what is your feeling on.....

Options
multi vitamins? I started taking a generic version of Women's One a Day. Does a multi vitamin really help that much? I appreciate anyone's thoughts and comments about this as I have never taken any vitamins before now.

Replies

• mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    multi vitamins? I started taking a generic version of Women's One a Day. Does a multi vitamin really help that much? I appreciate anyone's thoughts and comments about this as I have never taken any vitamins before now.
  • buffjess
    buffjess Posts: 382
    Options
    OMG i started taking womans one a day energy about a month ago..Before i started taking it i was tired ALL the time and could barely get out of bed in the mornings..But since i started taking it I have tons of energy feel better and get up at 6 without hesitation! I HIGHLY recommend it
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I have take some form of a multi-vitamin for several years now. I've heard that if you eat a well balanced diet that it is unnecessary... I just like to cover my bases...I feel like it couldn't hurt. But I do my best to eat from all of the food groups and get all of my fruits and veggies.
  • Chuffmn
    Chuffmn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    OMG i started taking woman's one a day energy about a month ago..Before i started taking it i was tired ALL the time and could barely get out of bed in the mornings..But since i started taking it I have tons of energy feel better and get up at 6 without hesitation! I HIGHLY recommend it

I had the same experience w/ one a day energy; love it! I do not believe that you can really eat all the necessary vitamins and nutrients your body needs every single day so am a strong believer that a multi vitamin is necessary. I also had read the labels of the generic brand my local grocery caries and they have all the same level of vitamins in them as the One a Day brand for around $5 less.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I take woman's one a day and i love it!!! It gives me so much energy and i need that!!!! It doesn't make me sick like other vitamins have in the past!!! I get mine at walmart and they are pretty cheap for what the benefits are!
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    My personal belief on this subject is that if you are already eating a healthy and balanced diet, you get plenty of nutrients from that. Most of the vitamins and minerals in daily total vitamins can't even be absorbed properly by the body.
    (As far as the theory of 'it couldn't hurt" I actually believe that it can hurt. For example: most vitamins have way too much vitamin A and it can cause damage to the liver...especially if you already get Vitamin A in your daily diet.)

Flax and fish oil are the only supplements I, personally, would take.
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My personal belief on this subject is that if you are already eating a healthy and balanced diet, you get plenty of nutrients from that. Most of the vitamins and minerals in daily total vitamins can't even be absorbed properly by the body.
    (As far as the theory of 'it couldn't hurt" I actually believe that it can hurt. For example: most vitamins have way too much vitamin A and it can cause damage to the liver...especially if you already get Vitamin A in your daily diet.)

Flax and fish oil are the only supplements I, personally, would take.

Interesting.......what are the benefits of these two?
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I don't take the multi everyday but I do take calcium with D everyday. I don't really notice a difference when I do take the multi everyday except the color of my urine :wink: BUT like previously stated a multi everyday isn't going to hurt you since you will most likely expell all the extra vitamins your body doesn't need.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Interesting.......what are the benefits of these two?

Flax oil and fish oil have similar benefits (I would only take one or the other) and they give you a boost of healthy Omega 3-6-9 fatty acids. In my opinion flax oil is the better of the two because it gives you more Omega 3 than fish oil as well as potassium, vitamin B, protein, and fiber (also some vegetarian refuse to take fish oil).

Flax oil supposedly has a plethora of benefits including: reducing cholesterol, reducing triglycerides, improving heart health, aiding weight loss (by stimulating brown fat cells), improving liver function, and even relieve some allergies...
    BUT like previously stated a multi everyday isn't going to hurt you since you will most likely expell all the extra vitamins your body doesn't need.

While it is true that your body will expel the extra vitamins, certain vitamins must be metabolized by the liver (such as Vitamin A & D). The health of my liver is my biggest concern when it comes to daily multi-vitamins. Vitamin A can be very toxic to the liver in large doses (and some multi-vitamins do have enough vitamin A for that to be a problem, especially when taken daily). When you consider all the abuse the average persons liver takes through prescription medications, acetaminophen, and alcohol, I just don't feel it's safe to add another hazard.

Once again, these are my own beliefs on this subject (based on facts, but often the same facts can lead different people to different conclusions).
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin because I don't eat meat, so I have a difficult time getting all the iron, zinc and B vitamins my body needs.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    cant hurt
    if ya got em
    take em
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I take a multi specifically for vegetarians.
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    I couldn't grow my nails for anything after I removed my pink and white nails I had for years... I'm saving at least 50.00 a month from not having them and I started taking Trader Joes Womens Health formula and all I can say is WOW ! My nails are awesome and my skin great and energy galore !!!

For me, they are a keeper :)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    When you're on a calorie deficit, it's hard to OD with a multivitamin enough to cause damage to an organ.