Suggestions for Late Night Willpower

Options
While I am trying to lose weight, my spouse is trying to gain. Several nights a week late at night while we're in bed he often asks for several snacks that will essentially equate to a meal. When I am downstairs preparing it, I often have a very hard time maintaining willpower and will take a nibble here, there, and sometimes a bit more than that.

Without going into "long story" detail, no, he will not go downstairs to fix it himself.

That being the case, any advice or suggestions about what I can do to keep my willpower up, or how not to be quite so tempted, etc??

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Can you save some additional calories (eat slightly fewer calories during the day) so that you can continue this behavior with no detriment to your goals?
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Go look in the mirror and note how far you've come. For me, that means pulling up my shirt and flexing my abs. When I see my progress, it drives home how much I DON'T want to screw it up with stupid eating. I want the chance to see the scale a little lower in the morning. If I eat crazy, I eliminate that chance. :)
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to have it already made so all you have to do is go grab it? If not, you could try chewing gum while you're making it.
  • wamaverick
    wamaverick Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Drink water while making his snacks so your less likely to have a nibble.
  • cjhamh
    cjhamh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Maybe try popping a piece of sugarfree gum in your mouth. Since you have something in your mouth already, you may not feel the urge to eat the food that is front of you. Plus, there is a variety of flavors out there now that it may just hit the right spot. It's been helping me stop eating before bed time. Good luck!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is that you are too nice. I'd laugh at my husband if he refused to make his own snacks, especially knowing that I was trying to lose weight.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've heard it suggested by others that if you feel tempted to eat when you shouldn't, try brushing your teeth. You could brush your teeth before you make him a snack and, because few things actually taste good with toothpaste taste in your mouth, you might be less inclined to nibble or worse.
  • cuatesmom
    cuatesmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth so all food tastes gross
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to have it already made so all you have to do is go grab it? If not, you could try chewing gum while you're making it.

Exactly what I was going to say. Chewing gum is wonderful!
  • foxtayle
    foxtayle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    These are great suggestions... Thank you so much! I will give these all a try and see what will work best for me!
  • mavers1
    mavers1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is that you are too nice. I'd laugh at my husband if he refused to make his own snacks, especially knowing that I was trying to lose weight.

seriously, although you say it's a long story it sounds a little bit selfish.

But if I were in your shoes, I totally agree with the sugar free gum, or wait to brush your teeth for bed til right before he wants his snacks
  • Real_Cool_Hand
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one to think that. Please, if he wants to gain and know I am trying to lose... he's not going to see me get out of bed to feed him. If he wants to eat he can go get it himself, once I'm in bed there is no more food!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Just eat at night... as long as you're staying within the calorie limits you should be fine.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Make him get his own snacks!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Just eat at night... as long as you're staying within the calorie limits you should be fine.

I don't think that is a good idea. You should eat during the whole day.
    I eat 5-7 times a day, 3 meals and 2-4 snacks depending on exercise and hunger.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I find that if I keep busy I don't eat. Do you like to knit, crochet or embroider or cross stitch? You have to have clean hands to do any of that, all little crafty projects you can do while propped up in bed keeping your spouse company. Mine likes to have his ice cream after dinner. So i make him his ice cream, and then I sit down at my quilt and work on it while he is eating his ice cream. I am still there with him keeping him company, but I am behind my frame with both hands busy with needle and thread.
  • gxroxy
    Options
    I'm not sure what the "long story" is, but if there is a physical reason why he is unable to fix his own snacks then I understand, and agree with the teeth brushing suggestion, it works for me. Other wise, he is being a bit selfish, and should fix his own snacks. Just my opinion...
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It is astounding to me that anyone who is losing weight would be fixing a snack for someone else after they've gone to bed. I guess I come from a different culture, so I'll try not to be rude. But I may not succeed. For heavens sake he can get his own snack or starve! It is VERY inconsiderate of him to ask you to fix food while you're trying to lose and it is VERY inconsiderate of him to ask you to fix him a snack when you're not going to eat any of it and it is VERY not smart to eat right before you go to sleep. It makes me wonder what he's doing up there while you're in the kitchen fixing the snack????

Get him to fix his own (@#$%) snack in advance and bring it to bedroom before you get in bed. Make him wash the sheets, too.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I don't think that is a good idea. You should eat during the whole day.
    I eat 5-7 times a day, 3 meals and 2-4 snacks depending on exercise and hunger.

You didn't explain why you don't think it's a good idea.

To the OP, unless my husband was physically disabled, there is no way in hell I would get out of bed and prepare him a snack, let alone multiple snacks.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ This.