build-up of lactic acid that decreases endurance. Following a 3:2 breathing ratio during your run can help put some more pep in your step. The 3:2 ratio is a pattern of breathing that requires you to inhale on three steps and exhale on two.

Step 1
    Inhale on the left-right-left foot pattern as you run. In other words, begin inhaling when your left foot hits the ground. Continue inhaling as your right foot hits the ground and as your left foot hits the ground again.

Step 2
    Exhale on the right-left foot pattern. So, run your first few steps (left, right, left) inhaling. As your right foot hits the ground again, exhale fully. Continue exhaling as your left foot hits the ground. Begin inhaling as your right foot hits the ground.

Step 3
    Continue inhaling as your left foot hits the ground and as you step on your right again. Exhale on the left, repeating the original breathing pattern (left, right, left).

Step 4
    Follow this breathing technique as you run. You may need to take it slow in the beginning, while you are familiarizing yourself with the technique. Begin with a slow jog and work your way up to a faster running pace.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/198872-proper-breathing-techniques-when-running/#ixzz1dL5i2u88
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i get these a lot, it doesn't have much to do with eating tho i dont think as i get them on an empty stomach

read about it here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch
  • jhnye85
    jhnye85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A stitch! Ha, who knew it had such a cute little name. Thanks for diagnosing and helpful tips on how to treat them!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I get an occasional mild side stitch when running - I find if I carry on it goes away and there are no after-effects. Good luck for your first 5K, you'll be fine!