Do you replace it ALL?

Options
Do you eat all the calories you earn? Do you eat part of what you burn, or none of it? I'm a runner and this confuses me, I can maintain my weight but I want/need to loose! And I know if you don't eat enough you go into starvation, so just how much of the burned cals you eat back?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    it depends on how hungry i am. lately ive been pre-logging my exercise with approximate calories and eating a bit more throughout the day.. sometimes i net 1200, sometimes i eat all my exercise calories back.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat it ALL.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i used to eat half, but that stopped working for me so now i eat them all
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing I almost never ate back any of my exercise calories, unless I was extra hungry. Now that Im about done losing, I eat back about 1/2 of them.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat it ALL.

This.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    MFP has set my calories at 1200 and I make sure I eat at least that amount. Some days I'll eat all my exercise calories back, but some days, like yesterday, I had over 1200 cals in exercise alone so I think I ended up eating a third of them. So in total I ate something like 1500 cals. It really depends on how I feel and what I fancy eating on the day.
    Basically MFP builds in a deficit, so if you eat what they tell you, including the exercise calories, you should lose weight, as long as you're not cheating of course! Lol!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yes, ALL. Food is fuel. You already have a deficit made by mfp if you had set your calorie goals. Never hurts to just try it.
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i try and eat all my calories including the calories i get from exercise:-)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I don't track calories burned.
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There's a search function in this forum. This topic has been beat to death... It's almost as bad as searching for a food in the database and finding 15 of the same item with one or two variations on spelling.
  • deabora
    deabora Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist set my caloric intake to 1600. She said to average a net of 1600. So if I work out I can eat those calories. I do better if I eat most of them. I am not starving the next day and I dont binge.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    No, I have only been dipping into the first couple of hundred, of mine. I have a lot to lose though and am super-fat, plus I burn off a lot of cals every day.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I generally eat most if not all of them back. If I'm not hungry I may not, but if I am I for sure do. Keep in mind net calories are important. If you net calories are still coming in at the calorie goal mfp gives you, you should still lose. For example

Calorie goal is 1300.

1300 eaten, no exercise = net calories of 1300
    1500 eaten, 200 burned - still equals 1300 net. The deficit mfp has given you still exists.

As long as you stick under your net cal, you should still be in the weight loss zone. Too low of a net calorie goal can actually prevent you from losing weight too.