Talk to me about carbs

Options
I really want to hear what people have to say about carbs.
What do you try to keep it at? Do you go over?
Do you pay any attention?

Replies

• jvan1957
    jvan1957 Posts: 114
    Options
    Having been a severe diabetic for years I have been very pleased with my blood sugar levels by limiting my carbs to MFP setting
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am not a carb-o-phobe whatsoever. I don't limit them according to low carb diets. I may appear to have less than others because I am trying to up my protein per my goals, but I don't think around 120g per day is low.

I eat whole wheat pasta, brown rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fruits, veggies, etc. and I have them everyday. I am not some bloated blob with high blood sugar and overfat. In fact, I've lost 2% body fat so far since the week before Halloween.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I use very low carb when I'm feeling especially bloated or am hungry all the time. Once I get past a certain point, I can eat a little more, as long as the cravings don't come back. I recommend restricting carbs, especially sugars and refined flours. :)
  • WifenMom
    Options
    Hey there!
    Carbs ARE A culprit for weight loss.
    I'm on a food plan called Diet Free Life. I absolutely love it - you can eat what you want w/ certain guidelines.
    On thing on the plan that's important - you CAN eat a carb - it's a FAST carb - that's your breads/rices/pasta's.
    You should also combine with your FAST carb a SLOW carb (vegetables, beans) and a lean protein.
    That's for your meals.

Then at snack time - you can have whatever you like (yes carbs included ;-) so long as you stay at 200 calories or under.

I eat every 2-3 hours.
    I lost 33lbs when I first started the program a year ago.

My plan will also tell you if you are wanting to lose weight quicker - to have just one carb with one meal thru the day.
    So basically I will have breakfast with just a protein and slow carbs - Lunch with a protein, fast carb and a slow carb - then dinner with a protein and a slow carb.
    Once again - snacks can be anything. If you stay under 200 calories it's not enough carbs to flood your body and do all the bad things that lots of carbs can do. Hope all that made sense!

So carbs are good, and bad ...and yes, you should pay attention ;-)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I average about 150-180 a day.

I find that a lot of my "empty" calories are carbs--particularly breads, rice, and pasta. . .. So I try to limit them, but don't go for ketosis-low levels.
  • SIGP229
    Options
    Hey there!
    Carbs ARE A culprit for weight loss.
    I'm on a food plan called Diet Free Life. I absolutely love it - you can eat what you want w/ certain guidelines.
    On thing on the plan that's important - you CAN eat a carb - it's a FAST carb - that's your breads/rices/pasta's.
    You should also combine with your FAST carb a SLOW carb (vegetables, beans) and a lean protein.
    That's for your meals.

Then at snack time - you can have whatever you like (yes carbs included ;-) so long as you stay at 200 calories or under.

I eat every 2-3 hours.
    I lost 33lbs when I first started the program a year ago.

My plan will also tell you if you are wanting to lose weight quicker - to have just one carb with one meal thru the day.
    So basically I will have breakfast with just a protein and slow carbs - Lunch with a protein, fast carb and a slow carb - then dinner with a protein and a slow carb.
    Once again - snacks can be anything. If you stay under 200 calories it's not enough carbs to flood your body and do all the bad things that lots of carbs can do. Hope all that made sense!

So carbs are good, and bad ...and yes, you should pay attention ;-)

Calorie counting for dummies.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I get around 180 to 240g carbs on average. It's a large window to hit since I really just focus on pro/fat and these are set as minimums. I'll almost always go over on protein.

I've only run into problems a few times in going too low on carbs, had one or two awful lifting days the following day, so I try to at least get into the 200s when possible.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I heart them. About 30-40% of my calories come from carbs.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    if I go under 50% or so for more than few days I get gassed really easy when I'm kickboxing.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Love carbs, can't live without them and I have no interest in reducing them. I get 150- grams (Higher on workout days). Like Sidesteal, I try to make sure my protein and fat is high...the rest are carbs
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with carbs and the only time you should be worried about "going over" in your carbs is if it is causing you to be deficient in your fat and protein intake
  • cassbam
    Options
    I love carbs...i love bread, i love potatoes (especially roasted), i love sticky buns.....
    but they dont love me.
    While i was pregnant i had gestational diabetes, so had to cut carbs WAY down. After having my second son, i was given the all clear for diabetes - yay.
    I stuck to the same diet after in an attempt to lose the weight i gained while i was pregnant, didn't work so went to a nutritionalist - a professional.
    He gave me a few better guidelines for eating carbs especially. 2 serves per meal, 3 meals a day. 1 serve of carbs is 12 - 15 grams of carbohydrate in food.
    ie 2 pieces of bread = 2 serves, 1 bread roll = 1 serve, 1 medium potato = 1 serve.
    I have lost almost 10kg with this - YAY again.

Just lately i have hit a wall tho....not losing weight, but am losing centimetres. One of the trainers at the gym gave me a challenge, to give up my starchy carbs for a week. Best way thru this week at the moment, feeling good but still not seeing anything shift on the scales...then again it has only been a week....

So, subbing the carbs....internet searched for the carb content in vegetables & fruit....printed it out & been using that as my guide.
    I am eating more so that i can get the energy that i need from carbs....not bad for a girl that is not keen on green food...

Good luck :)
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    Personally I limit refined and processed carbs and aim to obtain all my carbs from vegetables and fruit. Since bread, pasta, especially the white variety tend to be essentially just cheap sources of calories I find my diet is far more nutrient dense if I consume my calories from other sources. I hover between 50 - 100 g a day most of the time. I've occasionally experimented with lower.

If you're not a data junkie and don't want to be obsessive about tracking, just stick to obtaining carbs from vegetables and some fruit, if you must have bread then stick to the whole grain variety. If you do this you'll probably find your carbs are naturally under control.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I usually go over my carb or protein macro goals.. I could do better, but I'm doing better than I used to!