Healthy version of brocolli and cheese soup?

WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,046 Member
I love this kind of soup, but don't wanna have a can with a huge amount of sodium to it. Any tips is always welcomed!

Replies

• nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    im not sure where you are but in the uk you can get a low salt stock called bouillion its really good its vegan and super tasty. if you arent from the uk try to make your own stock and emit the salt add pepper garlic onions mixed herbs etc.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Not sure if this is the kind of thing you are looking for but I made this broccoli, zucchini and blue cheese soup recently and it was very yummy. Came out at 220 cals per serve of the soup and 450 if served with the sage scones.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22799/broccoli+zucchini+and+blue+cheese+soup

Edited to add - the recipe says you can use goats cheese instead of blue if you prefer.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    I've been making a lot of fresh veggie soups - tomato, spinach, squash. I send my veggies through the blender with some chicken stock/broth then put back in a pan with some no-sugar added almond milk, some onion which has been sauteed in a tiny pat of butter and some seasonings. When done, I sprinkle with some shredded cheese. Very yummy and easy and healthy.
  • Almiel
    Almiel Posts: 61 Member
    Did you see this one? Omit the salt if necessary. It's also lower fat than traditional.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/361383-cheddar-cheese-and-broccoli-soup
  • I made this recipe a few weeks ago and it was fantasic!! I didnt have as much plain frozen broccoli that was needed so i used a packet of green giants broccoli in cheesy sauce and cut the amount of sharp cheddar in half and it worked great. The beans really make it creamy without any actual cream
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/broccoli_cannellini_bean_cheddar_soup.html

Ingredients
    1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
    1 cup water
    1 pound broccoli crowns, trimmed and chopped (about 6 cups)
    1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed (see Tip)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
    1.Bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add broccoli, cover and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in beans, salt and pepper and cook until the beans are heated through, about 1 minute.
    2.Transfer half the mixture to a blender with half the cheese and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining broccoli mixture and cheese. Serve warm.
    Tips & Notes
    Tip: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (These recipes are analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.
    NutritionPer serving: 152 calories; 7 g fat ( 4 g sat , 0 g mono ); 20 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 6 g fiber; 558 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.