What is the perfect home gym?

Options
I know this is going to get me in trouble.

Fun to see your comments however, would you use this if it was the home gym you had?

Heavy Bag with all the kit, skipping rope, walking tread mill, elliptical trainer, Bowflex revolution with all the options, a large screen TV with WII and that’s it.

So… here is the question? Would you use it? or would you go to a gym?

Let me know your thoughts!

Replies

• SeanIsMyHomeboy
    SeanIsMyHomeboy Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Everything Ivan Drago uses in Rocky IV.
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to get me in trouble.

Fun to see your comments however, would you use this if it was the home gym you had?

Heavy Bag with all the kit, skipping rope, walking tread mill, elliptical trainer, Bowflex revolution with all the options, a large screen TV with WII and that’s it.

So… here is the question? Would you use it? or would you go to a gym?

Let me know your thoughts!

i would definately use all that as i have a gym membership at the moment and would save $20 a week if i had a home gym:-)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    If you added a squat rack and free weights, then I'd probably use it vs the gym. But I admit, I like the people aspect of the gym (even if it's just the family Y). Alot of the cardio I'd do is pretty individual so at home would be no problem. I'd also prefer to hit a heavy bag and speed bag alone. Some get this attitude that you must be some "fighter" if you are using these things.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm limited to the types of exercise I can do due to a past car accident...However, I do have an elliptical and hand weights at home and use those for my workout...Can't afford membership at a gym, anyway.... :flowerforyou:
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    yes and no.....I like the luxury of gettin up and exercising and showering in my own home (ps I live 20 miles from the gym)--but if I go to the gym then I will work out the entire time I am there...if home I sometimes stop to answer the door, the phone, check the dryer ....and....and....and you get the idea...
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    None of those, my perfect home gym is a square of carpet just the right size, various hand weights and the amazing DVD's by Jillian Michaels and Tony Horton. I need nothing else. I am content. Lol!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I would need a barbell with weights and a squat/power rack
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    My gym:

rower, TM and elliptical
    Olympic bar, 2 x 25lb plates, 2 x 10 lb plates, 2 x 5 lb plates
    1 x 16 kg kettlebell
    2 med balls (8lb, 12lb)
    1 set 10 lb dumbbells
    1 set 15 lb dumbbells
    1 close grip bench
    1 75lb punching bag
    Skipping rope (speedrope)
    Pull up Bar with bands

Bose iPod dock

I'd like to set up a DVD/Flatscreen... Later though.

I'd absolutely use the gym you described, but would add free weights
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Sort of depends on how large your home is. I love to workout at home. I have one room with weights and workout equipment. Used to have a basement that was a gym. If you're married, a lot depends on the wants of your SO. If you're single, it's just what you want. But you've got a lot of big stuff. It kind of sounds like you'd like to go to the gym. If so, it's probably the best thing.

To me, the perfect home gym is well lighted with lots of room and all the equipment I need handy. And, the music box close by, etc. But right now I'm sort of workout out wherever.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Right now I have: INSANITY, P90X, Resistance Bands, Yoga Mat, and Pull Up Bar.... Would love to add Dumbells and maybe a Barbell/weights.
  • mssweetjay
    Options
    YES YES YES
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I'd need a few cute gym bunnies to come over. I mean we are talking the PERFECT home gym right?
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    i excercise from home and dont need any equipment. i jog in place, dance, sit-ups and various variations, do outside work--like firewood, gardening/forrest clearing, mowing, etc, butt kicks, jump rope without a rope, jumping jacks, and any number of other activities that dont require a single piece of equipment. if i want to lift weights i can go as light as canned food, or empty milk jugs full of water (various amounts=different weights). and so forth.
  • sadlazarus
    Options
    50kg of iron, one 6 foot 10kg bar and 2 dumbbells and one bench is all I've got. For everything else, there's running shoes, The Darkness and unlimited road.

Don't need no fancy machines in a room full of lycra-clad poseurs at exorbitant prices.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome, except I would have to have a squat rack and free weights.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I gave up the gym almost a year ago. I have weights (5, 8 & 10lbs), I have a jump rope, yoga mat, resistance bands. I also invested in a elliptical and treadmill. There are so many things you can do at home. My step purchase will be a stationary bike.
  • ct2020
    ct2020 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've got a bunch of Beachbody programs, a yoga mat, jump rope, resistance bands, dumbbells (5lb-20lb) and a pull up bar. That's really all I need. Aside from more weights. And a stationary Bike would be awesome but I don't have the room.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Eh...If I had that setup, I'd use it.

I already work out at home with free weights and my power rack.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Lets see My Gym has:
    Olympic weight set to 300 pounds
    Dumbells 3pounds - 30 pounds
    Jump rope
    yoga mat
    large screen tv and about 30 fitness DVDs
    Stair climber
    Spin bike
    Medicine balls in 6,8,10 and 12 pounds
    Kickboxing bag
    weighted vest 12 and 25

I do most of my workouts at the high school(But I do take some gear with me) and on my commute to work. Only use my home gym about once a week.