TV vs. Monitor?

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
I want to get a small-ish TV for my bedroom. Here's the thing, I don't have cable. I use an antennae, Hulu, Netflix, and the wonderful world wide web... Would I be better off getting an actual monitor and hooking my Laptop up to it?

I'm, clearly, not techie :)

Replies

• nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    They actually have TVs that can be used as monitors. My mother has one for her spare room because her computer has a TV tuner and she couldn't find a large enough reasonably priced one. I want to say it's a Samsung, but I can't remember.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    flat screens have an hdmi port. at least our's do so you can hook up your lap top to it anyways if you want to
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Does your laptop have a webcam?
  • jaxdiablo
    Options
    It's a lot cheaper, I'm not sure you'll be able to use the TV antenna unless you get a monitor specifically for it. A cheap 19" monitor could be gotten for probably around $100 if you can wait till black friday, or even less actually. Then you just need to get a cable to go from your laptop to your monitor ($5-$10). Should be easy.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Does your laptop have a webcam?

You betcha :blushing:
  • ChristopherOren
    Options
    Check out the ROKU box. It keeps me from hooking up a computer to every TV, plus it comes with a remote versus using a mouse with a laptop.

Get a small TV, it should be cheaper.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Check out the ROKU box. It keeps me from hooking up a computer to every TV, plus it comes with a remote versus using a mouse with a laptop.

Get a small TV, it should be cheaper.

I've been debating a Roku...
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    If you want small-ish TV (what's your idea of smallish) , why not just use the laptop.
    (I've always lived in small places so I had just upgraded from a 13" to a 20" TV when everything went digital. Anything bigger and have to go to the neighbors and watch thru the window.)

I always had over the air TV, when I moved last year they told me the building had a great antennae on the roof. I plugged in and got nothing. I use the TV for DVDs only... Don't have any budget for cable so I watch on the laptop via internet.
  • ChristopherOren
    Options
    Do the ROKU. They have a TON of free content. I nearly use that as much as I watch cable.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I was thinking more along the lines of 26"...

Thanks y'all :) I'll just get a TV like a normal person *LOL*