A different kind of Success Story but one I'm sure touches m

Options
Just wanted to share with you all that November 17 is the first ever World Prematurity Day!!! I will be celebrating with my family. My son Matthew Blake Heyman Jr. was born at 32 weeks, weighing a whopping 4 lbs 3oz and spent 4 weeks in the NICU. That was the most scariest time of my life, that contributed to my weight gain as well as smoking a pack a day, but seeing him now at 21 months old and just a little over 20lbs you would have never known. He is so smart and the only thing he has left from being a preemie is that he is smaller than his peers so people think he is barely 1 as opposed to being almost 2. I love my family so very much. For more info you can visit marchofdimes.com or if you are on Facebook look up World Prematurity Day!!

Replies

• lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I am also the mom of a premature baby. My son Clark was born at 27 weeks weighing 1 pound 15 punces and 14 inches long...he was tiny! He was at Children's Hospital for 4 months..his biggest challenge was learning how to eat. He is now 2 1/2 and is doing great! Except that is is very small also, barely weighs 25 pounds! There is no stress like having a child in the NICU and mine was 2 hours away and i had two children at home....talk about packing on the pounds...now i'm doing something so i can be around for all my children for a long time!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My baby wasn't premature (she was 2 days past her later due date) but was in the NICU for 6 days after birth due to (sp?) jaundice. Mine is little too but I think she's just petitie.

So glad all of your babies are happy and healthy!!! Praise God for doctors who have the knowledge and the skill to help our littlest miracles!!!
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    And the nurses...i dont know what i would have done without them...they are in my heart forever!
  • Malani2010
    Options
    And the nurses...i dont know what i would have done without them...they are in my heart forever!

Oh I so agree!!! I don't know what I would have done without mine either. She would take pics at night and text them to me because she knew I was worried!!
  • Malani2010
    Options
    My baby wasn't premature (she was 2 days past her later due date) but was in the NICU for 6 days after birth due to (sp?) jaundice. Mine is little too but I think she's just petitie.

So glad all of your babies are happy and healthy!!! Praise God for doctors who have the knowledge and the skill to help our littlest miracles!!!

Jaundice can be life threatening too. So glad yours is doing well also!!
  • elvisneedsboats
    elvisneedsboats Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was premature, only 3 lbs 7 oz. I spent the first 5 weeks of my life in an incubator, with no one but medical staff allowed to touch me. As it turned out, I was TINY but healthy, other than a bit of jaundice. They kept me isolated until I was 5 lbs and allowed to leave the hospital. Things are rather different with preemies now! I was a scary, scary size for 45 years ago.

I'm now 45 and it's been a very, very long time since there was any indication that I was two months early. :)
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was premature, only 3 lbs 7 oz. I spent the first 5 weeks of my life in an incubator, with no one but medical staff allowed to touch me. As it turned out, I was TINY but healthy, other than a bit of jaundice. They kept me isolated until I was 5 lbs and allowed to leave the hospital. Things are rather different with preemies now! I was a scary, scary size for 45 years ago.

I'm now 45 and it's been a very, very long time since there was any indication that I was two months early. :)

Just about word for word what I would have typed (wow lol) except for me it was 53 years ago and my parents were told I would never survive. I wore doll clothes for the first 2 years because baby clothes didn't come that small yet. When I lived, my parents were told I'd never walk - by the time I started school I was just as healthy as any other kid. Maybe a little skinny, but I took care of that LOL!
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I was also a preemie! A month and ten days early...4 pounds..and lost ounces right after.......and in an incubator for a month... ( they actually told my parents I was not alive, because they could not hear a heartbeat when my mom went into labor.... there was placental seperation I think it's called....the Dr's did tell them later a few more minutes and I would not have survived... crazy! ) ...then out I came...and my dad saw my toes wiggle...and then there was pandemonium because they had nothing ready! ;)

Amazing what modern medicine can do....

and LMAO Daydream58.... it has been a very long time too since there was any indication I was early at all... ;) LOLOL.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    oops... quoted the wrong person...lol. ;)
  • elvisneedsboats
    elvisneedsboats Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ah, I guess I should add my version of the "she's dead/she's going to die" story...

Immediately after I was born, they rushed me out of the room. My mom didn't get to see me and they didn't tell her anything. Then a nurse patted her on the shoulder and said, "Don't worry, dear. You'll have others."

!!
  • busymomof6
    busymomof6 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My twins were born 9 weeks early and weight 3lbs10oz and 3lbs 11ozs. They were sent out of town to the NICU and spent their first 5 weeks there. Looking at them today you would never know that they were premature!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!