Gym or Y?

Options
I'm considering joining my local Y but I don't know what's the essential difference between Y and regular gym (never been a member of either). Any of you guys can share your experience or any general info?

Replies

• doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I belong to the Y and i love it. They have pools, group classes, cardio section and weights. The classes they offer are great and the people in general are very helpful. I'd recommend it. I left planet fitness to join and am very happy i did
  • curbnoise
    curbnoise Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Having been a member at both here in Chicago, I can only go by my own experience. The private gym had better/more equipment (hammer strength vs nautilus, more free weights etc...). From a cardio standpoint, the gym had all the same equipment treadmills, elliptical, recumbant and spin bikes, just more.

My Y is one of the smaller facilities in Chicago, but has very up-to-date equipment and has individual TV's on each of the cardio aparatus. In general, the gym was nicer, but was also more crowded, a little more preening went on and cost a heck of a lot more with minimum one year contracts.

The Y by contrast is very laid back, cheaper and has no contract. Another plus for the Y is that when I visit my family in Detroit, I can use the nearby Y free of charge. The larger chain gyms allow this too, but I don't think they have as many locations as the Y.

The final selling point for the Y for me is that many of the classes are free... I take a bootcamp class 3-4 days a week and will be starting up a spinning class soon. The gym I belonged to charged extra for each of the classes.

Ultimately, I think it is a matter of personal choice, convenience and what you are looking for.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could get a tour of each before joining
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Agreed, but leaning towards Y... The Y has soooo much. Classes, Basketball, tracks, pools, etc.... The thing you have to pay attention to is sometimes they have set times for open gym and stuff. Man I miss the Y lol.
  • polarcubby
    Options
    Great info. Thanks guys!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Not just a tour, but probably a trial membership of some sort. The gyms near me will give you a week to try it out for free.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    From my expeirence from living in different cities it just depends. YMCA's for the most part are locally controlled. Just like local gym managements...some are better than others.

The Y I belong to is less expensive than the next "Gym" competitor, has world class equipment and facilities including outdoor water park, and inside track. They offer a myriad of classes and organized sports. Including Marathon, and Tri-Athalon training. And they are still expanding the facility.

In other cities I've lived, the Y was just a hole in wall, and the local Golds Gym was the better value.

Like others have said. Take a tour of each, and weigh the pros and cons of both.

I still call them both "The Gym"