To Eat or Not To Eat

Options
I have always wondered if I should eat before I workout. Does anyone know?????

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Depends on how long since you last ate before the workout, and how you feel during the workout. Everybody is different, you just have to experiment a little to find what works best for you.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe it doesn't matter. I prefer to eat after my workouts because eating before makes me feel uncomfortable.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before I workout - otherwise I will throw up. I have to make sure I give myself ample time (usually 3 hours or more) between eating and working out.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have to eat something before I workout or my blood sugar gets way too low and I get shaky, sweaty and feel like passing out.

But everyone is different; when I was 10 years younger I used to work out at 5:30 a.m. on an empty stomach with no problem. Can't do that any more!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't really matter- from what I've read it doesn't really make you burn more or less calories to do one or the other. If you're going to do something really high intensity and haven't eaten in a while, it might not be a bad idea to eat something. When I work out in the mornings, I eat, hang around for an hour to let me food settle, then go work out. In the evenings, I usually work out right when I get home, then shower and eat dinner after. If I'm hungry before an evening workout, I may have a couple handfuls of nuts to get me through, but never more than that. I think it's more about personal preference.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If I am really low on energy I will eat a small piece of fruit about 45-60 minutes before working out. But if I eat too much or to close to when I work I feel sick to my stomach like the rest of these folks here.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I try and eat a banana 45 mins before I workout
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat before working out in the morning, even if it's only an orange. I start feeling sick if I don't eat before exercising. Others do it without eating though, it just depends on how your body reacts to it.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    eating protein within 1 hour after working out is good to help promote healing of the muscles,

carbs before a workout is good gives you energy to workout
  • mamasyd
    mamasyd Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    A lot may depend on when you are working out. If it's first thing in the morning, you should have some kind of protein source to fuel your workout after all night of nothing in your system. Otherwise, it's pretty much a personal preference.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    When I signed up for a personal training session sponsored by my work, the instructions I got said to "plan to arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment, dress for physical activity, and be sure to eat a meal or snack prior to your scheduled session."

that suggests to me that in SOMEONE's infinite wisdom, they recommend eating before working out.

Me personally, if I'm heading to the gym to work on the treadmill or stair climber, I can eat a normal breakfast (which is ~150-175 calories for me), but I certainly don't want to eat any more than that.

And there's NO way I can eat for at least two hours before I swim or else I'll be urping up chloriney-tasting "afterburn" from whatever I ate.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Sort of depends on your workout and you personally. But as a general rule, it's best to not eat for at least one hour before a workout. I generally have to have something so I will have a short protein shake about 30 minutes before. But to start lifting on a full stomach is not a good thing. I assume you're talking about lifting.
  • momofacacia
    Options
    i take cardio classes in the am. I eat a small 90 calorie granola bar about 45 before. Anything more than that and I'm uncomfortable. If I don't I'm too weak since I haven't eaten since the night before.
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I usually eat before and give it some time to settle. Like in the AM I'll have my english muffin or cereal or whatever first thing, then go feed the animals and check out MFP. So maybe 30-60 mins and then I'll workout. Any closer to myworkout I'd feel sick and uncomfortable, but if I didn't eat at all I'd feel dizzy and weak.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Usually eat before i go bc i go so late at night
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I always leave 3 hours for my food to settle before I workout. I feel like I work up more of an appetite if I eat after.

:smile:
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    eat before and after... You need the energy before (carbs) and the nutrients to recover after (protein)..... Just don't eat right before, make sure you are somewhat digested. Also, I wouldn't suggest a very large meal. Did that once and almost threw it back up:)
  • Usually eat before i go bc i go so late at night

Me too. I usually get my workouts in at night, after the kids have gone to bed. I don't like to eat AFTER I workout (unless necessary because of shakes or something like that) because I have this weird mentality that I've just wasted my time working out by piling all the calories back in that I just took out! Lol, does that make sense? Weird, I know. Plus, I don't like to eat right before going to bed.
  • thenewme5351
    Options
    I usually workout after work and getting the kids dinner n a half hour drive to the nearest gym. I have not been eating anything from the time I eat lunch till after my work out. Thanks for all your tips!!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what activity you are going to be doing, what the food is and how long in advance you will be eating. (and the indiviual, obviously)
    If I'm doing a light ish workout, say first thing in the morning, then no, I will eat breakfast right after. If I'm doing a hard workout, like training for swimming or netball, or a netball game, I need to eat first, but well in advance so I don't have it sitting in my stomach during the workout.

No magic time as far as I'm aware.