Exercise Routine - Need Help!

vintageprop
vintageprop Posts: 62 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone hope everyone is well! I was hoping to get some feedback as I am confusing myself about my exercise routine..
my body hasn't changed much recently and I need a plan. should I change it somehow? My goal is to lose a few more pounds and tone my lower body to make it leaner.

Monday through Friday I do 40 mins of full body toning pilates exercises. I used to do it every day but now its usually 2 or 3 times a week.
I just started doing a 45 mins cardio workout video (Crunch:Burn and Firm Pilates which also has squats and lunges)
I also have a 50 mins aerobic cardio video. (its the Walk at Home 5 mile walk and has squats and lunges which I can skip if I wanted) is it ok to do squats and lunges every day even though my legs are sore or should I do it every other day?
oh yeah and on the days I don't do my 40 mins pilates, I do a 20 min pilates video which only focuses on the legs.

Should I just alternate the cardio videos every day? I used to go on my bike for an hour almost everyday outside but I live in florida and the weather is unbearable now which is why I bought those videos and was hoping they are good enough alternatives.
I sit for the rest of the day and I feel that's enough rest for me so I don't need a whole day of doing nothing.

Saturday and Sunday---- I usually rest these days but I am planning to go to the community gym and use their bike and ellipitcal machine. maybe 30 mins each. Swimming possibly too.

Replies

• vintageprop
    Hi everyone hope everyone is well! I was hoping to get some feedback as I am confusing myself about my exercise routine..
    my body hasn't changed much recently and I need a plan. should I change it somehow? My goal is to lose a few more pounds and tone my lower body to make it leaner.

Monday through Friday I do 40 mins of full body toning pilates exercises. I used to do it every day but now its usually 2 or 3 times a week.
    I just started doing a 45 mins cardio workout video (Crunch:Burn and Firm Pilates which also has squats and lunges)
    I also have a 50 mins aerobic cardio video. (its the Walk at Home 5 mile walk and has squats and lunges which I can skip if I wanted) is it ok to do squats and lunges every day even though my legs are sore or should I do it every other day?
    oh yeah and on the days I don't do my 40 mins pilates, I do a 20 min pilates video which only focuses on the legs.

Should I just alternate the cardio videos every day? I used to go on my bike for an hour almost everyday outside but I live in florida and the weather is unbearable now which is why I bought those videos and was hoping they are good enough alternatives.
    I sit for the rest of the day and I feel that's enough rest for me so I don't need a whole day of doing nothing.

Saturday and Sunday---- I usually rest these days but I am planning to go to the community gym and use their bike and ellipitcal machine. maybe 30 mins each. Swimming possibly too.
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Have you considered weight training?
  • vintageprop
    I use hand weights sometimes but that's it. I'm not really interested in anything more than that really. maybe at a later time though.

and thanks for reading all that by the way, I realize it was a bit much..I think I'm analyzing everything too much lol
  • ElizaD
    ElizaD Posts: 27
    I have found that doing 30 minutes on the treadmill 4 to 5 times a week has really helped get the weight off and tone me up..

I don't run though, I power walk for 1 minute, then jog for 1 minute, then run for 1 minute and keep repeating this until the 30 minutes is up..

Sounds boring, but if you put on some really good music and focus on what you are going to look like in a few months time after all your hard work, it makes it easier. And believe me you will start to notice a difference even after a few weeks!

I also try and stick to around 1500 calories in the week and a few more at the weekends.

Good luck with your goal :smile:

Nancy
  • resistance exercises may help break down fat and increase tone :flowerforyou:
  • vintageprop
    thank you all for the helpful suggestions.
    I think I should eat more calories too, as I only eat 1200, that may be a problem but I'm not sure. I'll try and up the calories and see what happens.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I concur with the comments on strength training- it will tone and tighten you up and you'll burn more calories while you are sitting.....

now about that sitting..... while you say you don't need rest, your body can only repair muscle fibers at a given rate. although you feel like you are resting because you are sitting the rest of the day, you aren't giving your muscle fibers the time they need to finish repairing themselves. so if you have a vigorous workout, or especially if you are running, you must take that day of rest afterwards. your benefits will be greater if you are not constantly working with overtaxed muscles.

Believe me!!!
This discussion has been closed.