How are you planning on Surviving Thanksgiving dinner?

Options
Hi all,

I am going strong and am wondering if I should skip Thanksgiving dinner to stay on track, or splurge since its a holiday. If you having any suggestions on how YOU plan on surviving Thanksgiving dinner I would love to hear them!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Day before Thanksgiving...logging/exercising/eating normally
    Thanksgiving...no logging/exercising/enjoying the food in moderation
    Day after Thanksgiving...back to normal!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Running with my younger brother in the morning, then cooking all day with my family (I'm making my falafel loaf! It's super healthy), then eating like I do any other day. Celiac prevents me from being able to consume any of the stuff that would make me lose control on Thanksgiving, like pumpkin pie or gravy, so I'm not too worried about going over in cals.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    my plans too
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    game hens instead of a whole big turkey....some taters, asparagus....maybe bread. if it fits in my macros........mmmmmmm nummy. but i wont go outside my plan :)
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    just eat very cleanly and exercise beforehand and enjoy yourself at thanksgiving dinner! make healthy choices obviously but theres no need to worry about calories and try to track all of it and deprive yourself of a family holiday just for a diet. just make sure that leading up to it you do very well and get back on track the day after. it also helps you feel more comfortable letting go if you can get in a good workout that morning...good luck!!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    We have a 5K in the morning and then I am cooking.
    We are going to try to make it decent and enjoy the time together.

Needs good food to gear up for Black Friday!
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    plan on a 2 hour workout pre dinner, following dinner I am going to walk for a hour and I am eating good!!!
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think a little splurge is fine, but it's hard for people to stop sometimes. I'm planning to take all my own sides and a dessert -- all low carb and sugar free. That way, I will have treats, so I don't have to listen to everyone make comments about what I'm eating. I have a delicious collard green recipe I got from Blaine Jelus (sp?) on FitTV a few years back. Also, there are TONS of sugar free cheesecake recipes to choose from. The hardest part will be deciding which one. I can eat turkey no problem and I'll probably have a tablespoon or two of stuffing or rice to round out the meal. Good luck everyone! Be the boss of your food choices. You won't regret it!
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and a beer!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    splurge
  • jhajnal
    Options
    We make A LOT of different foods on Thanksgiving and luckily most are steamed veggies. I plan on taking only one slice of turkey, one slice of ham, and filling up the rest of my plate with all the healthy veggies. For things like the sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes, I only take ONE spoonful. That way you feel like you got to eat everything without depriving yourself. You are full but don't feel guilty and you are not OVER stuffed! Happy Thanksgiving all!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm going to work out extra hard leading up to it, and after... But I'm going to eat as a please (& log it, though it'll be guesstimates).
    I eat whatever once a week or so, it's gone well for me. I'm not willing to skip things in life like Thanksgiving dinner, a few Christmas cookes, etc. I find that my body is pretty healthy even if I don't go totally perfect, so I enjoy that.
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Going on a long weekend trip for the holiday, so I made reservations at a restaurant for the Thanksgiving fare. At least we won't have to worry about leftovers. Hoping to work out at the fitness center in the hotel during our stay. I plan to taste all of the Thanksgiving goodies - at least a taste and then back on track afterward. Don't want to deny myself and then go off track afterward.
  • etcstreit
    etcstreit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a Thanksgiving Day 5K in the AM & my family is doing the fun run. I plan to track what I eat - enjoy in moderation vs. stuffing myself.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, a little plainish stuffing with lots of peppers, onions, mushrooms and no bacon or sausage this year. Its just hubby and me this year, so I'm going very simple. A small, like the individual 4" foil pans, apple pie to split, so we each get a piece, but no leftovers. I'm making small quantities of everything except the turkey. We can make some healthy meals from the leftovers.

Right back to healthy eating the next day!
  • dzelinka
    dzelinka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you can, get in some exercise in the morning. Make sure there's a healthy vegetable or side at dinner and eat only white meat turkey. Go ahead and have those other items you love, but keep the portion small! If you must have pie, pumpkin is your best best. Make the pie with light condensed milk for an even healthier choice. It tastes the same as the full fat version. Good luck!
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Planning on healthy recipes and exercise :)
  • ReginaB13
    ReginaB13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know it's probably taboo, but I'm doing whatever I want on Thanksgiving. I like to think I will make better choices than I have in the past, but, if I feel like stuffing myself, I'll plan for it in the days before and after, and allow it. I know there are different ways to view the day, but my family has always focused on the food component and different recipes being brought by different people. I MAY watch portions, I may not. I MAY stuff myself with veggies first, I may not. I MAY go on a walk before or after dinner, I may not. I am making no promises other than that I will NOT succumb to leftovers and that I will work out hard in the days before and eat right and that I will get right back on track the next day as if nothing ever happened. If I do better, and make healthy choices--YAY GO ME! If not, I wont feel guilty or like a failure, I'll just view it as a special splurge. I can't give up those foods I value on certain days, like holidays, that happen only a few times a year. :) More power to those planning to be super good, but I don't see it as feasible knowing myself and the way my family celebrates :) I WILL, however, be bringing healthy recipes that I love along with me!
    Best of luck to everyone!!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

This is my plan too. My siblings are flying in, so I'm hoping with the extra company..food won't be so much on my mind.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I scheduled a wisdom tooth extraction for the day before Thanksgiving. True story.