I need help....what am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Right, you're not eating enough to gain muscle, if anything your burning muscle by eating so little and working out so much. You need to add those calories to what you eat or not work out so much. Your calories are way too low.
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Right, you're not eating enough to gain muscle, if anything your burning muscle by eating so little and working out so much. You need to add those calories to what you eat or not work out so much. Your calories are way too low.

Yup, this is another reason you need a post-workout recovery meal. Your body will continue to burn calories after you stop working out a post-recovery protein shake is ideal to feed your body and keep it from burning muscle during this period. Try a protein shake after your work out, you can find one that's low in calories and not too filling. I use a product called Visalus its 90 calories, 12g of protein, and less than 1g of sugar. I also have that for bkfst mixed with yogurt, cocoa powder, and instant coffee.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Overtraining sucks.
    Without knowing specifics I would say weights 3 times a week and 20mins cardio on off days.
    Eat a lot of protein 1g per lean body mass.
    Drink 8-10 glasses water each day.

And

Untill you get your metabolism revved up start eating every 2-3 hours.
    Add me for more help and tips.
    Hugs!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You may be doing too much and not eating enough. You may be in starvation mode regardless of what the calorie count says. If you overdo physically, you're going to wear yourself out and no, you should not feel that way. Perhaps you need some --- excuse the four letter word --- REST.
    i would say eat more, tbh. most days you net less than 1200

I agree, with net values like yours- you are not giving your body the fuel it needs to do the work you make it do.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    you already heard it but - EAT. Come join us on the women who eat 2000 calories group and learn to eat food. We're not super giants who have high metabolisms but we know that if we burn 500 calories we need to eat those 500 calories.

About half of us (a quarter?) are eating 1700-2100 a day and losing weight and feel great every day.

I have been where you are - I could barely drag myself through a workout because I was so exhausted and my workouts SUCKED, my heart rate never went high, I was dragging myself along my route.

started eating back exercise cals and it made a HUGE difference right away.

now I'm set to .5/week and I always have the energy for a workout and then a second workout (Today was a double workout day, personal training and then C25K).
  • FlexAppeal79
    FlexAppeal79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You may be doing too much and not eating enough. You may be in starvation mode regardless of what the calorie count says. If you overdo physically, you're going to wear yourself out and no, you should not feel that way. Perhaps you need some --- excuse the four letter word --- REST.

^THIS.... Search the thread "Give your body a break" [typed on the first day of a four day "diet"/gym hiatus:happy: ]
  • Joj43
    Joj43 Posts: 54
    Options
    you already heard it but - EAT. Come join us on the women who eat 2000 calories group and learn to eat food. We're not super giants who have high metabolisms but we know that if we burn 500 calories we need to eat those 500 calories.

About half of us (a quarter?) are eating 1700-2100 a day and losing weight and feel great every day.

I have been where you are - I could barely drag myself through a workout because I was so exhausted and my workouts SUCKED, my heart rate never went high, I was dragging myself along my route.

started eating back exercise cals and it made a HUGE difference right away.

now I'm set to .5/week and I always have the energy for a workout and then a second workout (Today was a double workout day, personal training and then C25K).

Hi
    I have joined the group. Thank you so much for suggesting it! See how I go anyway:smile:
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    RisyaLifsheTova Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I agree with Goldfinger. When I started I started working out hardcore. Unfortunetly I wasnt eating enough food to fuel my body. So they put me on 1700 calories at first since I worked out so often. Now I am down to 1500 calories. But yeah you cant rush your body into something its not quiet ready for yet.

You could also go visit a nutrionist....that I think is the smartest idea. :)
  • myladyjanegrey11
    Options
    Hi, you arent doing anything wrong, when you have come so far and lost the weight you have lost thats a good thing, I think you need to remember that when you do a lot of excercising (especially strength training) there will be a decrease in weight loss. your body is actually building muscle.(which is heavier ) You may find that the weight will slow down but your clothes will start to get bigger because of the inches you are losing. it may take time but stick with it. You've come this far, it would be torture to go back.
    hope this has been helpful?
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm interested but I am really ashamed to post my body fat percentage.....oh damn it-that's why we're all here yeah?!WTH.....it's 43.5%. Sad but true :embarassed: Love to know where we go from here....

Joj43,

You want to aim to lose fat and not scale weight. I don't have your weight and that's okay. I am only going to share the first part of the formula that you can use to determine what healthy body fat percentage you should be aiming to get to by losing fat.

You take your body fat percentage and write it as a number and divide it by your weight, this will let you know what body fat percentage you should be aiming to get to.

43.5 / weight = future healthy body fat percentage.

For example, say you are 220 pounds.

43.5 / 220 = 20%

Losing fat takes time and it might take you a year or so to get to 20% body fat percentage and that's a good thing.

If I knew your weight, I could show you actually how much 100% pounds of fat you needed to, to get to 20% body fat percentage.

You can message me if you want. I can show you in private.