Is it better to exercise for one hour a day or half an hour

Options
I'm trying to decide if I should exercise for a whole hour in the afternoon or spread it out to two half-hour work out sessions in a day. What do you think is better?

Replies

• jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been told that an hour would be better just because the longer you work out, the more your heart rate increases naturally, so you'll get more time at the higher heart rate than splitting it into 2 halves.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i say whatever you feel comfortable doing
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters, to be honest. I would just do whatever works for you that you can keep doing.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters, to be honest. I would just do whatever works for you that you can keep doing.

This. :)
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I could argue both points, 2 workouts would kick your body into gear twice rather then once. But a hour work out keeps you going longer, and build stamina. I think you need to figure out what works best for you.
  • geogal95
    geogal95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters-but the longer you stay in your target heart rate zone the better you will do at burning calories. But hey ANY exercise is good exercise!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you!
    I try to do 20 min in the morning before work then at least half an hour in the afternoon - it's usually an hour though.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    I've been told that an hour would be better just because the longer you work out, the more your heart rate increases naturally, so you'll get more time at the higher heart rate than splitting it into 2 halves.

i have heard the same thing...but sometimes my knees or back just cant hold out for an hour but I can do 2 30 minute sessions...so I guess what ever you are comfortable with and can realistically fit into your schedule...I have friends who can get a 30 minute work out in the am and 30 min in the evening and do just great...best wishes
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I would say one hour simply because I wouldn't want to have to take 2 showers.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I was pretty out of shape when I started so I did multiple small workouts. Now I vary, sometimes 30, 45 or longer. Depends on what I am doing too. Listen to your body, pushing too hard could result in injury and inability to workout.
  • reachingthin
    Options

That's what I was thinking. The cons of this would be that I would probably get worn out a lot faster and therefore not do as well throughout my workout as I would like to. But then a pro would definitely be doing it all in that hour, getting pumped, and getting it out of the way! :P

But then 30 minute work out pros would be that the workouts would probably be more vigorous and it would be a lot more convenient with my school schedule. The cons, however, being that it might be a bit harder to get motivated to do it twice a day, being a bit less pumped, andd taking two showers :P
  • pjholcomb
    pjholcomb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist at my oncologists office told me that an hour a day, whether all at once or split into two half hours or into 15 minute workouts, is still an hour. The point is to do it and get it done ... whatever works best for you.

Pam (aka ihateexercise)
  • BReit1
    BReit1 Posts: 28
    Options
    I read a study a while back that stated it doesn't matter whether you work out for x amount of time, or x amount of time split into separate sessions. The majority here seems to advise you do what works best for you, I would agree with that because either way, you have to be comfortable doing it, so you WILL do it. :)
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    I would say one hour simply because I wouldn't want to have to take 2 showers.

haha i totally agree!!
    and yes, do what works best for you.