Good Old Fashioned Weight Loss

Options
So I've lost about 30 lbs since the beginning of August. Friends/acquaintances keep asking me "how did you do it?" And I'm stunned at the number of people who are shocked when I tell them I am **exercising and watching what I eat**. I'm so proud of all my hard work and success that it's hard not to be offended when people assume I've used HCG or done some other shortcut.

Anyone else feel this way?

Replies

• judyw51
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!!,

Hi I am with ya!! I have dropped over 60 lbs since the first of the year and I did it the old fashioned way also. Exercise and portion control simple as that! Calories in Calories out. I even quit smoking and continued to lose weight so it can be done. I have never denied myself of any of the things I like. Moderation is the key.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    You should be really proud, I know I am of my sucess. People that know me know that I am not using a drug or "miricle diet". But everyone does assume that it is not from eating right and exercise.... SUPRISE... IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I am saddened that my extended family doesn't hold that belief. My aunt who is almost 60 had gastric bypass and I found out that my uncle and his partner are using HCG :cry:
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your weight loss and success!

I do feel the same way. Last year (after about 60 lbs of weight loss) a girl I hadn't seen in a long time asked when I had gastric bypass. I was highly offended. She assumed since my sis in law and father in law both had gastric that i had as well. It was my pleasure to inform her that NO, I had done this the old fashioned way AND was training to run a half marathon.

Keep up the great work!!!!
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Congratulations On A Healthy Journey!! Thank you for sharing your story!! That is the best way to lose weight :):)
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get those looks too when they say, "How'd you do it??" and I say, "I ate less!" then they say, "No Really, how'd you do it?" and I said, " really, I ate less..."
  • mjmcdon
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! Thats fantastic! It is amazing how so many people need diet pills, or some kind of pills or weight loss shakes and such to lose weight now. I believe its best to lose weight by watching what you eat and also exercising. Cuz then you can form a healthy lifestyle around it, as opposed to diet pills which could have many problems later on. Losing weight the healthy way, and the right way, is always best. It shows you care about yourself and your body as well as health. Its more likely to stick. :)
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    So I've lost about 30 lbs since the beginning of August. Friends/acquaintances keep asking me "how did you do it?" And I'm stunned at the number of people who are shocked when I tell them I am **exercising and watching what I eat**. I'm so proud of all my hard work and success that it's hard not to be offended when people assume I've used HCG or done some other shortcut.

Anyone else feel this way?

I totally understand what you're saying! I have lost a lot of weight during the summer months eating well and working out a lot; and friends that I haven't seen and see the difference ask me if I'm eating? It's kind of discouraging that people don't think one can do it the healthy route!
  • Vanilla30
    Options
    I think people just assume that because all of America is taking short cuts, everyone does. I'm still fairly new at MFP and because of tyroid issues, my weight is coming off so slow I get discouraged until I read things like this. I think the old fashioned way is the healthest way to go because its you doing it and you have to make sure your body gets all that it needs that inclused exercise. Anyway, keep up the good work and I'll keep working at it, its easy to give up and I just want to be and live a more healthy and active life..
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Good job!j I haven't had that yet cause I just started but hopefully some time in my future. Congrats on the loss!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like it when they act that way since I know it's because they are too lazy and/or undisiplined to do it and that makes me superior to them.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I used to play piano for a living, and people would come up to me at jobs, saying things like, "WOW!. You're good! I would give anything to play like that!"
    To which I would reply, "Cool, then go back 20 years, instead of playing baseball, go to lessons, or home to practice, and listen to your friends make fun of you for missing the fun. Walk around visualizing your fingers on the keyboard, and how you will make that tricky fingering change in a Chopin Waltz, knowing full well that you will be playing 'Proud Mary' or 'Joy to the World (Jeremiah was a Bullfrog)' to make a living."

OK, actually, if I was lucky enough to get a compliment like that, I would actually say, "Thanks man, it comes pretty easy and I practice some."
    So I guess when I'm lucky enough that people notice I'm losing, I say, "Diet and exercise. If you really want to know how, email me and I'll tell you exactly how."
    They seldom do.
  • missdune
    missdune Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Painfully easy, isn't it? :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    "Busting my butt and going to bed hungry" is definitely not what most people want to hear.
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I think people need to educate themselves on what exactly a "short-cut" is. Weight loss is less calories in, and more activity no matter what method you go with. It's alot of HARD work!

I don't care how people choose to lose weight because it's a personal choice, as long as it's benificial and helps you loose weight to live a longer, healther, happier life, and something you can stick to and live with for life.. Pills, Plain Diet + Excersize, Surgery. It's all about educating yourself and you and your doctor decide what is best for you and YOU alone, no matter what anyone else tells you or tries to influence you.