Any Native Americans on MFP?

Options
My name is Mel. I am Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe out of Wisconsin and my husband and children are also St. Croix Ojibwe from Wisconsin. Is there any other MFP'rs with Native American heritage? Would love to meet some!

Replies

• greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi nice to meet another Native! I am Cherokee & live on the Cherokee Indian Reservation in Cherokee, NC. :laugh: I feel like I'm repeating Cherokee too much! Nice to meet you!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm only 1/4 Cherokee. My mom and grandma grew up on a Cherokee reservation in Colorado.
  • nathalie24
    nathalie24 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hey! My dad's family is Cherokee. The Keetoowah Band in Oklahoma. I live in Virginia though. lol
  • nitashagarcia
    Options
    hi! im native american...im from warwick, rhode island...im narragansett indian. my first name nitasha means "i have" in alquonian [spelling?] language...if you google "king philip's war" my tribe was apart of the war and we have the first veteran's memorial in cumberland rhode island which happened march 1676? i have pictures of the monument...the woods are haunted where it is located...im 1/4 narragansett indian and then 3/4 dominican :)
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My name is Diane and I am originally from Seminole, OK and am from the Seminole Tribe as well as the Absentee Shawnee and Kickapoo tribes. I still live in Oklahoma.
  • fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    Options
    Interesting! My name in Ojibwe is Niiganigabowekwe--means "first standing woman" or lead woman.
  • nitashagarcia
    Options
    Interesting! My name in Ojibwe is Niiganigabowekwe--means "first standing woman" or lead woman.

that's interesting too! glad to know there are more native american's out there! my tribe began in rhode island LOL :D
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    You already have me, (the smidgen Choctaw) LoL
  • fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    Options
    Awesome to meet all of you! I had another friend on here...her name was georgette ...she was from canada...I miss her.... :(
  • mznicoleg
    mznicoleg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    my name is nicole, always looking to meet natives in the same situation, i am from the standing rock sioux tribe
  • shaunagirl
    shaunagirl Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm Shauna, I am Sioux. I'm only an eighth but it still counts. Lol
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im cherokee, cant exactly remember my %, but its enough for a blood card. My entire family on my dads side lives in ok. Born in Shawnee,OK. My heritage is from the Carolinas, if im not mistakin.
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I am a member of the Turtle Mountain Chippewa from North Dakota but was born and raised in Michigan. My dad was born on the reservation in ND but moved to the Detroit area for the auto jobs back around WW2.

We are Metis, the mixed bloods of the NW Trading Co and The Hudson Bay Co. So I'm am 1/2 Metis but my card says 1/4 Native Blood. Most of our Metis tribe is in the Winnipeg area but my Dad's family were just below the border when the border was made. Sad to have our tribal family split although I hear they are having cross border reunions now.

My mom was Irish/English so I am a true American Heinz 57 but my heart lies with my native roots. Dad raised us to be proud and confident and independent.

Nice to meet you all!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    1/4 Cherokee (registered). Grandma was full blood Cherokee out of Oklahoma, and grandad was rumored to be half Shawnee (can't confirm that). Regardless, I've always considered myself Native. :-D
  • creasonr
    Options
    My Cherokee heritage has been traced to Sequoyah on my father's side. Not traced on my mother's side but my Grandmother had enough Cherokee that she did not have to shave her legs. I have lived with the Sioux on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota when I was a child.
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    my name is nicole, always looking to meet natives in the same situation, i am from the standing rock sioux tribe

My boyfriend is from standing rock too. He's on here as well. Grew up on the reservation in Fort Yates.
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    My family is part of the Pechanga band of Luiseno Indians out of Southern California. My Great Aunt lived on the reservation and recently passed. On my fathers side I have Comanche, but probably very little. My sister looks native American...I got all the German and Dutch....
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My husband has a bit of Cherokee on his mom's side but his family never got on the roles so he can't claim it officially. His Great-Father was a Texas Ranger and it was dangerous to admit any Native Blood at that time.
  • steamingcoffee
    steamingcoffee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    hey, I am so glad I found this post cuz I was hoping to find some other natives on here! I'm lakota and mayan and I live in wisconsin too! (far away from home haha)
  • BuffLoveWinning
    BuffLoveWinning Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm half onedia on my mothers side, registered six nations band member (Canada) but have been raised mostly off the reserve in buffalo, ny. I love my heritage and am very proud to be native. My fathers Italian German French and probably something else. I love it all.